Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 12 2002, 06:11 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Bakula Not Creatively Involved In 'Enterprise'

Rumours abounded prior to the Enterprise premiere that Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) was to have a creative role on the series, but according to the actor, this was never going to be the case.

"Never believe what you read," Bakula said in a question and answer session at EnterpriseUK.tv. "I was hired as an actor only. I have input into my character and a good relationship with Rick [Berman] and Brannon [Braga] once I get a script in my hands. They are very collaborative."

Bakula was attracted to the series because of its more contemporary setting. "I think the idea of Enterprise being the first Starship out there and only 150 years from today allows everyone access to the idea of being on that ship, that excitement, fear, awe, etc. The opportunity to discover, make mistakes, and the responsibility of carrying humanity into space makes it exciting for everyone."

The special effects wizards are integral to making this vision of the future a reality, and it's a contribution Bakula appreciates enormously. "The biggest surprise for me is always what the effects teams come up with," he said. "During the pilot I remember saying that I sure hoped these guys were good, because a large part of the success of the pilot and subsequent success of the show rested on their shoulders. Of course, I needn't have worried, as their work has been stupendous."

Working on Enterprise has allowed the actor to spend more time with his family. "One of the reasons I took this job was to be home more (I'm home every night) so that I could spend more time with my family," he said. "Our shooting schedule is varied, so some times I'm around a lot, and some times the days are long, but overall I try to be as present in their lives as I can."

The full question and answer session, in which Bakula also talked about the possibility of working with fellow Quantum Leap actor Dean Stockwell again, can be found here at EnterpriseUK.tv.

Old January 12 2002, 07:24 AM   #2
John Sullivan
Commodore

Re: Bakula Not Creatively Involved In 'Enterprise'

This should be the "breaking news story" on CNN right now. After all, we all know that a soliciter of political prostitution (like all of the corporations are who give to both sides to kiss the ass of elected politicians) just happened to give to the election campaign of President Bush ...

And ... what's up with this "soccer / hockey mad killer reprise of Friday the 13th" that I've had to turn off every time I've seen CNN air it this week?

Scott, you are now in a perfect position to leverage Rick Berman to set things straight - if the report is true. People at the Paramount Lot who hang around Stage 18 for a living say you have tremendous influence on the production of the show. Are you calling 50 people liars?

Or, have you gone the way of Linda Park, who went from "the official webmaster will send you a signed picture" to "we won't even accept mail - nor have the courage to take the Snail Mail links down or tell anyone we're not getting their mail ... because we're waiting for the asteroid to hit Earth or for the fruitcake to send Anthrax letters to us - whichever comes first - and everything you've sent us since September 11th got incenerated on impact, by the way."

This story really pisses me off.
It really does. I can expect Tom Dashell to open his mouth and tell a lie for political correctness every time, but this story is like the unveiling of the guy behind the curtain in The Wizard Of Oz.

[This message has been edited by John Sullivan (edited January 12, 2002).]
Old January 12 2002, 12:05 PM   #3

Yeah, all those 'I'm in it because I've got creative input' stories in the summer now get blown out?

As do the 'I'm definately here for two years then we'll see how it's going..'quotes?

Old January 12 2002, 07:42 PM   #4

Man, what a load of Denebian Crap. Talk about two-faced? It's well known that, in the beginning, as he began talks with Paramount about taking the role of Archer, he demanded a measure of creative input not only on his character, but the show itself. Topping that off, he also, reportedly, got a clause in his contract that, if he doesn't like the way things are going after 3 years, he's got the option to walk or take a more active role in the show's production. That's why the initial negotiations took so long, and he threatened to walk several times, because the Studio refused to give in to his demands for creative input and certain options in his contract. Well, guess what? He pulled it off. Now...

He's playing Studio Ball. His old pal, Gary McCluggage, former Prez of Paramount's Tv Prod., an old crony of his from his "Quantum Leap" days, and, one of the key figures in securing the sweetest ever deal for a Star Trek lead, is on the outs, and I figure Scotty's learning to be a team player.

Man, I really had high hopes for that guy, and now--this is the biggest load of **** to come down the pike since the Supreme Court declared George W. President. What a waste...

------------------
"He is winding the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike."--William Shakespeare

Old January 12 2002, 11:16 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah -- I remember people here *insisting* that they knew Bakula had creative input.

People at Paramount were laughing then.

Fact is, he never did, never negotiated for it, and never said that he had it. His negotiations focused on financial matters and his production company.

------------------
"The show determines canon, not some derivative work." --Lezzie Borden, TrekBBS
Old January 13 2002, 03:02 AM   #6

Whew, we went from the President to Bakula in one fell swoop. Then Dennis Bailey stole the words right out of my post.

