RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,775
Posts: 5,434,335
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 436
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

German Volkswagen Campaign Features Trek Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Shatner And Nimoy In Trek 3?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 3 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
G2309
Captain
 
G2309's Avatar
 
View G2309's Twitter Profile
Will the Doctor have more children

I wonder the Doctor will ever have more children. It seems the best hope for the timelord race at least for another generation. But how would they handle him as a parent?
I wonder if he's thought about it much as he knows River's time grows short.
It would be an interesting change for the Doctor just like seeing him as a married man has been.
__________________
For parodies check out

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

He's been married before. A few times. They didn't really change him that much. River is something new for him. After traveling with his in-laws, maybe he does want kids. Who knows?

Still wanting to see Susan again for the 50th.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
He's been married before. A few times. They didn't really change him that much. River is something new for him. After traveling with his in-laws, maybe he does want kids. Who knows?

Still wanting to see Susan again for the 50th.
Yup, and it'd be nice for him to run into Jenny again too, even if she's played by a different actress. It kinda feels unfinished, the way they had her regenerate at the end of The Doctor's Daughter and then never revisted her story.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Valeyard wrote: View Post
He's been married before. A few times. They didn't really change him that much. River is something new for him. After traveling with his in-laws, maybe he does want kids. Who knows?

Still wanting to see Susan again for the 50th.
Yup, and it'd be nice for him to run into Jenny again too, even if she's played by a different actress. It kinda feels unfinished, the way they had her regenerate at the end of The Doctor's Daughter and then never revisted her story.
Moff's got something planned with her. And we know he sprinkles things in years ahead of when he'll use them. She'll be back. Otherwise, why let her live? And why tell us that her fate was changed?
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Valeyard wrote: View Post
He's been married before. A few times. They didn't really change him that much. River is something new for him. After traveling with his in-laws, maybe he does want kids. Who knows?

Still wanting to see Susan again for the 50th.
Yup, and it'd be nice for him to run into Jenny again too, even if she's played by a different actress. It kinda feels unfinished, the way they had her regenerate at the end of The Doctor's Daughter and then never revisted her story.
Moff's got something planned with her. And we know he sprinkles things in years ahead of when he'll use them. She'll be back. Otherwise, why let her live? And why tell us that her fate was changed?
Yea, that was my hope

Love your Halloween Costume btw
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

River did mention that she hadn't seen the Doctor's crib in a while. Maybe she didn't mean when she slept in it.
__________________
Space Dandy! He's a dandy guy...in space.
He combs the galaxy like his pompadour on the hunt for aliens.
Planet after planet he searches, discovering new creatures both friendly and not.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

True.

I have found it odd that, since learning that River is a fellow Time Lord (or at least mostly so) and that he's finally married her, why he hasn't shown any inclination towards the concept of breeding with her. Especially after knowing her fate and the absolutely desperate way he behaved with the Master during the Toclafane story.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
True.

I have found it odd that, since learning that River is a fellow Time Lord (or at least mostly so) and that he's finally married her, why he hasn't shown any inclination towards the concept of breeding with her. Especially after knowing her fate and the absolutely desperate way he behaved with the Master during the Toclafane story.
How do you know that? For all we know after the cameras went off, they may have "Swung from the Chandaliers". In this last episode, they definitely were acting married, and fully acknowledging the marriage

Considering his lifestyle, it wouldn't surprise me if he had no interest in producing a child(ren), but, we don't know that to be a fact
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Sindatur wrote: View Post
How do you know that? For all we know after the cameras went off, they may have "Swung from the Chandaliers". In this last episode, they definitely were acting married, and fully acknowledging the marriage

Considering his lifestyle, it wouldn't surprise me if he had no interest in producing a child(ren), but, we don't know that to be a fact
Uhm, because until we get some kind of evidence, that's patently not the case.

Otherwise, he's likely also a serial killer who enjoys slashing the throats of children when he's not on screen. After all, there's no evidence that he's not out doing it as we speak, no?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
How do you know that? For all we know after the cameras went off, they may have "Swung from the Chandaliers". In this last episode, they definitely were acting married, and fully acknowledging the marriage

Considering his lifestyle, it wouldn't surprise me if he had no interest in producing a child(ren), but, we don't know that to be a fact
Uhm, because until we get some kind of evidence, that's patently not the case.

