Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 5 2012, 08:36 PM   #31
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: The "PLEASE remaster DS9 thread"

Seriously. Do Want.
Old October 5 2012, 09:32 PM   #32
LtChange
Commander

Joker wrote: View Post
Yeah... I'm sure money doesn't come into it.

It's all about what the fans want.
Of course money counts. Money is everything. But read the interview (and it is not the first time they said this): if there is big enough fan demand it will help.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:56 PM   #33
SoM
Commander

Dream wrote: View Post
Were the Bajoran wormhole effects created with CGI? It'll be an added cost if they had to recreate all those scenes to stand up to HD, since there were plenty of them even in the early seasons.
Weren't there just two stock elements - the wormhole flaring open/shut (flipped for ΓQ scenes), and the more rarely seen "traversing the wormhole" background - that make up 95% of the wormhole shots between them?

Similarly, Odo very rarely shapeshifted when you look at it. It's a unique-each-time effect, but not an especially common one.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:53 PM   #34
MikeS
Fleet Captain

LtChange wrote: View Post

Of course money counts. Money is everything. But read the interview (and it is not the first time they said this): if there is big enough fan demand it will help.
I guess irony and sarcasm goes over you every time?
Old October 6 2012, 05:56 PM   #35
LtChange
Commander

MikeS wrote: View Post

I guess irony and sarcasm goes over you every time?
I'm not a native English speaker so I might not get the sarcasm from the first reading, and I tend to respond fast

But sarcasm and irony aside, there is an interesting new interview about DS9 remastering this time around:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbs_adamsgrant3.html

My hopes are high, and I will buy Enterprise if they release it (it seams that there are advanced talk in this matter)
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 06:34 PM   #36
bullethead
Fleet Captain

My hopes are high, and I will buy Enterprise if they release it (it seams that there are advanced talk in this matter)
Well, it looks like ENT Blu-Rays are starting up next year:
Mike Sussman ‏@Mike_Sussman Trippin' down memory lane: just wrapped up an interview for the @StarTrek Enterprise season 1 Blu-Ray set coming next year. #itsabouttime
Let's hope the funds from this go into DS9-R, because ENT doesn't need remastering.
Old October 6 2012, 11:04 PM   #37
DantePD
Ensign

If not a remaster (Which I'd be stupidly happy for.), at least rerelease as a nice Blu-Ray transfer. My DVD copies are VERY well travelled at this point (Having been with me on three continents and two war zones) and are starting to have issues being played...
DantePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:40 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Fan demand = money waiting to be made.
Old October 7 2012, 09:33 PM   #39
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Well, it's been unofficially announced that ENT is going to get released on blu-ray. The blu-ray release of TNG S1 has been successful and the team at CBS seems very happy with the way the project is going. Throwing a bone to the fans by releasing ENT, as well, makes sense. It's also the easiest series to do since it was filmed and aired in HD. I would suspect that if the rest of the TNG releases do well, and if the ENT blu-rays do adequate enough, then CBS will move on to do DS9 next. However, it probably wouldn't be until they finish up with TNG, which will apparently be in 2014.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 10:01 PM   #40
M
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I would definitely buy the entire run of DS9 on Blu-ray. That's just a given for me.
That's how I feel, too. There's no way in hell I wouldn't buy Deep Space Nine on blu-ray. It was my first Trek love and the special connection I have to that series will never change.

I especially look forward to see the model work for the station in hi-def. Also, due to the often very very dark lighting of the scenes, the DVD transfer tends to suck away a lot of the details. It will be great to finally appreciate the artistry that went into this series to the fullest.

I can't wait for this to happen!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 08:47 AM   #41
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Hi,

I'm from Germany and I just signed in here to tell that I'd LOVE to see DS9 as well as Voyager make their way to HD on Blu-ray.
A big kiss and "Thank You!!" to all the people working on this wonderful project.

And I'd also love to see/hear separated music-only-tracks on selected episodes like f.e. "Best of both worlds", which has such a marvellous score.
If it's no big deal I would of course like EVERY episode coming with an audio track.
As I know so many of them already by heart, it would be also a funny experience, as I could do the dubbing all by myself then while watching the episodes with the music only,
I wish all ST series to come in HD, please _MAKE IT SO_!
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:49 AM   #42
JJ-R
Ensign

I would absolutely buy all seven seasons of DS9 on Blu-ray, on release day. I generally wait for a good price on TV seasons rather than buy them straight away. But with DS9, considering the work CBS is putting into remastering Trek and the astounding results, I wouldn't want to wait.