Old January 13 2002, 03:07 AM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SammoSammo:
Whew, we went from the President to Bakula in one fell swoop. Then Dennis Bailey stole the words right out of my post.
Bad of me, I know. But I've been waiting most of a year for this to come around.

------------------
Old January 13 2002, 04:34 AM   #8
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

How did this rumor even get to be believed enough that Bakula would be even asked about it? He never said anything about it. Someone just mentioned it while he was negotiating for the role and then boom people that it was true with no evidence whatsoever.
Old January 13 2002, 07:48 AM   #9
Miri
Captain

Originally posted by Worf999:
How did this rumor even get to be believed enough that Bakula would be even asked about it? He never said anything about it. Someone just mentioned it while he was negotiating for the role and then boom people that it was true with no evidence whatsoever.
Quite right. In fact, I remember quite positively that he WAS asked about this and he said the same thing, that he did NOT have creative input. However, some people prefer to believe that the guy is lying. Of course, I can't imagine why they think he would bother to. Most actors would BRAG about having more control than they do and now faced with one who has told the facts right from the start, some trolls would prefer to believe an unfounded rumor. How utterly ridiculous! And.... proof positive that said trolls obviously know nothing about Scott or they'd know that their ascertains are a ridiculous pile of.....well, you know what ;-).

Old January 13 2002, 07:53 AM   #10
Miri
Captain

Originally posted by Christina:
Yeah, all those 'I'm in it because I've got creative input' stories in the summer now get blown out?

Precisely!. I absolutely dare you to show me anywhere where you heard or read Scott say that. You may have heard a rumor saying that he was looking for creative control as a reason to sign his contract, but where did that rumor start? Certainly not with Scott who has said even before this interview that he never asked for it and was never given it. I humbly suggest you do some research next time before you believe rumors and innuendos perpetrated on these boards.

Old January 13 2002, 07:58 AM   #11
Miri
Captain

Originally posted by John Sullivan:

Scott, you are now in a perfect position to leverage Rick Berman to set things straight - if the report is true. People at the Paramount Lot who hang around Stage 18 for a living say you have tremendous influence on the production of the show. Are you calling 50 people liars?

[This message has been edited by John Sullivan (edited January 12, 2002).]
You, sir, have no clue. Having influence is a natural way of life for the star of ANY series, but 'having influence' is a far, far different thing from having creative control. Care to name ONE of those 18 people who claim otherwise? I didn't think so.

Next time, you, too, need to do some homework before calling someone, ANYONE, a liar. And, if you knew anything about Scott at all, you'd know that you made a particularly bad choice of a person to point the finger at.

Old January 13 2002, 08:06 AM   #12
Miri
Captain

Originally posted by Tamarlayn the Great:
Man, what a load of Denebian Crap. Talk about two-faced? It's well known that, in the beginning, as he began talks with Paramount about taking the role of Archer, he demanded a measure of creative input not only on his character, but the show itself. Topping that off, he also, reportedly, got a clause in his contract that, if he doesn't like the way things are going after 3 years, he's got the option to walk or take a more active role in the show's production. That's why the initial negotiations took so long, and he threatened to walk several times, because the Studio refused to give in to his demands for creative input and certain options in his contract. Well, guess what? He pulled it off. Now...

He's playing Studio Ball. His old pal, Gary McCluggage, former Prez of Paramount's Tv Prod., an old crony of his from his "Quantum Leap" days, and, one of the key figures in securing the sweetest ever deal for a Star Trek lead, is on the outs, and I figure Scotty's learning to be a team player.

Man, I really had high hopes for that guy, and now--this is the biggest load of **** to come down the pike since the Supreme Court declared George W. President. What a waste...

I don't normally say things like this, and I apologize to anyone else reading this, but you, Tamarlayn the Great, are a total idiot!

What's 'well known'? That lots of rumors surfaced about why Scott took so long to sign away 7 years of his life? You're basing your opinions on rumor and conjecture read on a Trek bulletin board? Give me a break! Please, tell me one reliable source of this information, just one! None exist, btw, except in your imagination.

It's one thing to read this stuff. It's another to actually believe it. I'm sorry that you can't separate fact from fiction. Try to get out and read the papers more. BTW...if you did, you'd learn that no one in show biz is more of a team player than is Scott. Would you like me to quote some real stories for you?

Old January 13 2002, 08:45 PM   #13
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Well I'm afraid I don't have any 'inside sources' or any first hand contact withthe people in question.

I do however remember Tamerlame from his long-winded rants last year, when he professed to have the 'inside scoop' on what was going on. As I recall, he was one of the people who was hailing Scott Bakula as having wrested control, and claiming he would oust Berman and save Star Trek.

