TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 1 2012, 03:13 PM   #376
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Bain wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Otherwise for the week, we've got Fail Safe (1964) at noon Monday...
They aired that one a few weeks ago. After seeing that I decided to get the 2000 remake with George Clooney and an all-star cast. That too was shot in black & white and had pretty much the same sets and dialogue.
And, most significantly, was performed live, the first live play for television in decades (though a few half-hour or hour shows dabbled in the occasional live episode, including an ER episode that was also done at Clooney's behest). It was Clooney's tribute to the golden age of live TV and an experiment to see if it could still work. Unfortunately it didn't catch on.

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
I'm trying to remember something I read about the original Mummy movie-- maybe that it originally wasn't even a Mummy, but more of an immortal being, like Richard Anderson in Night Strangler. I'll have to research when I get a minute....
I did read on Wikipedia that the original treatment for the film was called Cagliostro and was about "a 3000-year-old magician who survives by injecting nitrates." But when it was assigned to screenwriter John Balderston, who had covered the opening of King Tut's tomb as a journalist and contributed to the Dracula and Frankenstein scripts, he reworked it into the form we know.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:30 PM   #377
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Oooh, Mystery of The Wax Museum, I had a colorized version of that I enjoyed greatly, a few years back that someone borrowed and never returned. Msut try to remember to record that.

Anyone know if they're playing a colorized/remastered version?

ETA: Hmmm...After looking into it further, seems it was actually filmed in Early two-color Technicolor. I had no idea, nice to know

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; October 1 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:54 PM   #378
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Yeah, there's a handful of color films from the 30s. The color palette is very interesting.

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
I'm trying to remember something I read about the original Mummy movie-- maybe that it originally wasn't even a Mummy, but more of an immortal being, like Richard Anderson in Night Strangler. I'll have to research when I get a minute....
I did read on Wikipedia that the original treatment for the film was called Cagliostro and was about "a 3000-year-old magician who survives by injecting nitrates." But when it was assigned to screenwriter John Balderston, who had covered the opening of King Tut's tomb as a journalist and contributed to the Dracula and Frankenstein scripts, he reworked it into the form we know.
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.
Old October 1 2012, 11:11 PM   #379
Harvey
Admiral

^^
Wikipedia lists more color films from the 1930s than I would have thought, although slightly more than a third of them are lost. "Color" films were numerous before then, but mostly through one-color tinting and (in fewer cases) hand-tinting the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._feature_films

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 12:24 AM   #380
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I was watching The Sea Hawk with Errol Flynn the other day and was surprised when the tint of the movie changed partway through.

When the movie is set in and around England and the England Channel, the b/w images are in shades of gray. But when the plot shifts to scorching jungles of South American and a quest for Aztec gold, the scenes take on a bright yellow tint--and then reverts to gray tones when the plot returns to England.

An interesting effect.
Old October 2 2012, 12:41 AM   #381
Christopher
Writer

I think I noticed last week that Them! had its title in green even though the rest of the film was B&W. At least I think it was that movie.

Old October 2 2012, 01:05 AM   #382
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^I think so, I only saw few moments of that before work... I thought it was odd.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:15 AM   #383
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think I noticed last week that Them! had its title in green even though the rest of the film was B&W. At least I think it was that movie.
The Vincent Price movie The Tingler is mostly in b/w, except for a LSD-induced dream sequence in the middle--with bright red blood.

And, bizarrely, War of the Colossal Beast (the sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man) is b/w until the final minutes of the movie--when it inexplicably turns into color.

As I recall, there's also a brief color sequence near the end of Portrait of Jennie--during the climatic storm scene.
Old October 2 2012, 04:08 PM   #384
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The Vincent Price movie The Tingler is mostly in b/w, except for a LSD-induced dream sequence in the middle--with bright red blood.

And, bizarrely, War of the Colossal Beast (the sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man) is b/w until the final minutes of the movie--when it inexplicably turns into color.

As I recall, there's also a brief color sequence near the end of Portrait of Jennie--during the climatic storm scene.
I believe I remember the color in Portrait of Jennie

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:37 PM   #385
Harvey
Admiral

Early color was not that different from early 3D* in that respect. Witness the inexplicable use of 3D in one reel of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and a couple of scenes in Francis Ford Coppola's Twixt.

*Early, of course, in the latest cycle of 3D movies. Of course, it also took a few technical innovations before color was widely adopted.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:06 PM   #386
Redfern
Commodore

Not quite inexplicable as it was done quite literally for the "shock value". After the sister of the titular character convinces him to gently lower a bus of school kids he was going to crush, the Colossal Beast has one last flash of humanity that leads him to conclude it would be better for everyone if he were to 'end it all". Thus he seizes the power lines draping from a tower. The second he does this and the sparks fly, the film switches to color, thus enhancing the sequence.

(IFC recently aired it, so that's why I remember it.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:58 PM   #387
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Could I request that this thread be pinned? It seems to have become a pretty regular feature, and it's a bit hard to track down when it falls off the main page (since the natural search term would be "TCM" but the board's search engine can't handle anything shorter than four characters).
I PMed Neroon about it, we'll see if he concurs...

ETA: No, he decided not to pin it... we'll survive. Try seaching on "genre", that seems to work well enough.

Last edited by Klaus; October 4 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:30 PM   #388
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Perhaps Neroon would edit the initial post to read "Turner Classic" instead of "TCM."

Tonight, or early tomorrow, we have a movie called Not Against The Flesh-- the original title of which appears to be Vampyr. It's from 1932 and involves shenanigans at a sinister castle, so I'm gonna be all over that one. It's on at 2:30am.
Old October 7 2012, 11:00 PM   #389
Christopher
Writer

And remember, the two versions of Jekyll & Hyde are on tomorrow at 6 AM and Tuesday at 9:30 AM.

(And after I went to all that trouble to make the list, I forgot all about the Sinbad movie on Friday.)

Old October 7 2012, 11:04 PM   #390
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And remember, the two versions of Jekyll & Hyde are on tomorrow at 6 AM and Tuesday at 9:30 AM.

(And after I went to all that trouble to make the list, I forgot all about the Sinbad movie on Friday.)

And the good Jekyll & Hyde is the Fredric March version!