But as for the wisdom of releasing DS9 on Blu-ray, I hope CBS realise that they have an opportunity to market DS9 in a different way to the other Trek shows. Because it's more serialised and the characters' actions are often morally ambiguous, it has as much in common with contemporary serialised dramas as it does with traditional, stand-alone Trek like TNG and Voyager, certainly in the later seasons.

Consequently, I expect a number of new Trek fans will be surprised to discover what DS9 truly is. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that DS9 is being discovered on Netflix and other sources and re-evaluated, free of the competitive assessments during its first run. If CBS choose to market DS9 as an epic, sophisticated drama series as well as another Trek show in HD, they may reach fans on the fence or just people curious about good drama. Promote the fact that DS9 anticipated shows like Battlestar Galactica. Use DS9's critical acclaim to your advantage. Don't just put together a trailer with cliched Trek dialogue, phaser blasts, and aliens doing funky alien stuff. Think bigger. Sell the narrative and the world.

Honestly, I've been disappointed with how little attempt is ever made to distinguish the Star Trek shows in marketing terms. Here in Australia (as in the UK), the slimline DVD sets for all four modern Trek shows follow the same visual template: ship/station, with the captain and another cast member behind them. And on the back, there is NO TEXT at all. For a Trek novice or a casual fan, they have no way to tell how the shows differ from each other and determine which one is for them. No-one would even know ENT is a prequel. The assumption on CBS/Paramount's part seems to have been: the fans know what they want, and no-one else cares, so we won't even bother writing any copy describing the season, or slap a couple of enticing images on the back.

Of course, I'm aware that Trek home video sales have likely been driven largely by Trek fans, and that CBS/Paramount might well have known exactly what they were doing in keeping the marketing minimal. Perhaps the public stigma of Trek is so powerful that it's actually more useful to play on it to welcome in fans than try to overcome it to attract new ones.

But if there is such a concern - and understandably so - about DS9's commercial viability in HD, then I encourage CBS to step outside the traditional Trek marketing box and use the show's progressive approach to their advantage. Arrange media coverage discussing the distinctive aspects of the show. Put together trailers and posters that even make Trek fans agog at how cool DS9 seems. The TNG season 2 trailer on the first Blu-ray demonstrates that CBS can craft a grand, enticing piece of marketing, even from a 1988 season of stand-alone episodes. I hope they take those skills and make DS9's differences from the other Trek shows a marketing asset rather than something to be ignored.
JJ-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 05:24 PM   #43
Adrenaline
Ensign

Definitely agree, I would love to see DS9 on Blu-ray. Rewatching DS9 on DVD for the 3rd time since the original run, while my Blu-ray player upconverts nicely, there are definitely times, especially in the earlier seasons that some remastering could be done.

Like others have said, my first Star Trek episode I watched was The Best of Both Worlds at 6 years old, I was overseas at the time so I was a season behind. A few years later when DS9 aired, that was pivotal for me. The first Star Trek to premiere and I was there watching it from Episode 1 to the end. At the time I didn't know why I loved it so much more than TNG (and later on VOY), but now years after the fact, I can reflect on it. 4th time around now, I can safely say it really came down to the characters and stories. There isn't a character I did not like in DS9 and for the most part I find value in every episode.

The one question I do have though is, with 4k just around the corner, and especially by the time they get around to DS9, wouldn't it make sense to skip Blu-ray and go straight to 4k remastering.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 06:38 PM   #44
Tiberius
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
They used CG throughout the show, but only started using it heavily for space VFX in season 6. They used plenty of stock footage in the last two seasons, so it's not like they went full CG at some point.
You telling me the huge space battles in The Way of the Warrior and in Call to Arms were done with all models instead of CGI?
As is my understanding of it, yes! Incredible, isn't it?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:35 PM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

Though as far as I read,i some of the modesl used in Way of the Warriror, where the ones you could buy in a shop. As most of them where going to get blown up.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote