RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,879
Posts: 5,222,127
Members: 24,230
Currently online: 744
Newest member: zombie1701

TrekToday headlines

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 4 2012, 09:28 PM   #106
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: The Genesis planet...

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
explosion throws at least some of whatever Genesis is on Regula (it was a pretty damn big explosion)
It wasn't that big.
I'm sure you are right.









beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:33 PM   #107
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
explosion throws at least some of whatever Genesis is on Regula (it was a pretty damn big explosion)
It wasn't that big.
I'm sure you are right.









And it would still have to travel a ways to get to Regula. Or did you forget that while the nebula is visible from Regula, the planet was not visible from as close to the Nebula as they were before going in.

Oh and as for

beamMe wrote:
It doesn't introduce some new properties of Genesis, that were never stated in the movie anyway.
They never said the wave could magically fly through space to find a planet to change, where as they said it could change an equal mass into living mater which in making a planet is a bit of a stretch but still possibly with in the abilities of the device. One (your point) is something that goes against how the device was shown to operate while another (not your point) is a stretch of an established ability of the device.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:55 PM   #108
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: The Genesis planet...

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

And it would still have to travel a ways to get to Regula. Or did you forget that while the nebula is visible from Regula, the planet was not visible from as close to the Nebula as they were before going in.
And we don't see the explosion contracting again to form a planet - this still doesn't shake your interpretation.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Oh and as for

beamMe wrote:
It doesn't introduce some new properties of Genesis, that were never stated in the movie anyway.
They never said the wave could magically fly through space to find a planet to change, where as they said it could change an equal mass into living mater which in making a planet is a bit of a stretch but still possibly with in the abilities of the device. One (your point) is something that goes against how the device was shown to operate while another (not your point) is a stretch of an established ability of the device.
What we've seen of the abilities of the device, is how it's introduce into an already existing planetary/planetoid body and that it re-forms that.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:20 PM   #109
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

And it would still have to travel a ways to get to Regula. Or did you forget that while the nebula is visible from Regula, the planet was not visible from as close to the Nebula as they were before going in.
And we don't see the explosion contracting again to form a planet - this still doesn't shake your interpretation.
Actually I could have sworn it does that in the director's cut.

Either way the planet seems molten at first which is more in line the planet having formed instead of being changed by the genesis device.

Besides its not just MY interpretation last time I checked, the tie-in guys seem to believe this interpretation as well. heck its been pointed out that the script writers may share this interpretation and I have yet to see more than one or two people believe your interpretation.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Oh and as for

beamMe wrote:
It doesn't introduce some new properties of Genesis, that were never stated in the movie anyway.
They never said the wave could magically fly through space to find a planet to change, where as they said it could change an equal mass into living mater which in making a planet is a bit of a stretch but still possibly with in the abilities of the device. One (your point) is something that goes against how the device was shown to operate while another (not your point) is a stretch of an established ability of the device.
What we've seen of the abilities of the device, is how it's introduce into an already existing planetary/planetoid body and that it re-forms that.
Yeah, and we haven't seen any evidence that the genesis wave can expand the distance of a good chunk of a star system to reach a planet and still change it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:52 PM   #110
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: The Genesis planet...

Timo wrote: View Post
One point relevant to the name change is that the star didn't change. That is, the action never ventured sufficiently far away from the star of Regula that the star of Genesis could be a different star.

We sometimes hear that Trek locations are known by the name of the one relevant planet, sometimes by the name of the star. If the relevant planet changes, then that name probably is the informative one, and the star system now has to go by a different name. And of course the system can go by multiple different names: Ceti Ypsilon system (say), Regula system, Genesis system. Few would have even heard the name of the star or the planetoid before Genesis made the location famous...

Timo Saloniemi
The star shining on Genesis is the same as the one for Regula? Source please?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:59 PM   #111
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: The Genesis planet...

Timo wrote: View Post
We must assume that if it is matter, Genesis can work with it.
...But solely for the purpose of turning it into life-generating matter, according to Marcus. You can't build a planet (or a star!) out of moss.
But when you can rearrange that moss into whatever you want, this point doesn't apply.

Yes they do certainly rise.
Not on camera, I don't think. The camera simply moves along the surface, marred with craters visible from great heights. About thirty seconds into the ride, we close in on fuzzy orange mountains which then turn grey and sharp and then acquire snowcaps as the landscape acquires water and vegetation. The zoom-in would obscure all evidence of cratering: the mountains we see would not have been visible in the early moments of the simulation at all. In the subsequent zoom-out, water in turn obscures everything.

To say that mountains "rise" in the transition from fuzzy orange to sharp grey is overstating the case: there is no vertical movement there to be seen.

I'd say the orange fuzziness is the exact same thing we see on the main viewer after our heroes have made good their escape. It just lingers longer in reality than in the simulation. And involves just the sort of small scale changes demonstrated in the simulation.

Timo Saloniemi
For those of you playing at home, here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbWC...eature=related

Firstly, the only features seen on the moon are circular craters before the effect. None of these circular craters is seen on any part of the surface once the wave has crossed it. Therefore the surface topography must be changing - and that means parts of the surface are rising and/or sinking.

Secondly, at 27 seconds in the video, you can clearly see that the terrain ahead of the camera is flat. By 29 seconds, the previously flat section has risen to form mountain peaks. You may disagree and explain it away by saying there's orange fuzziness, but the line of the horizon clearly changes.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:02 AM   #112
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
explosion throws at least some of whatever Genesis is on Regula (it was a pretty damn big explosion)
It wasn't that big.
I'm sure you are right.









And it strains credibility to me to think that a planet that is quite a long way from the source of the explosion would be turned into a planet (which, let's face it, was small enough that it's gravity couldn't even hold onto an atmosphere), while all the matter at the location of the explosion would have nothing done to it.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:07 AM   #113
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: The Genesis planet...

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

And it would still have to travel a ways to get to Regula. Or did you forget that while the nebula is visible from Regula, the planet was not visible from as close to the Nebula as they were before going in.
And we don't see the explosion contracting again to form a planet - this still doesn't shake your interpretation.
Actually I could have sworn it does that in the director's cut.
I just watched it, and at 1:34:51, when Carol comes onto the bridge, Kirk turns and says, "My God, Carol, look at it." You can see the viewer as he speaks, and you can see a rain of molten rock falling onto a forming planet that is clearly expanding. Makes sense if it is forming a planet out of the nebula material.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:28 AM   #114
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: The Genesis planet...

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
just watched it, and at 1:34:51, when Carol comes onto the bridge, Kirk turns and says, "My God, Carol, look at it." You can see the viewer as he speaks, and you can see a rain of molten rock falling onto a forming planet that is clearly expanding. Makes sense if it is forming a planet out of the nebula material.
This could also be explained as: matter thrown this way by the explosion and caught Regula's gravity well - the observed "expansion" of the planet could actually be just the Enterprise closing in on Regula - the glow is the same phenomenon we see in the presentation video.

Boy, this is fun.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:34 AM   #115
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
just watched it, and at 1:34:51, when Carol comes onto the bridge, Kirk turns and says, "My God, Carol, look at it." You can see the viewer as he speaks, and you can see a rain of molten rock falling onto a forming planet that is clearly expanding. Makes sense if it is forming a planet out of the nebula material.
This could also be explained as: matter thrown this way by the explosion and caught Regula's gravity well
Okay how far do you think the Nebula is from Regula? Because you seemed to think it's closer than it looked in the film.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:41 AM   #116
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: The Genesis planet...

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
The star shining on Genesis is the same as the one for Regula? Source please?
Which other star would it be?
Whether Genesis is the re-formed Regula or the exploded and collapsed Mutara Nebula, it's in the same system; the Enterprise never travelled very far when she left the orbit around Regula.
There isn't a lot of (if any) time-cutting in the editing in that whole sequence.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:46 AM   #117
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: The Genesis planet...

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
just watched it, and at 1:34:51, when Carol comes onto the bridge, Kirk turns and says, "My God, Carol, look at it." You can see the viewer as he speaks, and you can see a rain of molten rock falling onto a forming planet that is clearly expanding. Makes sense if it is forming a planet out of the nebula material.
This could also be explained as: matter thrown this way by the explosion and caught Regula's gravity well
Okay how far do you think the Nebula is from Regula? Because you seemed to think it's closer than it looked in the film.
How could I know?
It is close enough to be reached by the Enterprise in a relatively short time - and she can't have had full impulse power since the Reliant could still "outrun" her.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:56 AM   #118
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post

This could also be explained as: matter thrown this way by the explosion and caught Regula's gravity well
Okay how far do you think the Nebula is from Regula? Because you seemed to think it's closer than it looked in the film.
How could I know?
It is close enough to be reached by the Enterprise in a relatively short time - and she can't have had full impulse power since the Reliant could still "outrun" her.
Doesn't means its in magic explosion wave of magic range, plus the Reliant and Enterprise were flying around in the thing for a while so it seems pretty deep so I'm still trying to figure out how this magic explosion wave of magic range is supposed to reach Regula in the time it takes to make any sense in this film.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:06 AM   #119
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: The Genesis planet...

beamMe wrote: View Post
This could also be explained as: matter thrown this way by the explosion and caught Regula's gravity well - the observed "expansion" of the planet could actually be just the Enterprise closing in on Regula - the glow is the same phenomenon we see in the presentation video.
As we pointed out, the script specifies it will look the same, only much bigger:

The "Genesis Effect" WE SAW in its earliest experiments, now seems familiar on a gigantic, cosmic scale. The blinding flash at first, followed by the same tumbling turbulence of the miniature test. It is awesome.
"Gigantic cosmic scale". Doing so much more, to the whole damn nebula, than we saw to the moon in the presentation video.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:11 AM   #120
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The Genesis planet...

Well if we use real time we can sort of work out the distance.

If we assume a speed of .25c and a travel time of two minutes we get

~5.6m miles
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.