Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 4 2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Starfleet's biggest jerks?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
On a somewhat unrelated note, I noticed one of the things that article used against Jellico was that he made Deanna Troi wear the "not sexy" standard uniform. But I thought the general consensus was that she looked better in a regular uniform, and that's why they continued to have her wear one for the rest of the series?
Troi really did look better in uniform. I understand that in her position it made sense not to always wear one when dealing with junior officers and civilians in therapy sessions, but she just looked more professional and appropriate dressed like the rest.
Old October 4 2012, 02:28 PM   #17
horatio83
Commodore

This is Jellico's only decision I agree with. If Troi were merely a psychotherapist she could wear whatever she wanted but she spends time on the bridge and on away missions.
Old October 4 2012, 05:34 PM   #18
lurok
Commodore

"Me? A jerk? Really?"

I'd liked to have seen more of the Nechayev from The Search. She was a badass.
Old October 4 2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Captain Styles (from "The Search for Spock") yet. In my opinion, he is such a jerk that he holds positions #1, #2 and #3. Maybe not a jerk, but annoyingly arrogant....

IMO Shelby, Nechayev, and Jellico were not jerks. As a matter of fact, I begrudgingly respected them. They were more "hardened" than the Enterprise crew we know and love and we simply bristled a bit when these "outsiders" "roughed up/shook up" our heroes.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Cthulurok wrote: View Post
"Me? A jerk? Really?"

I'd liked to have seen more of the Nechayev from The Search. She was a badass.
Oh was she ever.

Last edited by Ru ru, chu; October 4 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Ru ru, chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:25 PM   #21
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I agree Styles was the biggest jerk, almost jerk for jerks sake. Also, Captain Keough(?) of the Odyssey in DS9, he was bad too. Jellico however, was not a jerk, he was a leader that wanted things done his way and I think he deserved respect. I've know a few 'Jellicos' in the corporate world and have a tremenous amount of respect for them, and they have always held develop their people. I found it interesting that Jellico usually referred to his subordinates by their first names and was such an authoritarian, while Picard used ranks and Mister.
Old October 4 2012, 09:48 PM   #22
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

George Primmin from DS9 - definitely a jerk (at least to Odo)

Shelby was not normally a jerk, except whenever she was around Riker. At that point she became a smug jackass whose ego trumped everything. She enjoyed making Riker twitch.
Old October 4 2012, 10:20 PM   #23
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Captain Styles.''----Bob Robot.

I'm more surprised that nobody's mentioned Captain KIRK. He unjustifiably yells at Uhura in OPERATION ANNIHILATE, JOURNEY TO BABEL and THE NAKED TIME. There are 449 other reasons, and I could go on, but...

...just one more reason. He's too close-minded and elitist to address Scott in his THOLIAN WEB after-death testament. Only the top-billed best friends. Did it ever occur to him Spock could die too? Not that Scott OR Spock need any advice, but geez! What a snob.
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:10 AM   #24
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Nechayev: I liked her, actually. Yes, she made some decisions one might not agree with and she was oft distanced from the events she statuted upon, but those are both artifacts of being a flag officer.
No, I say if you want to nominate an admiral from the TNG/DS9/VOY era (on top of vice admiral Leyton), it'd have to be admiral Ross.
His actions in Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges pretty thoroughly violate federation values.

Jellico: Well, there were some rough edges to him.
But, and IIRC the episode made note of it at the end, much of the tensions were due to the crew.
Some of them had legitimate grievances, but Riker in particular didn't seem to give Jellico any chance.
And well, there's the teething problems; had he remained in command of the Enterprise longer, much of the problems (and probably his attitude) would've smoothed out with time.
Still, as has been mentionned, his unflinching nature could've been problematic in some events: Picard's trust of his senior staff did save the vessel and all aboard on several occasions, Hero Worship is one of those: Data tells him to drop the shields, no explanation given, and he does.

Harkins: You've got to keep in mind he's Barclay's boss, and apparently has been for quite some time. In fact, he seems to be a friend of his.
And Barclay does suffer from some sort of cognitive disorder (hard to pinpoint which as it depends on writer), so Harkins is merely acting out of concern for his friend.
Patronising, maybe, but still concerned.
Aside: I've always found it a depressing failing of the Federation that in all that time, although medical science has made enormous progress in the treatment of physical illnesses, it doesn't seem to have made any in the treatment of mental illnesses.

Maddox: well, yeah, that's the whole point of his presence in the show.
He is indeed smug as smug can be, but deep down, even he isn't a bad guy; and he did demonstrate an ability rarely found in jerks: that of changing his mind.

The article notably forgets:
- Admiral Satie. Like Maddox, she's written just to provide antagonism, so it's entirely intentional, obviously.
- Commander/Captain Sisko. "In the Pale Moonlight"... need I say more?
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 11:46 AM   #25
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I vote Finnegan, Kirk's tormentor at the academy.

He looks like my middle school bully.

Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 01:32 PM   #26
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Steve Martin's acting debut.
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Genesis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Captain Phillipa Louvois, the JAG officer from Measure of a Man, who said she would summarily rule against Data if Riker didn't act as prosecutor in her sham trial. So if Riker screws up or wimps out Data suffers? In what universe is that fair?

On the other hand, I loved Shelby and wished she'd been in more episodes. She had great chemistry with Riker and gave him a taste of his own attitude. They were entertaining together.

I agree that Jellico wasn't really a terrible captain, but he was doomed to be hated by most fans simply because Picard is loved, so anyone who tried to replace him was going to be hated, whether they were really a jerk or not. And Riker and Jellico were a bad pairing for leads, at least on any kind of long-term basis.

The biggest jerk in TNG was Dr. Polaski, though. Her disrespect for Data was the most painfully obvious, but she was patronizing and disrespectful to everyone, and downright rude to her own nurses and assistants in several episodes. And, unlike Maddox, she never seemed to learn that she was being a closed-minded, prejudiced jerk. Ugh. She actually rendered several episodes unwatchable for me, because I'm so busy hating her I can't focus on the plot.

I'm not sure Maddox should've been counted as a jerk, because he's an antagonist, the character intended by the writers to be the driving force of conflict in the episode. If we're going to count Maddox as a jerk, then we need to count every villain from every episode, and it's going to become a very long list indeed. I usually reserve jerk status for the characters the writers cast as protagonists who I none-the-less wanted to see murdered horribly by the end of the show.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:29 PM   #28
horatio83
Commodore

What's jerkish about telling a fellow officer that he should do his job well and not be influenced by a friendship?
Old October 6 2012, 07:16 PM   #29
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

That kind of makes me think of the missed opportunities of Voyager, if Chakotay and Janeway had been a bit more adversarial
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 09:29 PM   #30
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

foxhot wrote: View Post
Steve Martin's acting debut.
You fooled me there.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote