Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 3 2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Mott the barber
Commodore

Skin of Evil

I got around to this episode on the Blu-Ray set and it had been a few years. I have to say, I always enjoyed it but I think this one gets better with age. The shear senselessness of Tasha's death makes the impact that much stronger, and I think the actors, particularly Marina, Gates, and Patrick, do an excellent job in this episode.

The span of time from when Tasha goes down to the emergency beam up to the ER scene is really powerful, and I love the use of the handheld camera in 1988 when ER would popularize it years later for those type of scenes. The music was top notch too. The only thing that hurts that scene is the ridiculous looking splotch on Tasha's cheek.

The funeral scene was corny at some points (she seemed to really stretch for some things to say about some of the crew (i.e., Beverly)), but the slow zoom-in as she talks about Picard as you see his eyes begin to water was great, as was, of course, the very last bit when he and Data talk about "missing the point."

"No Data, you got it."

Good stuff.
Old October 3 2012, 05:50 PM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Skin of Evil

Same here. After recently rewatching it on Blu-Ray myself, it really is a good episode, but I was surprised how much I liked Deanna Troi. I consider her the weakest character in the show overall, and think Face of the Enemy (Where Sirtis isn't even playing Troi but a Romulan) is her best episode, but Skin of Evil, from a pure Troi standpoint, is pretty close.

As for everything else you mentioned, yeah that was great stuff too. I don't get why a senseless death is a bad thing, if it is something that is handled well. I find Yar's death better than Dax's death in DS9 mainly because I found Dukat's "It wasn't meant for you" line corny as hell and ruined the entire scene.
Old October 3 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Mrs Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I watched this episode a few weeks back for the first time in years and have to say it's one of my favourites.
I was crying like a baby, especially at the funeral scene.
An all round excellent episode.
Mrs Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Great all around episode.
Old October 3 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral

the funeral scene is good. Armus is an effective villain, his exchanges with Data are great. Also, the confrontation between him and Picard is classic.

The rest of it? Kind of meh.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
The only thing that hurts that scene is the ridiculous looking splotch on Tasha's cheek.
I thought it was some kind of hematoma from the strike that sent her flying. Since that's what they look like, I suppose it's realistic if ridiculous.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
M
Vice Admiral

I'm glad "Skin of Evil" is getting some love. It's one of my favorite episodes from season one. Although not perfect, I actually like the character of Tasha Yar and seeing her go in such a gut-wrenching way always gets me. Armus is a great, great villain who you actually feel somewhat sorry for in the end. As someone mentioned upthread, this is also one of the episode where Troi really works as a character. I love the scenes with her talking to Armus in the shuttlecraft. Plus, this episodes has great music by Ron Jones. I particularly like the long suite at Tasha's funeral, but the "action" cues are also very memorable.

All in all, "Skin of Evil" is just one of those episode I will probably never get tired of watching.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:09 AM   #8
kythe
Commander

I know this episode has been criticized over Yar's "pointless death" rather than giving her a hero's death, but I actually thought it was refreshing to see a death scene that wasn't overdone or played up for drama. Real life is like that, where bad things happen to otherwise good people sometimes. I thought her death was more realistic than some others have been, and the aftermath was handled well.

The episode was well done overall.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

...It would have been fun had this sort of a rescue/resurrection attempt become the TNG standard for any random injured or killed redshirt (now mustardshirt). That is, instead of just going "He's dead, Jean-Luc", Crusher or some token medic would call for a beam-out and/or slap a "medical evacuation transponder" on the victim, and we'd either see the beam-out or, if the VFX were too expensive, hear the sound when the camera moves on. And later on, dialogue would tell whether the poor mustardshirt made it or not.

Only with main characters would there be the weekly extra tension of whether the "ambulance beam" arrives in time or not, of course. Extras would typically get the beam without plot complications, but might perish off screen nevertheless.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 02:44 PM   #10
SimpleLogic

I remember thinking how sad it was that they killed her off.
Thanks a lot BP.
Old October 6 2012, 11:38 PM   #11
The Keeper
Commodore

*record abruptly scratches*

My knowing in advance the character was getting whacked softened the intended emotional punch from the scene. It actually felt pretty lame.
Old October 15 2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Trek Survivor
Captain

I like the episode, but like others, that stupud red mark on Tasha's face just looks silly.
Old October 16 2012, 02:31 AM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

kythe wrote: View Post
"pointless death"
To tell you the truth, I have never bought into Tasha's death being "meaningless," or "pointless."

She died on a rescue mission, attempting to reach two injured Enterprise crewmembers, one of whom was injured badly. While her efforts were unsuccessful and resulted in her death, they were not without meaning.

Tasha died while engage in a purposeful action.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote