RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 760
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 1 2012, 07:54 PM   #316
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Picture If You Will (Farscape) - This was a bland, average episode. Maldis didn't really need to be seen again, and i wasn't a huge fan of his to begin with, but maybe they could have done an interesting episode with him. This episode wasn't it. Still, the only thing i really hated about this episode is that they teased something that I really want to happen, Chiana getting killed. I knew as soon as it happened that it wasn't a "real" death, but I was still disappointed to see her alive. Besides that, it was just boring and forgettable.
I like Picture If You Will, for the Rygel moments

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 07:56 PM   #317
RoJoHen
Awesome

The worst part of Picture if You Will is Maldis' GIANT HAND! So ridiculous.
Old October 1 2012, 09:43 PM   #318
JD
Admiral

Yeah, that one was definitely not one of their better hopes.
And just so you don't get your hopes up again,
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:28 PM   #319
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Chrysalis (Babylon 5) - I'm finally at the season 1 finale. It was pretty good, although it did have some goofy, head scratching moments. A cocoon, really? If Deleen doesn't come out of it as a butterfly, I'll be disappointed I'm not a fan of shadowy orginazations in general, so I'm not too excited to see the guy and his invisible aliens. Also, when it comes to Kosh's "secret", it hasn't been a secret since the first episode. I saw his room, saw a light behind his curtain, and thought

I don't know too much about him, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, especially since I did kind of get spoilered in another thread, not that it was much of a spoiler. I really hope Londo stays around. From what I've heard, the B5 cast is basically a revolving door, with few characters/actors staying more than a season or two. I know Sinclair is gone next season, except for special appearances. I know Ivanova eventually leaves and doesn't show back up (except for maybe the last episode). I hope Londo stays around for awhile. Overall, this episode was pretty good, although the cocoon and invisible aliens were really, really goofy. The cocoon so much so that I think the show may have just jumped the shark. Still, i'm enjoying this, and will probably get season 2 when I can afford it.

Comparing B5 to Farscape, they have their strengths and weaknesses. Farscape has better developed main characters (the B5 exception being Londo, who is awesome), but farscape also has Chiana, one of the mkost annoying sci fi characters. B5 has a few bland characters (like the doctor), but no bad/annoying characters. Farscape had more bad episodes, but B5 had more bland episodes. I like them both, but I can't really put one over the other. I would almost give the advantage to Farscape, I really like a lot of the characters/main story, but Chiana, mixed with a weak beginning to its second season (which I'm watching) pretty much makes it even with B5 so far.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:30 PM   #320
RoJoHen
Awesome

His name is Kosh. With a K.
Old October 2 2012, 06:48 PM   #321
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
His name is Kosh. With a K.
I know, I just mistyped. I did get the K the first time I mentioned him, I just messed it up after that.
Old October 2 2012, 06:56 PM   #322
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Chrysalis (Babylon 5) - I'm finally at the season 1 finale. It was pretty good, although it did have some goofy, head scratching moments. A cocoon, really? If Deleen doesn't come out of it as a butterfly, I'll be disappointed I'm not a fan of shadowy orginazations in general, so I'm not too excited to see the guy and his invisible aliens. Also, when it comes to Kosh's "secret", it hasn't been a secret since the first episode. I saw his room, saw a light behind his curtain, and thought

I don't know too much about him, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, especially since I did kind of get spoilered in another thread, not that it was much of a spoiler. I really hope Londo stays around. From what I've heard, the B5 cast is basically a revolving door, with few characters/actors staying more than a season or two. I know Sinclair is gone next season, except for special appearances. I know Ivanova eventually leaves and doesn't show back up (except for maybe the last episode). I hope Londo stays around for awhile. Overall, this episode was pretty good, although the cocoon and invisible aliens were really, really goofy. The cocoon so much so that I think the show may have just jumped the shark. Still, i'm enjoying this, and will probably get season 2 when I can afford it.

