To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 5 2012, 12:37 PM   #346
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

I'd rather listen to them then the pregame gang or the announcers. That network is awful. And yet I still come back every week.
Old October 5 2012, 04:08 PM   #347
tighr
Commodore

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I'd rather listen to them then the pregame gang or the announcers. That network is awful. And yet I still come back every week.
Not really a heckuva lot of choice.

I mitigate that by watching at the bar, where you can't really hear the announcers.
Old October 5 2012, 04:44 PM   #348
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I muted the game last night because the phone rang, then got distracted and forgot I had it on. It wasn't bad with no sound, I think I might be onto something. It lacks the beer of being at a bar, but that is easily remedied.
Old October 5 2012, 08:08 PM   #349
Spider
Dirty Old Man

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I muted the game last night because the phone rang, then got distracted and forgot I had it on. It wasn't bad with no sound, I think I might be onto something. It lacks the beer of being at a bar, but that is easily remedied.
A muted boring football game is almost as good to fall asleep to as baseball.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old October 5 2012, 10:17 PM   #350
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

For the second half of the MLB season, that's about how I felt unless R.A. Dickey was on the mound.
Old October 7 2012, 11:05 PM   #351
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Another defensive TD for the Bears gives them a little breathing room.
Old October 8 2012, 02:45 AM   #352
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

As a Patriots fan, I'm pretty happy after this one. The running game showed up again, they got that ridiculously fast no huddle offense going pretty precisely, and I love the guys on D getting a pass rush on and stripping the ball.

The O-line is still shaky, and the D is definitely the 'bend but don't break' variety, and I was still freaking out with 4-5 minutes left, but nice to see a win over a quality opponent. Loved the clock management at the end of the first half, cringed when then went for it on 4th and 5. Sort of the too deep to kick a FG, too close to punt without a touchback, might as well go for it thing they do.
Old October 8 2012, 03:01 AM   #353
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Frustrating game for the Broncos. I'm not shocked that they lost, but the manner in which they lost was frustrating. Too many pivotal mistakes on the offensive side. Big ones were Thomas turning another sure touchdown into a fumble and McGahee dropping a wide open pass on fourth down and then fumbling to basically end the game. I'm definitely rooting for New Orleans tonight so Denver will only be one game back when they visit San Diego next week.

Also, what was Belichick thinking when he went for it on 4th and 5?!? Reminds me a lot of his famous 4th and 2 call from a few years ago..... is he really so scared of Manning that they can't punt it back to him, even though they were up by 3 scores with 8 minutes to go?

Also, I was shocked when the Pats were trying to phase out Welker at the beginning of the season, and today confirmed that thinking. Why in the world would they not want that guy on the field?!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old October 8 2012, 03:48 AM   #354
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I went to the movies when the Bears went up 20-3. I missed some good 4th quarter stuff.
Old October 8 2012, 04:41 AM   #355
tighr
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Also, what was Belichick thinking when he went for it on 4th and 5?!? Reminds me a lot of his famous 4th and 2 call from a few years ago..... is he really so scared of Manning that they can't punt it back to him, even though they were up by 3 scores with 8 minutes to go?
Can you blame him? Manning was a McGahee fumble away from coming back in prime position to win this one. Manning has done the come-from-21-behind victory thing before.
Old October 8 2012, 04:57 PM   #356
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

In this case, I'll say that yeah, he took an unnecessarily paranoid risk. This wasn't like 2009 where it was a high-scoring shootout. Up to that point, the Denver offense couldn't get anything going and the Pats offense could not be stopped for much more than a drive at a time. Even if Manning suddenly found his mojo (which he ended up doing), there was no reason to assume the the Pats' offense would be unable to run enough time off of a follow-up drive to get additional scores. Denver would have needed some major gifts from the Patriots to overcome that points gap with that little time and without the Patriots pulling away again, and the failed fourth down followed by the Riddly fumble almost made it possible.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old October 8 2012, 07:42 PM   #357
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

By that point, the clock was becoming more of an issue than the defense. Mesko is a good punter, I watch him play every week. Even if you shank it out at the 15 or 20, and not coffin corner it out at the 2, or get a touchback and they still get it at the 20, that is 20-25 more yards they need to go with the clicking ticking away on them instead of getting it right on top of Flying Elvis.

And there was a fumble on the play, Denver could have just as easily recovered and ran it all the way back and score in 12 seconds instead of 2:30 or however quick they could go 82 yards. With timeouts intact an the 2 minute warning left as well.

They run that play all the time though, no sure points and no sure field position if you punt. Plus Gostkowski has looked like he's been drinking from the same well as Billy Cundiff lately, so you don't trust him to hit one from deep on a rainy day.
Old October 8 2012, 09:09 PM   #358
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Not much to say about the Bears' win, although the defense has a truly impressive run of Pick-6s thus far.

Word is that Lovie Smith is making noise about getting an extension already, however, which is incredibly premature, considering that the team has only beaten one team with a winning record thus far (St. Louis), and they really weren't even competitive against Green Bay. Lovie, don't piss off the new general manager who was forced into keeping you for the season (the Bears told any new general manager candidate that he'd have to keep Smith into this season) by prematurely making waves about a new deal. You're still not a very good coach. (Actually, maybe, now that I think about it, I'd like it better if he did make waves...)
Old October 8 2012, 09:34 PM   #359
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Hmmm. I like it... the season goes well for the Bears right when Lovie needs an extension. I'm willing to cede the division to you while my Packers go down in flames for the greater good.

I can enjoy the NFL again. Thanks Timby!
Old October 8 2012, 10:02 PM   #360
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yoda wrote: View Post
Hmmm. I like it... the season goes well for the Bears right when Lovie needs an extension.
This isn't a new thing for the man. After the 7 - 9 misfire in 2009, Lovie was under a "win or you're fired" mandate from Jerry Angelo, who was just starting to catch hell from Ted Phillips. The Bears responded with the 11 - 5 season and NFC Championship Game run that saved Lovie's job.
Closed Thread