New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 5 2012, 07:10 PM   #76
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Last Resort was Awesome.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm really enjoying the show so far. A nicely audacious premise, with plenty of chewy subplots and character dynamics to play with. I wish it wasn't on at the same time as BIG BANG THEORY and VAMPIRE DIARIES, though. My DVR can only handle two shows at a time . . . .

(I may have to ditch VD and catch up with it on the reruns . . . .)
Does your cable or satellite provider have a Primetime On Demand channel? On Time Warner Cable the networks have the previous few weeks of episodes of most of their major shows available with little or no commercials the day after they air. Might be worth checking the On Demand listings to see if you have that.

As far as this episode goes, I thought it was another strong showing. When they said the special forces team was coming in, I did not expect that twist that it would be the Russian Spetsnaz. That certainly complicates things with other world powers getting in on the action, and leaves the door open for a greater variety of interesting plotlines in the future.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:34 PM   #77
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Loving the show. The tension and character interactions are all working for me without being too contrived. The SEAL sniper is flirting with cliche, though.

The only thing I didn't like initially about the pilot was the geek girl rattling off technical specs on submarines and other weapons platforms to her boyfriend and random thumb-heads at bars. If she truly is "in-the-know", she wouldn't be spouting a lot of that stuff, especially in mixed company, as it could easily waft into classified-land when it comes to capabilities. I understand it was pure exposition for the audience who didn't have the first clue what a lot of the jargon meant - it just seemed a little abrupt and ham-handed to me. She seemed a lot more subdued in the 2nd ep, and not a very big player (at least, at present) and, ergo, more tolerable.

I have to laugh - once the pilot got rolling and I saw Bruce Davison as Admiral Shepard, the first thing that went through my mind is "he's GOT to be in on the conspiracy". Then once geek girl confronted him and realized he didn't have a clue what was going on, I then thought, shit, this poor guy has played insufferable ass-hats for so long in his career, I can't even look at him without thinking he's typecast as a part of the black-hat crew. I'm hoping he becomes firmly ensconced on the good-guy side for a change, particularly when his daughter was recalling something he taught her about leading an honorable life (dialog escapes me).

And Russians. Good to see them back as a potential adversary, muddying the mix as a third party, clearly interested in acquiring Colorado's cloaking device (yeah, call it what it is ).

So, overall, definitely room for improvement, but pretty off to a pretty good start for a season-one show.
Old October 5 2012, 07:48 PM   #78
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Are there any megaphones in the navy? It would had made comunicating with the ''seals'' much easier.

Could somebody link me anything about that Grozniy incident?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:56 PM   #79
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I have to laugh - once the pilot got rolling and I saw Bruce Davison as Admiral Shepard, the first thing that went through my mind is "he's GOT to be in on the conspiracy". Then once geek girl confronted him and realized he didn't have a clue what was going on, I then thought, shit, this poor guy has played insufferable ass-hats for so long in his career, I can't even look at him without thinking he's typecast as a part of the black-hat crew..
I know what you mean. I saw him in an off-Broadway show once. He was playing a child molester . . . .

It's the same thing with Alice Krige. The minute she shows up, you just know there's going to be something creepy about her.
Old October 6 2012, 02:30 AM   #80
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Apparently there have been at least ten different Battles of Grozny over the years, but the one applicable here is 1994-1995.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:24 AM   #81
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Even though he's probably too old for it I'd rather have Robert Patrick as the special forces guy. That dude just is not working for me.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:24 AM   #82
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

All this show does is make me feel sad for society as a whole.
Old October 6 2012, 07:18 AM   #83
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post

This makes me sad considering all the trash that has hit show...
Old October 6 2012, 08:54 AM   #84
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Apparently there have been at least ten different Battles of Grozny over the years, but the one applicable here is 1994-1995.
I am talking about that specific incident of russians shooting russians.
Thunder posted:
I personally 8 out of 10 times prefer the machiavellian portrayal of politics that is closer to real life like they did it on the Wire or even Game of Thrones.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:29 AM   #85
The Green Mushroom
Commander