Comparing B5 to Farscape, they have their strengths and weaknesses. Farscape has better developed main characters (the B5 exception being Londo, who is awesome), but farscape also has Chiana, one of the mkost annoying sci fi characters. B5 has a few bland characters (like the doctor), but no bad/annoying characters. Farscape had more bad episodes, but B5 had more bland episodes. I like them both, but I can't really put one over the other. I would almost give the advantage to Farscape, I really like a lot of the characters/main story, but Chiana, mixed with a weak beginning to its second season (which I'm watching) pretty much makes it even with B5 so far.
You should find both shows consistently good most of the time, very soon. S1 of Babylon 5 is much better on a rewatch, where you can realy appreciates everything that was set up.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 08:56 PM   #323
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Also, when it comes to Kosh's "secret", it hasn't been a secret since the first episode. I saw his room, saw a light behind his curtain, and thought

I don't know too much about him, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, especially since I did kind of get spoilered in another thread, not that it was much of a spoiler.
Yeah... that's not really the secret actually...
Old October 3 2012, 01:21 AM   #324
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The way We Weren't (Farscape) - Now THIS is the farscape I like. Not focusing on Jar jariana. This was a great episode. I enjoyed it a lot from beginning to end. There were so many cool/interesting moments. I did think they were a bit unfair to Aeryn. There were about six soldiers shooting the first pilot, even if she hadn't shot, the pilot would have died. I didn't care about aeryn's old love interest, but besides that it was a great episode.

Home on the Remains (Farscape) - This episode was a mixed bag. Some parts were good, like John and Rygel trying to escape the monster, and Aeryn/Zhaan on the ship. But, the episode is about 60% about Chiana, and everything with her is just bad, so overall its a mediocre episode that I enjoyed parts of.
Old October 3 2012, 02:36 AM   #325
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The way We Weren't (Farscape) - Now THIS is the farscape I like. Not focusing on Jar jariana. This was a great episode. I enjoyed it a lot from beginning to end. There were so many cool/interesting moments. I did think they were a bit unfair to Aeryn. There were about six soldiers shooting the first pilot, even if she hadn't shot, the pilot would have died. I didn't care about aeryn's old love interest, but besides that it was a great episode.
I'm glad you liked this episode because it's my favorite episode of the entire show. You want character development, you got a whole boatload of it here, and when you think back to DNA Mad Scientist and how She has Pilots DNA inside her, it just makes that entire ending scene all the more powerful. This was just beautiful film-making, at it's highest.
Old October 3 2012, 06:29 PM   #326
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Dream a Little Dream (Farscape) - I really didn;t like this episode, it was boring, and I really didn't care about what it was about.

Out of Their Minds (Farscape) - This was a good episode. there were a lot of funny moments (like John teaching Rygel how to....excrete waste in a human body , or Chiana and aeryn catching John messing around with Aeryn's body). Overall, an entertaining episode.
Old October 3 2012, 08:12 PM   #327
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Overall, this episode was pretty good, although the cocoon and invisible aliens were really, really goofy. The cocoon so much so that I think the show may have just jumped the shark.

The "invisible aliens" get spookier.

And B5 never "jumps the shark" since it was pretty much executed as planned (taking into account all the "trapdoors" built in for unplanned real world events that is).
Old October 4 2012, 08:53 AM   #328
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Dream a Little Dream (Farscape) - I really didn;t like this episode, it was boring, and I really didn't care about what it was about.
That's why it was moved back. Originally it was to have been the season 2 opener, minus the framing story.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 06:15 PM   #329
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
That's why it was moved back. Originally it was to have been the season 2 opener, minus the framing story.
That would have been a bad way to start the season

My three Chrichtons (Farscape) - This was an average episode. It had some ok moments, and it had some bad moments (I REALLY hate Chiana). I liked the idea, but I had most of the story figured out when the aliens said one needed to die. I knew they'd decide on the caveman, but it wouldn't happen for some reason (Chiana ), and that the evolved John would turn on the normal John, and that the new extra Johns would both go away some how. This wasn't a bad episode, but it wasn't very good, either.
Old October 5 2012, 12:29 AM   #330
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I really don't think I've encountered anyone who hated Chiana as much as you (or at all, at that matter). It's quite interesting, as I can actually see why someone might find the character grating (but I always loved her and felt the first season picked up a bit with her addition, so there's that.)

The Deadshirt - That's oversimplifying, since JMS condensed the plot arcs he planned for both seasons four and five into season four and then got picked up for a fifth season on another channel which resulted in a season that dealt with a ton of unplanned material... and that would be ignoring the way his plans for the show's future shifted radically over the years to the point the initial arc envisioned when shooting "The Gathering" is practically a different show.