Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 26 2012, 02:58 AM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Release schedule for remainder of 2012/2013?

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
I am not familiar with the last two TOS authors listed, Leisner and Mariotte? Have they written any previous Trek novels I may know?
Along with the stuff already mentioned Leisner also wrote 3 SNW stories, the SCE novella "Out of the Cocoon",and the Constellations short story "Ambition". Along with the TLE novel, Mariotte also wrote the SCE novella "No Surrender".
snakespeare wrote: View Post
cml898 wrote: View Post
... on DS9's 20th anniversary.
DS9, yay! I, too love it.

But aren't the characters from DS9 all caught up in the Typhon Pact series? So I'm guessing that means Mack's trilogy will advance the stories of their lives a bit, too.

But yeah! I hope there's a novel celebrating the 20th later in the year.
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
snakespeare wrote: View Post
But aren't the characters from DS9 all caught up in the Typhon Pact series? So I'm guessing that means Mack's trilogy will advance the stories of their lives a bit, too.
The two recent Typhon Pact novels are very much DS9 stories, which also feature the TNG cast in a supporting role.

Though I'm under the impression that David Mack's trilogy is very much a TNG story, as it is meant to be a celebration of TNG's 25th anniversary.
Yeah, it's just marked as TNG so that would pretty much indicate to me that it's focused solely on the E-E crew. I think at this point anything marked as a Typhon Pact will probably focus on non-series specific characters or will be crossovers, and the stuff marked as a specific series will just focus on the characters from that series.
Old September 26 2012, 03:37 AM   #32
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I think at this point anything marked as a Typhon Pact will probably focus on non-series specific characters or will be crossovers, and the stuff marked as a specific series will just focus on the characters from that series.
Well, no, because we've had Typhon Pact novels that are strictly TNG or strictly Titan or whatever.

It's really quite simple: a book is labeled Typhon Pact if it is about the political alliance called the Typhon Pact or its member nations. If it's not about the Pact or its members (or at least not primarily about them), then it won't be called Typhon Pact, any more than a book would be labeled Klingon Empire if it weren't about Klingons. There's no special formula or code behind it; it's exactly what it says on the tin.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:24 AM   #33
JD
Admiral

Oh, that's right. I forgot we have gotten TP books that did focus on a single cast. I was thinking they had all had characters from at least two series.
Old September 26 2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Fer
Commander

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
Fer wrote: View Post
JUN: TOS A Conflict of Strangers by William Leisner
Amazon has that listed as The Shocks of Adversity now. I guess the title is still in flux.
The Shocks of Adversity should now be the final title.
Thanks for the info! I would update the list again, but the edit button has vanished. I guess it's only possible to edit posts within the first 24 hours.
Old September 26 2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Fer wrote: View Post
I would update the list again, but the edit button has vanished.
Just noticed that TOS: "Devil's Bargain" by Tony Daniel, released end of February for a March 2013 publication date, wasn't on Memory Alpha yet. Fixed.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:55 AM   #36
KQuita
Lieutenant

any more than a book would be labeled [I wrote:
Klingon Empire[/I] if it weren't about Klingons.
Speaking of which, I sure wish they would bring the Klingon Empire series back.
KQuita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 08:15 PM   #37
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

The DRGIII book Star Trek: The Original Series: Allegiance in Exile, has a synopsis on Amazon:

Captain James T. Kirk embarks on a mission that he may soon regret in this all-new Original Series adventure from the New York Times bestselling author.

A beautiful green world, rich in fertile soil and temperate climate…a textbook Class-M planet that should be teeming with life. Scans show no life-signs, but there are refined metals, including those associated with a space-faring race…and a lone city. But where are all of the inhabitants? Captain James T. Kirk leads a landing party from the U.S.S. Enterprise, hoping to get some answers.

The away team discovers a city in ruins, covered by dust, utterly bereft of life. Tricorder readings indicate that this is no ancient metropolis—it has been deserted only for a year. And just beyond the citadel lies what appears to be an ancient spaceport…a graveyard of ships that have clearly been sabotaged.
With these ruins too far from either the Klingon or the Romulan Empires, the Enterprise crew can only wonder: Who could have done this? And could this unnamed threat now pose an imminent danger to the Federation?

I am lookking forward to this one
Old October 2 2012, 10:59 PM   #38
JD
Admiral

Sounds good to me!
Old October 4 2012, 11:16 PM   #39
JD
Admiral

StarTrek.com has revealed the cover for Allegiance in Exile.
Old October 4 2012, 11:53 PM   #40
Reanok
Commodore

I'm definitely looking forward to getting Allegience in exile and the other TOs novels coming out next year!And especially the Ds9 20th anniversary novel.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:16 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Interesting... they've added a The Original Series subtitle. And it looks like a new direction for the cover design overall.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:30 AM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Interesting... they've added a The Original Series subtitle. And it looks like a new direction for the cover design overall.
Interesting. I admit I'm dying to see the cover for The Weight of Worlds.

Last edited by Greg Cox; October 5 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:50 AM   #43
beamMe
Fleet Captain

It is overall a very good direction, I think.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 02:23 AM   #44
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Love the cover, but still unsure about the book. What happened to the original description that had Kirk as an admiral regreting the dirction of his life?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 03:12 AM   #45
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, the DVDs have always been labeled "Star Trek: The Original Series" and even though TAS is jsut titled Star Trek, its DVD set is Star Trek: The Animated Series. Honestly, given Paramount/CBS seems to stamp subtitles on everything Trek, I was surprised Trek XI was just titled Star Trek with no subtitles at all.