RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 804
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 4 2012, 02:13 PM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: If the Daleks then why not the Time Lords?

Holdfast wrote: View Post
The Time Lords are really one of the few alien races the Doctor can be genuinely intellectually intimidated by.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have a situation like the War Games again, the Doctor is actually scared of his own people.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:23 PM   #32
The Wormhole
Admiral

We kinda saw that in The End of Time. After all, if the Doctor wasn't scared of the Time Lords, why then did he grab a gun upon learning they were returning?
Old October 4 2012, 02:44 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral

No doubt the Doctor learned of the President's plan to destroy the universe, which was the point at which he decided to use 'the moment' to end the war.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:50 PM   #34
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
The Time Lords are really one of the few alien races the Doctor can be genuinely intellectually intimidated by.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have a situation like the War Games again, the Doctor is actually scared of his own people.
Yea, obviously we wouldn't want them appearing every week, but, I can't think of any classic interaction with the Time Lords/Gallifrey that I dislike. I'd enjoy seeing him on Gallifrey or having the Time Lords pulling his strings once in a while

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 05:55 PM   #35
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, obviously we wouldn't want them appearing every week, but, I can't think of any classic interaction with the Time Lords/Gallifrey that I dislike. I'd enjoy seeing him on Gallifrey or having the Time Lords pulling his strings once in a while
Yeap...love the timelords, love them harrasing the doctor now and again when they want something.......i would love some day to see them come back and just like the present doctor, step back out of the spotlight and back to their roots of custodians of time and space again.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:45 PM   #36
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Except for their first appearance (where the Doctor and the War Chief shit themselves at the idea of the Timelords appearing), I find the Time Lords desperately dull.

Every time they appear, it's like a super-powered council committee fill with old people waiting for a prostate exam.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 02:31 PM   #37
Romulan_spy
Commodore

If they want to bring back the Time Lords, here is how they could do it. Explain that a handful of Time Lords escaped just before the end. They went back in time and using genetic engineering, over time, cloned an entire new civilization of Time Lords that have been hiding from the universe all this time. After growing in strength, they decide it is time to reassert themselves as the master civilization in the universe. Since they are clones, the show could portray some similarities with the Time Lords from the old Who while introducing some new elements as well. They would not have to behave exactly like the Time Lords of old.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:04 PM   #38
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
If they want to bring back the Time Lords, here is how they could do it. Explain that a handful of Time Lords escaped just before the end. They went back in time and using genetic engineering, over time, cloned an entire new civilization of Time Lords that have been hiding from the universe all this time. After growing in strength, they decide it is time to reassert themselves as the master civilization in the universe. Since they are clones, the show could portray some similarities with the Time Lords from the old Who while introducing some new elements as well. They would not have to behave exactly like the Time Lords of old.
That's what DC did with the Guardians and it didn't make them more interesting.
Old October 5 2012, 07:10 PM   #39
Sci
Admiral

There's nothing cool about an Omniscient Council of Vagueness.
Old October 5 2012, 07:15 PM   #40
paudemge
Captain

The Daleks won the time war.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:29 PM   #41
Sci
Admiral

paudemge wrote: View Post
Uh, no. No one won the Time War. Both sides were defeated by the Doctor.
Old October 5 2012, 08:08 PM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sci wrote: View Post
I dunno. With all the Daleks running around the universe after the Doctor supposedly defeated them, I suppose one could make a case for the Dalek's "victory." At the very least, the Daleks certainly didn't lose the Time War.
Old October 5 2012, 08:13 PM   #43
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Nightmare Moon wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Nightmare Moon wrote: View Post
From what I've seen of old Who, they were a race of jerks. Only the Doctor, the Master and Romana were interesting.
Seeing as how you cite the Master, jerks can be interesting.
Just normal jerks, like ones from your job. Not the kind who try to blow up half the universe.
Your still including the Master though.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:13 PM   #44
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Technically it was a stalemate because The Doctor, The Master & The Daleks still remained. Though I suppose the actual war ended but something of each side survived.
Old October 5 2012, 10:53 PM   #45
Sci
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I dunno. With all the Daleks running around the universe after the Doctor supposedly defeated them, I suppose one could make a case for the Dalek's "victory." At the very least, the Daleks certainly didn't lose the Time War.
That's a bit like saying that just because Germany still exists, it must not have lost World War II.

The Daleks at the end of the Time War were destroyed but for six individuals: The unnamed Dalek from "Dalek," the Cult of Skaro, and the Dalek Emperor. That they have since rebuilt does not mean they won the Time War.