RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 418
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 4 2012, 08:02 AM   #46
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Why was Sisko assigned to DS9?

Let's look at why Sisko was born first. A Prophet took over his mother Sarah's body and stayed in/with her long enough for her to meet and marry Joseph Sisko and for them to have a son. Then she bolted.

If you buy that story as legit, then it's not too farfetched to assume that a Prophet came back, took over some admiral at Starfleet Headquarters human resources office and put Sisko on the short-list for commanding Deep Space Nine.

Alternatively: Aren't we told in "Homefront" or "Paradise Lost" that Leyton was the one to recommend him for the DS9 posting? is it possible Leyton was already power-hungry and planning his big bad coup beforehand and wanted Sisko at DS9 "out of the way" (in case Sisko sided against him) or in command of DS9 at the nerve center of Bajoran/Cardassian political turmoil at a time when tensions were escalating with the Cardassians?
Old October 4 2012, 04:53 PM   #47
Pavonis
Commodore

Leyton recommended Sisko as the CO of DS9 long before the Dominion was a threat, before the wormhole was even discovered. It's unlikely Leyton was considering a coup as early as 2369.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 05:51 PM   #48
lurok
Commodore

I always assumed one of reasons was Sisko's engineering background. Same reason O'Brien seems such an important character, especially in early seasons.
Old October 4 2012, 06:31 PM   #49
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Leyton recommended Sisko as the CO of DS9 long before the Dominion was a threat, before the wormhole was even discovered. It's unlikely Leyton was considering a coup as early as 2369.
I didn't say anything about the Dominion. I said the Cardassians. Remember, during season 6 of TNG, things weren't exactly rosy with them. Hence, my earlier post.
Old October 4 2012, 07:40 PM   #50
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

It was never really a super important assignment until the discovery of the wormhole, and by that point it was hard to get rid of him.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 07:46 PM   #51
Pavonis
Commodore

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I didn't say anything about the Dominion. I said the Cardassians. Remember, during season 6 of TNG, things weren't exactly rosy with them. Hence, my earlier post.
The Cardassians were not nearly as threatening as the Dominion. The Federation had already fought a war with them without anyone attempting a coup (presumably). The situation with the Cardassians was tense, but not that tense. They only wanted Bajor and Minos Korva; they weren't seeking to conquer the entire Federation.

Leyton was motivated to overthrow a President he saw as weak, who wasn't treating the Dominion threat the way he thought it should be handled. I doubt Leyton was always looking for an excuse to overthrow the UFP government, though. The Dominion was a credible threat to the Federation's existence, something the Cardassians would never be. That kind of threat would drive a man to desperate measures.

At least the Dominion was an ongoing threat to justify a military junta. At their best, the Cardassians might be able to match the Federation, but not destroy them. Threats like the Borg would arise and be defeated too quickly (or, in the worst case, not defeated at all) to justify a military dictatorship of the Federation. So I think the Dominion was the first threat that the Federation encountered that could be the continual threat that would justify Leyton's actions.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 04:57 AM   #52
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
The Bajorans were leery enough of what little Starfleet presence was there. The feddies only sent a Commander because a higher-ranked officer might have signaled a new occupation to some of the Bajorans, specifically the jumpy Resistance guys. An Admiral or Captain signifies a permanent presence (and an Admiral a significant one), but a Commander shows enough rank to get things done, while still signifying a temporary/joint command.
Also remember a commander was assigned as the person for the entire DMZ...Of course he goes rogue and joins the marque...