Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 5 2012, 06:06 PM   #331
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MikeS wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

So HD bloopers?
I've really been racking my brain for weeks over this (I hope I'm not wating my time) and I've just had a crazy thought...

An alternative cut of Shades Of Grey featuring scenes we've never seen before but that Riker would have "seen" from his perspective?!

It fits in with what you (FrontierTrek) said about really blowing our minds and something that the fan community had been asking for for years!
I had the same thought. It might actually make that episode watchable!
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:13 PM   #332
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ha, yeah it would be kind of cool to see slightly different versions of those flashbacks. Either additional footage, or different angles and cuts.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:23 PM   #333
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure the Phase II material will not be an independent feature, but rather interwoven into the main documentary. Additionally, I wouldn't expect anything more than the footage we saw on Star Trek: The Motion Picture's Directors Edition bonus features: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/t...bum=265&page=6
Lol. I know it's just test footage, but that really DOES look like something out of the 70s Galaxy Quest TV show.
Old October 5 2012, 06:24 PM   #334
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I'm guessing new bloopers / outtakes. Which is pretty awesome.
Old October 5 2012, 06:24 PM   #335
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure the Phase II material will not be an independent feature, but rather interwoven into the main documentary. Additionally, I wouldn't expect anything more than the footage we saw on Star Trek: The Motion Picture's Directors Edition bonus features: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/t...bum=265&page=6
Lol. I know it's just test footage, but that really DOES look like something out of the 70s Galaxy Quest TV show.
I'm actually REALLY glad we never got a Trek show made in the 70s. Can you imagine how embrassing it would look to us these days?
Old October 5 2012, 07:10 PM   #336
Grant
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
Today Oct 4, the BBFC listed two supplements for season two---audio commentaries for 'Q Who' And 'Measure of a man'

'Measure runs 57min in the UK speeded video system, so right about 60 minutes in length (or 15 min longer than the standard episodes.

'Q Who' was the usual 45 min.

More supplements will no doubt be added to their site in coming days.
Thanks for pointing that out. Though, I suspect that the actual running time of the extended "Measure" is exactly what the BBFC states -- that is, 57:31 -- even though they have that proviso about a 4% PAL speedup at the bottom of the page. The reason I think this is because the Star Trek: TNG Blu-ray's are the same 24fps everywhere in the world... so PAL speed isn't an issue.

So it's almost exactly 12 minutes longer than the broadcast version. I'm sure the "hybrid extended cut" is longer, however.
Interesting. The movies usually ARE sped up by 4%--wonder why the TV show is not.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:35 PM   #337
StewMc
Commodore

Today Oct 4, the BBFC listed two supplements for season two---audio commentaries for 'Q Who' And 'Measure of a man'

'Measure runs 57min in the UK speeded video system, so right about 60 minutes in length (or 15 min longer than the standard episodes.

Thanks for pointing that out. Though, I suspect that the actual running time of the extended "Measure" is exactly what the BBFC states -- that is, 57:31 -- even though they have that proviso about a 4% PAL speedup at the bottom of the page. The reason I think this is because the Star Trek: TNG Blu-ray's are the same 24fps everywhere in the world... so PAL speed isn't an issue.

So it's almost exactly 12 minutes longer than the broadcast version. I'm sure the "hybrid extended cut" is longer, however.
Interesting. The movies usually ARE sped up by 4%--wonder why the TV show is not.
With bluray there is no PAL or NTSC any more. Because the format supports multiple frame rates in all regions, there is no need for any speed up, in most cases the tv show or movie can be presented in its original format (as long as the TV supports it).
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:37 PM   #338
SoM
Commander

Blu-Ray. The international Blu-Ray spec includes 24p, so they don't change it (annoyingly, it doesn't include *25p* or 50i. The latter's basically UK-only, and I don't think there's a 25p spec at all. This leads to some badly smeared standards-converted Blu-Rays of UK material like Doctor Who to make them 24p so they only need one worldwide version...).

OTOH, a DVD release *would* be sped up.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:23 PM   #339
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I'm actually REALLY glad we never got a Trek show made in the 70s. Can you imagine how embrassing it would look to us these days?
No kidding. All those shaggy 70s hairstyles, drab colors, and cheap looking sets...

And I have a feeling hackneyed episodes like Code of Honor, Justice, and Angel One would have been the norm instead of just the exception.
Old October 5 2012, 10:08 PM   #340
Grant
Fleet Captain

StewMc wrote: View Post

With bluray there is no PAL or NTSC any more. Because the format supports multiple frame rates in all regions, there is no need for any speed up, in most cases the tv show or movie can be presented in its original format (as long as the TV supports it).

I see, but for releases that are on both formats such as the 2009 TOS movie re-releases they listed times that did indicate a speed-up.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:11 PM   #341
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Ryan Adams: It was quite a challenge! You know, we had the VHS… you know, it’s interesting. I mean, thank god we have the technology that we have now, because we were able to ingest that VHS that Mike and Denise found from the writer [Melinda Snodgrass] and basically input it into a software system, and it would go through and tell us, OK – these are all the pieces that we have already from the HD mastering of the episode, but here are all the pieces you’ve got to find that don’t exist on that HD remastered episode. And we would go back to the film and have to search through. I mean, not us personally, but we had a wonderful team that would search through and find and eyeball every single shot until we were able to literally piece it back together like the VHS.
Pretty sure Mr. Adams is mistaken here. The iConform process HTV (Illuminate Hollywood) is using specifically eliminates the need for eyematching shots. It's an automated process. As David Grant states elsewhere in the interview, they are scanning ALL the negatives, so the iConform software is fingerprinting each and every shot (using vectorscope signals probably) based on the video masters that are inputted into the system. It then identifies the exact takes from the scanned negatives. You can read more here:

http://www.htvinc.com/content/conten...=tools&hx=1150

Otherwise, great, great interview! I'm really loving these.

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; October 5 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:12 AM   #342
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
I'd easily give up every bit of Modern Trek for thirteen episodes of Phase II.
Old October 6 2012, 03:41 AM   #343
RAMA
Vice Admiral

catching up on some news...love the interview on trekcore, and intrigued by the promise of something fans have been wanting for a long time? What could that be eh?

RAMA
Old October 6 2012, 02:36 PM   #344
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

And here is Part 3!
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbs_adamsgrant3.html

Lots of awesome bits here:
* Season 2 cinema event confirmed
* Information about the original audio
* I asked again about isolated scores: "if there’s a cry for it from the fans – I wouldn’t be surprised if we did it."
* Enterprise Blu-Rays... "there's talk"!
* DS9 Remastered... "still very hopeful that [DS9] will be one of the next big projects that we do" BUT "Keep writing, and keep buying TNG."

Enjoy!
Old October 6 2012, 03:42 PM   #345
Jefferies
Captain

And here is Part 3!
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbs_adamsgrant3.html

Lots of awesome bits here:
* Season 2 cinema event confirmed
* Information about the original audio
* I asked again about isolated scores: "if there’s a cry for it from the fans – I wouldn’t be surprised if we did it."
* Enterprise Blu-Rays... "there's talk"!
* DS9 Remastered... "still very hopeful that [DS9] will be one of the next big projects that we do" BUT "Keep writing, and keep buying TNG."

Enjoy!
Enterprise on blu ray? Well, I'll be damned. Did not expect that coming out before the completion of TNG Remastered. Crazy thing is I would probably buy it. One, to show my support for Star Trek on blu ray and two to give the show a second chance after it tanked so badly on its original run (I personally hated the show back then). But how will they do it if the CGI is supposed to be in 720p? Thats too low for blu ray.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote