RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Posts: 5,429,528
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 492
Newest member: The Great Duck


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate
Excellent 19 36.54%
Above Average 20 38.46%
Average 11 21.15%
Poor 2 3.85%
Horrible 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 4 2012, 11:07 PM   #61
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Guess what?

No, seriously. I'm proven absolutely correct;
from this interview
What was the first germ of the idea for Looper?
Back before Brick, I wrote a short film that I never ended up shooting: hit men in the present who work for a mob in the future who send their victims back in time. A guy is sent his future self, he lets him run, and the whole short was them chasing each other across the city. That sat in a drawer for 10 years until after I made Brothers Bloom.
Next time give me a challenge!!
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:10 PM   #62
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Guess what?

No, seriously. I'm proven absolutely correct;
from this interview
What was the first germ of the idea for Looper?
Back before Brick, I wrote a short film that I never ended up shooting: hit men in the present who work for a mob in the future who send their victims back in time. A guy is sent his future self, he lets him run, and the whole short was them chasing each other across the city. That sat in a drawer for 10 years until after I made Brothers Bloom.
Next time give me a challenge!!
You are still wrong, because the entire basis of your argument is wrong.

You claimed that the writer-director was compelled by external forces to "pad out" a "scant screenplay" from the "core idea" of the loopers. This is, in fact, not correct. It was Johnson's own decision to tell the story this way, and he obviously realized that the looper concept itself wasn't enough to hang a feature film on, so he tied in the larger themes and built the story around those. The looper concept is the catalyst for the real story.

You claimed he should have "stuck to his guns," when in fact he made the exact movie he wanted--he's said as much.

Your assertion that he was forced by others to pad out a short screenplay is simply wrong.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:15 PM   #63
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

My assertion was that this started as a short film, and the core of that film was not about family and a look violence and raising kids right, as you say, but was about the Looper concept and the idea of meeting and having to kill your future self. That was the core, and the citation I provided proved it. Sorry.. he added the other stuff to it to make a more rounded screenplay.

Even watching the movie you can feel the padding the stretchmarks, and the shift in focus.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:19 PM   #64
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

The filmmaker rarely has much control over how his movie is promoted by the studio, including the cut of the trailer.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:25 PM   #65
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Circus Peanut wrote: View Post
The filmmaker rarely has much control over how his movie is promoted by the studio, including the cut of the trailer.
True.
Clearly the hook of the movie though is not a a sappy drama of violence and family (these are themes that came when the idea was expanded on).. clearly what helped him fill up that blank page was the idea of the Looper and the time travel..
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:40 PM   #66
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
My assertion was that this started as a short film, and the core of that film was not about family and a look violence and raising kids right, as you say, but was about the Looper concept and the idea of meeting and having to kill your future self. That was the core, and the citation I provided proved it. Sorry.. he added the other stuff to it to make a more rounded screenplay.

Even watching the movie you can feel the padding the stretchmarks, and the shift in focus.
I took issue with your original assertion that the writer/producer was forced by outside interference to pad out his script. This clearly did not happen. You were wrong.

The rest is just you trying to backtrack in order to save face.

No kidding the script began as the looper concept, but you asserted that everything else was added just to pad it out to feature length, as if the writer/director never intended to do so and only did it because of studio interference or whatever your explanation is.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:45 PM   #67
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

No that was not what I said as an assertion.. the comments of padding being forced by the studio is a comment to be pointedly critical about how the film felt. Critics do this all the time.. sometimes in a critical review, even by professionals like Ebert, the line between fact and how a film felt is blurred because critics will make the comment with equal force. I will apologize insomuch as I can but I will not agree with you at all that I am have, or will backtrack in any way. I was correct about how the idea started I still maintain that much of the rest of the story was padding. It might have had its own sense of heart and emotion, but it derived form a need to turn a short subject to a feature length film.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:08 AM   #68
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
No that was not what I said as an assertion.. the comments of padding being forced by the studio is a comment to be pointedly critical about how the film felt. Critics do this all the time.. sometimes in a critical review, even by professionals like Ebert, the line between fact and how a film felt is blurred because critics will make the comment with equal force. I will apologize insomuch as I can but I will not agree with you at all that I am have, or will backtrack in any way. I was correct about how the idea started I still maintain that much of the rest of the story was padding. It might have had its own sense of heart and emotion, but it derived form a need to turn a short subject to a feature length film.
Critics just make things up out of whole cloth about how a given film was made? I doubt that.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:16 AM   #69
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Maybe not, but they will state in an almost factual way how the the film feels, if it ift contradicts some of the actual facts. If a film feels more like a production made by the studio suits, or if a sequel hits all the beats of the original, a critic will state those things as if fact, because that's how it feels when watching it. Usually they are correct, but even if their are not, the film will usually play as if they are.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:07 AM   #70
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I use the same argument with the Dark Knight Rises the people that praise it to the level of the Dark Knight are simply not being honest with themselves. They can't buy Bruce being able to function as Batman with no cartilage is leg in a superhero film that attempts to be at all realistic. They don't like the plotholes (such as how Bruce got back into the city) or the mysterious science (punching a broken back to heal it, et) in a film series that was more grounded in story, drama, and morality. I wish those people were honest with themselves and wouldn't blindly praise something that clearly doesn't merit accolades.
Right, because nobody could possibly disagree with you about the quality of a movie.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:13 AM   #71
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Maybe, maybe not.. I just think that people have to be honest.. honest with themselves!
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 03:33 AM   #72
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:
They don't like the plotholes (such as how Bruce got back into the city)
Really?

That's not a plot hole - just something you wanted to see.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 03:49 AM   #73
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

For the sake of brevity I didn't feel like listing all the plot holes.
But that is a valid one. He's bankrupt, no passport, in another country, and tries to enter an American City that is in lock down.

Plothole!
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 04:56 AM   #74
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

He's Bruce Wayne, he knows smugglers in foreign countries, he has many other connections on both sides of the law, other people got in, he has access to a flying vehicle, he's Bruce freaking Wayne.

Not a plot hole. Just something you didn't see.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:13 AM   #75
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

he has access to a flying vehicle
considering how necessary this stupid ugly vehicle was to the resolution of the convoluted plot, they might as well have made him turn to Superman instead of Batman so he could fly. The story would have been the same in every way if they did
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bruce willis, emily blunt, jeff daniels, joseph gordon levitt, looper

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.