I liked it, but some things were still a bit off for me:
  • The Russian transponder that identified itself as TRANSPONDER
  • The COB disagreeing with the captain I can see; the COB trying to frag an officer I just don't buy--neither of them are Vietnam era draftees nor is she directly over him
  • So is this island an independent country? A French colony? Shouldn't there be some government official?
  • Why would a submarine officer ever be inserted into North Korea?
Still looking forward to next week. It almost helps if I think of this as a Star Trek episode: Kirk or Picard has gone rogue rather than follow an evil admiral's orders and the Klingons or the Romulans try to involve themselves (the Russians).

The episode felt like it was the second day of a miniseries rather than standalone episode number two, which I like a lot. This is not the kind of series that strikes me as something that can a "________ of the Week" kind of thing--sort of like Vegas which seems to want to do a mob story as a "Sheriff Investigates the Murder pf the Week."
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:08 PM   #86
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
So is this island an independent country? A French colony? Shouldn't there be some government official?
Series co-creator Shawn Ryan discussed this in an interview that I thought I had linked to earlier, but it turns out I forgot to include the actual link:
How much thought went into building this island, the culture and history of it? How much do you know about this place?

Shawn Ryan: A lot, some of which we can't pull off from a production standpoint.

What do you mean?

Shawn Ryan: Karl and I had a vision of the city on the island, but we found some pictures of it that just proved a little impossible to pull off on Hawaii, so we've had to adjust kind of what the city is. In our minds there was a large central area, sort of like "Deadwood," even bigger than that, and that was just impossible to pull off. Now it's become these pieces. The bar is here and then the hospital is there and these other things over here and we're going to add to that as the show goes on, but it's impossible to make the one sort of big central on the water city that we had first imagined and envisioned when we came up with the show.

But historically, was this always an independent nation?

Shawn Ryan: We think it was French at one point. This was in French Polynesia and we think this was probably the French colonial thing. There is a native population that lives on the interior part of the island, and the exterior is a little bit more expats, faded hippies, people running away from something else in the world, vacationers, adventurers. There are volcanoes to climb here and waves to surf and everything, so we think on the outskirts, where we spend a lot of time, it's a very eclectic international place. And then you go inside and that's where the native population lives and so you get both those elements.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 07:02 PM   #87
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Man, I find it hard to give any fucks about anything that goes in this show. I think the hour long pilot really hurt the development of the cast, because I find none of the characters aside from Chaplin to be interesting and at worst, they're intolerable. The female cast in particular is pretty bad, with the French chick who acts like a bitch all the time being the worst, followed by self-centered military contractor, the XO's wife, Token Female Officer, and finally the Tibetan Fox (Dichen whatever her last name is). I found myself skipping over their scenes a lot in this latest episode, because I just couldn't stand the characters and wanted to get it over with. If anything sinks this show (pun intended), it's going to be the characters, because the premise is pretty interesting, but it can't compensate for the lackluster characters.
Old October 6 2012, 07:22 PM   #88
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I'm normally really tolerant of TV shows. I gave a lot of stuff full seasons that most people bailed on. I just can't get into this show.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:35 AM   #89
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I'm normally really tolerant of TV shows. I gave a lot of stuff full seasons that most people bailed on. I just can't get into this show.
That's how I feel about this show. I want to like it based on the submarine aspect, but that's such a small part of the show and there's so much emphasis on the weak characters that I can give any fucks about this show.
Old October 7 2012, 03:09 AM   #90
propita
Rear Admiral

I'm enjoying the show. Well, I'm enjoying Andre Brougher and how he acts, manipulating but still human.

And I like taking premises raised and thinking about them philosophically. How much would you trust your spouse when confronted with this seemingly inexplicable behavior? Do you follow your captain or his superiors? Do you apply your own thoughts and analyses when you're military or "just follow orders"?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote