Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 1 2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: TOS Revisited - New Revelations

Mr. Spook wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.
That actually sounds more like "Where No Man Has Gone Before." The "Charlie" in the title hints at "Charlie X" but Gary Mitchell could have easily been Charlie Mitchell early on. Notice the premise says nothing about an adolescent, but "a very finite man." Was Sam Peeples working off a Roddenberry story idea? Did he read Gene's series outline and pick a premise that sounded most interesting? Or was WMNHGB totally original and this really is "Charlie X?"

Just putting it out there.
Plus, the "accidental occurrence" part does seem to fit WNMHGB better since the Thasians deliberately gave Charlie his power to help him survive.
Old October 1 2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's "Charlie X," but it's also true that there's no real difference in the premises of the two episodes - none at all.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Oh, there's a little difference between the two (Charlie is an adolescent, and an unknown to the crew; Mitchell is an adult, and has an established relationship with the crew, especially Kirk), but they're undeniably similar.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

To be fair, those are particulars, not the premise.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

Fair as always, Maurice.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:16 PM   #21
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
Yesterday, I carefully watched Mantrap and Charlie X and came to some interesting conclusions.
1. Shatner isn't as bad as I remembered, at least not in these two eps.
Shatner is uniformly terrific in early season 1. He's the viewpoint character, and he really carries the show, during the period before they fully flesh out Spock's character and before they establish the Bones banter.

I think Shatner's early excellence is often forgotten by fans because of the direction he went in later – he starts doing his readings in a really broad way, sometimes using Spock & McCoy as straight men. This is very much true in the movies, also true in some of s3. A lot of fans hate his performance in Turnabout Intruder. Ok: but Shatner is serious business in s1, and he's a badass. It's almost a different show in s1, given the focus on Shatner and his intensity.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:25 PM   #22
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Coincidentally, I'm currently reading some fanfic dealing with Kirk's psychological issues in the aftermath of "Turnabout Intruder." Quite interesting take on it.

From what I read in the book Star Trek Lives!, Shatner was quite ill during the week they filmed "Turnabout Intruder." That could have had some negative effect on his performance, but there were parts that were just stupid - like filing his/Janice's nails on the bridge, going over the top with his notion of "feminine" gestures and speech, etc. The actress was much better at playing Kirk than Shatner was at playing Janice.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Yesterday, I carefully watched Mantrap and Charlie X and came to some interesting conclusions.
1. Shatner isn't as bad as I remembered, at least not in these two eps.
Shatner is uniformly terrific in early season 1. He's the viewpoint character, and he really carries the show, during the period before they fully flesh out Spock's character and before they establish the Bones banter.

I think Shatner's early excellence is often forgotten by fans because of the direction he went in later – he starts doing his readings in a really broad way, sometimes using Spock & McCoy as straight men. This is very much true in the movies, also true in some of s3. A lot of fans hate his performance in Turnabout Intruder. Ok: but Shatner is serious business in s1, and he's a badass. It's almost a different show in s1, given the focus on Shatner and his intensity.
i watch the episodes in order and every time I roll back around to season 1, I am re-reminded how great Shatner was in the first season. Besides the "I want to live." alternate evil Kirk-I can't think of too many over the top moments.

He is nearly perfect in first half of the season and right up until 'This side of Paradise'

He then, in the last few episodes Devil, Errand, City, starts to relax just a bit too much. His banter with Spock, more than McCoy in those last few episodes, becomes a little too playful and jokey in some places, but still really solid.

I think if the series had been cancelled after season1 or if Shatner had been hit by a truck (like edith ) he would have been remebered as a terrific actor instead of the parody of himself he slowly but surely became.

I wish the writers, directors or Roddenberry could have said, "pull it back to a slightly more serious tone" and TOS wouldn't be laced with those roll your eyes acting moments.

I almost think if TOS had been cancelled sooner--it would ironically have been remebered more fondly and held in higher esteem.

No Spock's Brain, no Spock riding Kirk like a pony, no Kirk trying to act like a 'female', no pounding his fists on the ground as 'Garth', no reciting/reading the US constitution, no nonsense from I, Mudd, etc.

As a fan I can enjoy those moments somewhat but they once you go down those paths--you can never come all the way back.

Look at the movies, progressivly less serious until TFF falls on its face trying to be funny and they try to pull it back for TUC, but they still felt compelled to have the idiotic book translation scene and Chekov as a doof instead of a competant officer.

long live season 1
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:10 AM   #24
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's true about Shatner's acting early Season One. Top notch. All those early eps, really... very dramatic, theatrical, and quite deadly serious drama. Very little light-heartedness. I get the sense that they were making a serious dramatic program about these people and their jobs and oh yeah, it happens to be in space in the future.

It's only later on in the series do we see Shatner lighten up. And of course, then came in the adventure and fun which is a large part of TOS appeal.

But sometimes, I still would have liked to see more eps played in the more serious dramatic tone of those early Season One eps.
SchwEnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:06 AM   #25
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

You're noticing the Gene Coon shift, as much as any Shatner-acting shift.
Old October 6 2012, 11:59 AM   #26
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Shatner was quite ill during the week they filmed "Turnabout Intruder." That could have had some negative effect on his performance, but there were parts that were just stupid - like filing his/Janice's nails on the bridge, going over the top with his notion of "feminine" gestures and speech, etc.
I disagree with most about Shatner's performance in TI, I feel like he was doing effective visual shorthand, like you might see from a stage actor at the time. More on that episode here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=26
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 01:04 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Shatner was quite ill during the week they filmed "Turnabout Intruder." That could have had some negative effect on his performance, but there were parts that were just stupid - like filing his/Janice's nails on the bridge, going over the top with his notion of "feminine" gestures and speech, etc.
I disagree with most about Shatner's performance in TI, I feel like he was doing effective visual shorthand, like you might see from a stage actor at the time. More on that episode here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=26
I always liked Shatner's performance in this episode. He played mental breakdown well.
Old October 10 2012, 03:53 AM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Uhura - noted and fixed.

Streaming only, gave up DVDs and switched to Streaming with this Blu-Ray box.

If these are the re-mastered discs, many of the effects are highly improved from the original airing.
indeed they are
Old October 11 2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Myko
Commander

It seems plausible that both Peeples and Fontana based their stories around that pitch idea by Roddenberry.
Old October 11 2012, 07:41 PM   #30
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
I wish the writers, directors or Roddenberry could have said, "pull it back to a slightly more serious tone" and TOS wouldn't be laced with those roll your eyes acting moments.
A lot of what makes the second season great to me is the familiarity and banter between the characters. Shatner didn't really go sailing over the top regularly until the third season when bad directors failed to keep him in check.

Grant wrote: View Post
I almost think if TOS had been cancelled sooner--it would ironically have been remebered more fondly and held in higher esteem.
When wasn't Trek fondly remembered? It was "the show that would not die," which never left the air after it entered syndication. It became the template for every SF tv series in the 70's (until Star Wars came out), the comparison they had to live up to ("will Space: 1999 inherit the Star Trek crown?" "it lacks the personalities of Star Trek..." etc).

It was already held in high esteem. The third season didn't drag it down, in fact much of the third season provided concepts and character which were greatly loved by fans, especially in the 70's.

It survived quite well with three seasons and I'm happy to have even the crummy episodes. Yes, indeedy.

The only time I remember TOS getting dissed was when TNG was at its peak. Then TNG went away and the original series regained respect. It's a fickle public.