RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 425
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 9 2012, 11:49 PM   #61
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Is nuWho too complicated for newbies?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The overnight figure for "Asylum... " was 6.4m I think, so it's a drop of less 1million. The final figures might be a lot closer.
The ratings numbers are really besides the point as to whether or not newbies think the show is too complicated. River's storyline was complicated for a number of regular long term viewers, she was Moffat's pet character and only he wrote for her so her story took years to tell. And personally I could without the Rory/Amy soap opera. but then I never liked how Amy treated Rory and Rory IMO is the better of the two characters.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:14 AM   #62
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

My 9 year old son started to get into Doctor Who last year. He would sit down while I was watching, quietly at first. Then he'd start to ask questions.

So we TiVo'd all of last season to watch again before the new season started (we've only watched Asylum of the Daleks). There's definitely a lot of pausing and trying to explain. It's challenging, because I don't always understand it.

But yet, he is a total fan now. He loves it, even if he doesn't always "get it". And I think that's very cool. Maybe it's okay to just go along for the ride sometimes?

To give you an idea of how much he has come to love the show, I was on a business trip recently. When I came home, he told me he had made something for me. Here it is:

The scan didn't come out great, but I think you get the idea. It's all there. You can see The Silence on the left, and the robot doctor on the right is saying "This is a kindness".

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:21 AM   #63
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
My 9 year old son started to get into Doctor Who last year. He would sit down while I was watching, quietly at first. Then he'd start to ask questions.

So we TiVo'd all of last season to watch again before the new season started (we've only watched Asylum of the Daleks). There's definitely a lot of pausing and trying to explain. It's challenging, because I don't always understand it.

But yet, he is a total fan now. He loves it, even if he doesn't always "get it". And I think that's very cool. Maybe it's okay to just go along for the ride sometimes?

To give you an idea of how much he has come to love the show, I was on a business trip recently. When I came home, he told me he had made something for me. Here it is:

The scan didn't come out great, but I think you get the idea. It's all there. You can see The Silence on the left, and the robot doctor on the right is saying "This is a kindness".

*SNIFF* You're raisin' the Boy Right, and how cool to get such an enthusiastic response, and one he wanted to impress you and make you feel special with

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:30 AM   #64

Well, thanks. It's great to share this kind of stuff with your kids. I did the same thing with my daughter and TNG.

He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a Sonic Screwdriver for his birthday.

The only things he doesn't really like (i.e. what really scare him), what's not in the picture anywhere....

The Angels. He HATES them!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old October 4 2012, 04:03 AM   #65
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Even in Liam's stories the Doctor uses the sonic too much! And Daleks again! shheeesh!

Just kidding, those things are the best, aren't they? I got stuff from my nephew that just warms your heart. Though I've been his video game enabler starting with a used Gamecube, I haven't been able to get him into sci-fi proper yet. Got the niece reading comics though...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 04:09 AM   #66

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Even in Liam's stories the Doctor uses the sonic too much! And Daleks again! shheeesh!

Nice.

Do you recognize the character to the right of the Doctor?