This just amuses the Hell out of me
Old January 14 2002, 06:13 AM   #14
John Sullivan
Commodore

Originally posted quite correctly by Captain Miri

You, sir, have no clue. Having influence is a natural way of life for the star of ANY series, but 'having influence' is a far, far different thing from having creative control. Care to name ONE of those 18 people who claim otherwise? I didn't think so.

Next time, you, too, need to do some homework before calling someone, ANYONE, a liar. And, if you knew anything about Scott at all, you'd know that you made a particularly bad choice of a person to point the finger at.

Actually, if you thought I was calling Scott Bakula a liar, you missed the whole point. I don't discount (ever) the concept that a few words may have been taken out of context. Hate to repeat myself, but if you'd like to revisit my views on the entertainment/news business in general, please see
http://www.liberty72.com/HT2671e.html

I was pretty much pissed at myself after posting it, and I knew I'd be writing myself a dissenting opinion if no one else would.

Once I lost my temper (and this story REALLY pissed me off) I had lost the battle. I can't believe I ever took Aikido when living in Japan - it's all about control, and I totally lost it when I saw that story. (By the way, I was never any good - most Japanese 5th grade school girls could kick my ass).

Actually, I did confuse the facts and the keyboard a little. It was 5 people at Paramount's Stage 18, not 50 or 8.

I'm calm now ... breath slow and deep, John.

The stab at Linda Park was unfair - but maybe not. I realize that the world is filled with fruitcakes who do stuff like molest kids and pull Anthrax pranks, and these people's day in court equals a few hours of counseling and release back to a community that politicians think will make them normal by exposure.

What does that have to do with the price of bread? Well, Paramount actors in general are as scared as anyone else in the world of the "famous." I hear that in many newsrooms, movie studios, and other corporation, there is actually someone paid a lot of money put on a space suit to open official correspondence from lawyers, bankers, and people who generate service bills. But all "fan" mail - some thoughtfully written with great sincerity and importance - gets incinerated on impact.

I know for an absolute fact that at Paramount Pictures - to include Linda Park but to also include all of the actors at "Enterprise," the fan mail service is shut down, despite everything you'll read on the web pages that advertises "snail mail."

I immediately think that it's a little crazy ... I mean, do these actors suddenly live in a new space-time continiuum? I know people should be careful and use common sense when handling mail - but to just shut down all the fan mail because some creep may slip something into it?

It is a very sad statement of the state of the world. I am extremely disappointed that a lot of my friends are now in Afghanistan trying to avoid letting terrorists win an effort to make us tremble in our wet pants. But once I heard that Paramount had shut down the Snail Mail service - confirmed only shortly before I posted that poorly written post, anger turned to the people at Paramount who had given the terrorists such a huge victory. They're scared. They don't need to be, and it angers me to no end that they are scared. Anyone who lets terrorists, Anthrax punks, creeps, child molesters, and Unibombers terrorize us to the point we tremble in fear and don't want anything to do with the normal world is someone I lose a lot of respect for.

Anyone can get my address (snail mail) from my own webpage, and I open most of it myself. And I am far more worried that some one will send me politically correct Hollywood air than Anthrax.

Let me get back on subject here.

Scott Bakula is a really great guy. I am told that one of his reasons for being on the show is that it gives him the chance to be with his family a lot more than he otherwise could have if he had passed up "Enterprise" for other projects. That's enough for me to elevate the guy's status to "hero" in Hollywood's terms.

I didn't mean to slam Scott here, and Miri's point is good and well taken. But in August I heard at Paramount with my own ears that Paramount would give Scott Bakula a lot more creative control over the series than Bill Shatner or Patrick Stewart ever had. I thought this would be a great idea, and this show is so much different than anything B&B ever came up with that it can only be true.

The only thing that pisses me off is that they're all trying to deny it now. All I can glean from such a report is that from a script standpoint, the show has lost its direction, and gone off course - and Bakula is trying to distance himself from what we're about to see. I hope I'm wrong.

I really do.

But anyways, water under the Bridge (call emergency control to check out Deck 2!)

Edited to add ... and just to clarify it all, if I knew 50 people at Stage 18, half of them would be working for me - and the other half would only want to, waiting until I could afford them!

[This message has been edited by John Sullivan (edited January 14, 2002).]
Old January 14 2002, 03:42 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by USS Intrepid:
Well I'm afraid I don't have any 'inside sources' or any first hand contact withthe people in question.

I do however remember Tamerlame from his long-winded rants last year, when he professed to have the 'inside scoop' on what was going on. As I recall, he was one of the people who was hailing Scott Bakula as having wrested control, and claiming he would oust Berman and save Star Trek.

This just amuses the Hell out of me
Yeah, all of which was fabricaton. Sweet.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dennis Bailey (edited January 14, 2002).]