Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 4 2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Almost on TOS......

22 Stars wrote: View Post
There is also the unproduced Spinrad script, that was said to be a potential Milton Berle vehicle.... the less said about that the better
I've read the Spinrad script (it's bland), and Berle—who was a fine actor in both comedy and drama—would have been fine in it. I understand Coon changed it, so I can't speak to how good that would have been.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:28 AM   #17
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Based on the folks who appeared, I'd guess that UNCLE had a bigger budget for guest cast.
I imagine also that UNCLE was bigger-budgeted. But was there also something of a deliberate decision in Trek not to go for big-name guest stars, the way that, for example, Batman did, so as not to have the stories overshadowed?

(I'm not saying that this is the case, I don't honestly know and am wondering if anyone else knows)
Old October 4 2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
But was there also something of a deliberate decision in Trek not to go for big-name guest stars, the way that, for example, Batman did, so as not to have the stories overshadowed?
I've never heard anything to that effect. And they definitely weren't above the occasional celebrity stunt casting (Melvin Belli certainly wasn't cast for his acting talent). Not to mention that some of Batman's celebrity villains did in fact appear in Star Trek, including Frank Gorshin, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Joan Collins (as well as lower-tier Bat-villains Malachi Throne and Roger C. Carmel).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:41 PM   #19
22 Stars
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
There is also the unproduced Spinrad script, that was said to be a potential Milton Berle vehicle.... the less said about that the better
I've read the Spinrad script (it's bland), and Berle—who was a fine actor in both comedy and drama—would have been fine in it. I understand Coon changed it, so I can't speak to how good that would have been.
I've read it too and characterizing it as bland is generous.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 04:21 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But was there also something of a deliberate decision in Trek not to go for big-name guest stars, the way that, for example, Batman did, so as not to have the stories overshadowed?
I've never heard anything to that effect. And they definitely weren't above the occasional celebrity stunt casting (Melvin Belli certainly wasn't cast for his acting talent). Not to mention that some of Batman's celebrity villains did in fact appear in Star Trek, including Frank Gorshin, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Joan Collins (as well as lower-tier Bat-villains Malachi Throne and Roger C. Carmel).
Gorshin did occur to me (I'd forgotten about the other Bat-villain appearances). I don't know if Collins was a stunt-cast - was she as well known in the 1960s as she later was?

But I'd say you're right, it wasn't a deliberate policy. It's probably just a happy accident that, all those years later, we're not distracted by big-name stars, simply because the show couldn't afford them.
Old October 4 2012, 05:40 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I don't know if Collins was a stunt-cast - was she as well known in the 1960s as she later was?
Pretty well-known, according to Wikipedia. She was a popular pinup model in the UK. 20th Century Fox signed her in 1955 with an eye to making her a rival to Elizabeth Taylor, and she had the starring role that year in Howard Hawks's cast-of-thousands historical epic Land of the Pharaohs. She won several "most promising new star" awards in the late '50s, and was the first or second female lead in nearly a dozen films between 1955 and the time she did "City on the Edge." So yeah, I'd say she was a fairly major name at the time.

Robert Walker, Jr. (Charlie Evans) was also a pretty big name in the day, though largely due to his famous actor parents and his studio-mogul stepfather. He'd made a strong impression in his first two feature roles in 1963, but his film career slowed down after his lead role in Ensign Pulver, which is probably why he was doing TV.

It's worth keeping in mind that TV was a less respected medium than it is today, so there was less crossover of movie actors to TV roles. So if you're talking "big name" guest stars in '60s TV, you're probably talking about either successful TV stars (e.g. Jane Wyatt or Elinor Donahue) or film actors who were past the peak of their big-screen careers. Or people like Ricardo Montalban and John Fiedler who were well-known stalwarts but not (yet) big stars.

Old October 4 2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Wow, I'd always assumed that Collins only became a bigger name with the likes of The Stud and The Bitch in the 1970s and obviously Dynasty in the 1980s.

I suppose Jill Ireland also counts as a fairly big name by the standards of the day.
Old October 5 2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Forbin
Admiral

Elder Knight wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
My Son the Vampire wrote: View Post
"The Mother Muffin Affair" was an episode of The Girl from UNCLE, actually.
Hm. Could swear the character was also on Man from UNCLE, but I can't find any reference to it.
Robert Vaughn made a crossover appearance on that Girl From UNCLE episode, which is probably why you remembered it as the other UNCLE show.
That would explain it, all right!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:59 PM   #24
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Perf...riginal_Series

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm

Last edited by Sir Rhosis; October 6 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: wrong link
Sir Rhosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:29 AM   #25
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
I've read it too and characterizing it as bland is generous.
Not up to Doomsday Machine? What was it about?
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:31 AM   #26
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The story: a man named Theodore Bayne is discovered to have set himself up as a god on a planet, sharing technology (the steam engine, for instance) with the technologically primitive natives. The twist is that the Enterprise crew can't easily remove him without further exacerbating the cultural damage he's started. The plot is a slightly more clever take on the John Gill type character, with a relatively smart conclusion, but the story isn't really that interesting as written.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:03 AM   #27
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Hugh Laurie had a test run as Captain before Shatner, but obviously it didn't work out. Rumor has it his biting sarcastic line delivery was just too over the top.

They also gave Russell Johnson (The Professor from "Gilligan's Island") a shot in a preliminary run through of "The Corbomite Maneuver", but they felt he looked too much like Mr. Bailey.

Burt Lancaster gave it a shot, but he couldn't stand the material of the uniforms so he bailed...

I have to say, this is hilarious! Awesome work with photoshop - it looks freakishly plausible! Thanks!
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:09 AM   #28
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

My Son the Vampire wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And then, of course, there's that alternate universe where JFK played Kirk.

(As in David Gerrold's story, "The Kennedy Enterprise.")
So who was President during that time? Couldn't have been Shatner because he's a Canadian citizen.
Alternate universe, remember? Their United States included Canada.
Old October 16 2012, 07:06 PM   #29
AtoZ
Commander

Honestly, they should have found a way to get Lee Marvin on TOS.

A fourth season opener where the Enterprise comes across an old lifeboat, on board in a state of suspended animation, one of the most celebrated Generals of WW3....a heroic is somewhat misunderstood leader that went missing during a climactic battle. From there they could add the unwritten slant....the man had looked into the abyss far too long....and had himself become an all consuming monster bent on victory at any cost....even centuries after the fact.

Something like that.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:18 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^What would you call it? "Space Sprout?"