Otherwise, he's likely also a serial killer who enjoys slashing the throats of children when he's not on screen. After all, there's no evidence that he's not out doing it as we speak, no?
There's no evidence to lead you to believe he is a Serial Killer who enjoys slitting children's throats. but, there is evidence that he does consider himself married and is happy with River being his wife.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Sindatur wrote: View Post

There's no evidence to lead you to believe he is a Serial Killer who enjoys slitting children's throats. but, there is evidence that he does consider himself married and is happy with River being his wife.
This. They're both married adults, the Doctor likes her, and has apparently matured beyond "golly, gosh wow!" reaction to her from the previous two seasons. And we all know how frisky she tends to be. They're both hurting, and have plenty of time free alone together.
Unless a Sontaran in a wedding dress suddenly beams into the console room, or they're rammed by the Lusitania, I see no reason to believe there isn't a bit of hanky panky in the Tardis between now and the Christmas story.

Not sure what to think of about the Doc having children though.
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:20 AM   #12
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Sindatur wrote: View Post
There's no evidence to lead you to believe he is a Serial Killer who enjoys slitting children's throats.
Sure there is. On many occasions he's lured children (a mere fraction of his age) into his va... TARDIS with the promise of fun and adventure, only to have them wind up dead not long thereafter. There's no reason to believe he doesn't like killing them himself. Heck, just look at how much more comfortable he is about being a violent psychopath (from outright running up to punch someone out, to committing the genocide of his own race, to vaporizing old men with missiles).

See, I can play that game of making-logic-up, too.

...but, there is evidence that he does consider himself married and is happy with River being his wife.
Consumating a marriage is a purely human concept. He's barely been shown to be comfortable kissing her since the marriage. Of course, he's also been implied to be a sex hound lately, too, but mostly with historical figures like Cleopatra far more than anything we've seen with River.

That said, I'm still not sure how it's okay to make things up if it suits your personal argument, but not when it's contrary to it. Until there's actual evidence suggesting it directly, it's just not true at all, no matter how many people agree with you. Argumentum ad populum, no?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Many occasions? That's a bit unfair, in Classic who we only have:

Sarah Kingdom (I haven't seen/heard it, but acknowledge her sacrifice)

Adric

Adric's Brother (And any others of his gang that might have died), if you want to count it (He was saved from certain death, and pirated the ship, before he ended up dying after the Hijacked trip)

In NuWho we have

DoctorDonna should be considered, although Donna lived, she stayed the same selfish shrew she started as, and probably got worse, considering she became Nouveau Riche and the Donna who became DoctorDonna died, just as Tuvix did

Astrid never traveled

Jack got immortality, but, as we were told in Classic Who it becomes a curse, and he became Undead/unable to die

Rory Pond-Williams who died numerous times, but, it never stuck

Amy Pond-Williams (Amy who waited was erased, Ganger Amy and Manhattan Angels Amy), but that never stuck

Melody Pond-Williams transferred into The Library World, and from the Doctor's perspective she never traveled)

Did I miss anyone? Based Upon this list, I'm not sure I'd credit your "many" accusation with as many as 4.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; October 4 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 10:19 PM   #14
MistbornFreak
Cadet
 
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

Well, there's the theory that Oswin is the Doctor's Daughter. . . although I don't know that it has all that much going for it. I mean, there's this picture, but really, it's not much at all. And the only thing that's the same is the chair.



Kinda hope she is, though, it might prove to be an interesting dynamic, that.
MistbornFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 12:33 AM   #15
G2309
Captain
 
G2309's Avatar
 
View G2309's Twitter Profile
Re: Will the Doctor have more children

We haven't seen him married before have we. I'm slowly watching more of the old series.
Interesting theory with Oswin.

In the last episode he talked about not wanting things to end so he might want children so that he leaves something when he dies. But then he might worry that he wouldn't be able to protect them.
__________________
For parodies check out

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
doctor who, parenting, river song

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.