Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old October 3 2012, 03:51 PM   #2431
Rocketeer
Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
I'm pretty out of it (obviously), and I was never really good at this part of the game anyways, so I'll ask:

How do I make money? I know there's a bunch of guides on how to get dilithium, and they pretty much all say the same thing, so that's not really my concern. No, I want EC.

I gather the key is getting stuff to sell on the Exchange (recycling equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it). But what do people buy? Just purples, or are greens (or even blues) good too? I'm max level on both my characters, so it's mostly a factor of getting good drops, right?
Just running 20 DOFF assignments a day will provide you with some Dilithium, ECs, DOFFs, BOFFs, consoles, weapons or equipment. Sell what you don't need on the auction. Just try to plan the assignments so you have a good chance at critical success. You won't get rich quick, but you'll make a decent income.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:54 PM   #2432
Mage
Commodore

Well, downloading as we speak. Curious about this game.
Old October 3 2012, 04:28 PM   #2433
Rocketeer
Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Hey guys. I've got myself a new laptop yesterday, and it's capable of playing STO. So, I was thinking about joining the game. But for a noob, with a game that's been released a few years ago, will it all be a bit overwhelming? Or is it easy to get into??
After the intro, the first missions are Klingon based. After that you'll move on to Romulans, etc...

My suggestions for starting out:

See if there are any free deals for starting players. Sometimes companies offer codes that unlock ships, uniforms or character types.

Get the Borg passive buffs by killing Borg and Borg ships (until you get sick of it). Not a game killer if you skip though.

Don't spend a lot of money on low level equipment as you will outgrow it fast.

When choosing Bridge Officers (BOFFs), look at their passive skills/traits which can't be changed. (Their other skills can be retrained to suit your needs.)

I have the Collector's Edition and Deluxe Digital Download, which gave bonus items. I was able to get the CE for $6 and the DDD for $9. I recommend either or both if you can find at a good price.

Old October 3 2012, 05:32 PM   #2434
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

How do you mess this up?

Also, is it taking anybody else 40+ minutes to get into Earth Spacedock?
Hey, I once had an Entertain Foriegn Digataries disater result that killed every doff assigned (I figure the chef had a bad night and served something that killed everyone.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 06:48 PM   #2435
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

I always found it funny to use the Exocomp to in the 'Discipline Crewman' assignment. I sort of imagined a scenario like this:

Crewman: "Hey, I did nothing wrong!"
Exocomp: "Beep beep. Be be beep"
Crewman: "So what?"
Excomp: "BEEP BEEP BEEP!"
Crewman: "Ok, Ok, I'll stop spying on people in the holodeck"
Exocomp: "Beep."
Crewman: "Can I go now?"
Exocomp: "Beeeep"
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:29 PM   #2436
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I find it funny, that I NEVER have loading problems with ESD and DS9.
I wonder if there is a hidden queue with a higher priority for golds (even if unintended by Cryptic).
There might be. When I had a sub it NEVER took all that long. ESD and DS9 took forever relative to other places, but it was never over five minutes. I would play at all times of day, both when "no one" was on, and at peak times. Now that I don't have a sub, I've noticed longer loading times for pretty much all places.

It could just be that there are that many new people, but I doubt it.
Old October 4 2012, 02:04 AM   #2437
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

SilentP wrote: View Post
I always found it funny to use the Exocomp to in the 'Discipline Crewman' assignment. I sort of imagined a scenario like this:

Crewman: "Hey, I did nothing wrong!"
Exocomp: "Beep beep. Be be beep"
Crewman: "So what?"
Excomp: "BEEP BEEP BEEP!"
Crewman: "Ok, Ok, I'll stop spying on people in the holodeck"
Exocomp: "Beep."
Crewman: "Can I go now?"
Exocomp: "Beeeep"
I love my exocomp. He is my 3d chess master. If he is available, he plays, usually against a vulcan or photonic. Almost always a crit.

I remember one time sending my exocomp, a photonic and three Tholians for shore leave on Andoria. I could just imagine the adventures.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:42 AM   #2438
Rocketeer
Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post

Hey, I once had an Entertain Foriegn Digataries disater result that killed every doff assigned (I figure the chef had a bad night and served something that killed everyone.)

White DOFFs are the redshirts of the lower decks. I never use them on assignments unless no other choice.

Old October 4 2012, 04:48 PM   #2439
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post

White DOFFs are the redshirts of the lower decks. I never use them on assignments unless no other choice.
I now feed all white Doffs to my Fleet's starbase.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 06:29 PM   #2440
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I find it funny, that I NEVER have loading problems with ESD and DS9.
I wonder if there is a hidden queue with a higher priority for golds (even if unintended by Cryptic).
There might be. When I had a sub it NEVER took all that long. ESD and DS9 took forever relative to other places, but it was never over five minutes. I would play at all times of day, both when "no one" was on, and at peak times. Now that I don't have a sub, I've noticed longer loading times for pretty much all places.

It could just be that there are that many new people, but I doubt it.
If it's for 'subs', I wouldn't be too sure unless lifetimers don't count, I still have that kind of trouble. It's usually not so bad, but sometimes it does take me 3-5 minutes to load up.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:09 PM   #2441
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I managed to pick up a mirror luna of the exchange, score!
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 10:09 PM   #2442
Mage
Commodore

Well, pretty hooked already. Still only a few hours into the game, so nothing big yet. Right now I have to scan for anomolous readings in the Paulson nebula. I'm still flying my Centaur-class. After this mission though, I really need to start getting some dilithium. Not sure yet how that works, so I'll look into that this weekend.
Old October 5 2012, 12:37 AM   #2443
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

After this mission though, I really need to start getting some dilithium. Not sure yet how that works, so I'll look into that this weekend.
Look here for all the ways, but for a beginner some easy ways are:

-Do the "Explore Strange New Worlds" mission. You probably take the "Explore [whatever] Cluster" mission anyways, since it's available and easy with some decent XP awards, so when you do this you get a bunch of dilithium to boot. And it's daily, too.

-Do the "Investigate Officer Reports (daily)" mission. You have to do three Foundry missions, but some folks have made some short Foundry missions like the ones you would find in the "Explore Cluster" missions, so this can go pretty quick. You can also do the longer missions, some of which are better than any of the official missions.

-Asteroid mining can get you a few hundred more dilithium, risk-free, every day, plus some random particle traces and stuff if you are good.

This will build up your dilithium stocks slowly (you won't get 8000/day this way), but if you do it every day it adds up, and it's easy.

Of course, the easiest way is to sell Zen, but that costs real money, and it looks like the D/Z exchange rate is going down.
Old October 5 2012, 03:07 AM   #2444
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

After this mission though, I really need to start getting some dilithium. Not sure yet how that works, so I'll look into that this weekend.
Look here for all the ways, but for a beginner some easy ways are:

-Do the "Explore Strange New Worlds" mission. You probably take the "Explore [whatever] Cluster" mission anyways, since it's available and easy with some decent XP awards, so when you do this you get a bunch of dilithium to boot. And it's daily, too.

-Do the "Investigate Officer Reports (daily)" mission. You have to do three Foundry missions, but some folks have made some short Foundry missions like the ones you would find in the "Explore Cluster" missions, so this can go pretty quick. You can also do the longer missions, some of which are better than any of the official missions.

-Asteroid mining can get you a few hundred more dilithium, risk-free, every day, plus some random particle traces and stuff if you are good.

This will build up your dilithium stocks slowly (you won't get 8000/day this way), but if you do it every day it adds up, and it's easy.

Of course, the easiest way is to sell Zen, but that costs real money, and it looks like the D/Z exchange rate is going down.
At Starfleet Academy, in the northmost building, you can do the mid-term daily. It's answering a question about the game history up to current day. It takes no more than a minute or two, and pays 480 dilithium. And all the answers to the test can be found at http://www.stowiki.org/Lore

There are also three investigate officer reports at the academy. Just search for 'academy quickie' The location of those missions is outside the building where you took the test, by the water.

In less than five minutes you have almost 2000 dilithium.

Do those when you are under a time crunch for your dil. But you really should do a selection of foundry missions, many are excellent.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:57 AM   #2445
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

You can farm dilithium at the Academy event as well. You run around for an hour to collect particle fragments and can get up to maybe 3000-4000 Dilithium if you are lucky.

Also, do Duty Officer assignments, which you get access to at level 7. They dont give you much at that point, but every bit helps.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote