Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 2 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Elton Pope from "Love and Monsters" in "The Good Wife"

The Good Wife has to be probably my favourite show on TV. Every episode is awesome and they get some awesome actors to play even minor roles.

One of the major story lines in the fourth season sees the return of Kalinda's ex husband, and as far as I'm aware at the end of Season 3 the part hadn't been cast even though it was heavily foreshadowed. People thought they might stunt cast it with a big name, but it turns out they've cast Marc Warren, whom Who fans will know from the less than stellar episode "Love and Monsters".

He's definitely playing a very different character in this to what he played in Who! Even if you aren't a Good Wife fan, try and check it out.

The same episode also features Nathan Lane.

I keep myself very spoiler free for the Good Wife, I remember when I watched the first episode that featured Michael J Fox I had no idea he was going to be in it. His very first appearance was just in the background and I remember thinking "god I love this show". It was great seeing him on TV again.
Old October 3 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Australis
Writer

Re: Elton Pope from "Love and Monsters" in "The Good Wife"

Have you not seen him in Hustle? The Discworld miniseries Hogfather? Mad Dogs?

(BTW, a snippet from Wikipedia:
His character, Elton, was set to return to Doctor Who in its fourth series as the Doctor's on-going companion, but this was dropped in favour of Donna Noble
So there y'go.)

The Good Wife is one of those shows I'll watch if it's on.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I love Marc Warren. He was fantastic in "State of Play", too.
Old October 3 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Starkers
Admiral

I like Marc Warren, although he was horribly miscast as Dracula by the Beeb a few years ago. Older than he looks...I never knew that he was in contention to be the 4th series companion? Would this have meant paving slab Ursula propped up in the Tardis?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I like Marc Warren, although he was horribly miscast as Dracula by the Beeb a few years ago.
I've tried mightily to forget that version of Dracula. It had a decent cast, but the script was atrocious.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
The Stig
Rear Admiral

He'll always be Private Blythe to me. His episode of 'Band of Brothers' was heart-wrenching.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Australis wrote: View Post

His character, Elton, was set to return to Doctor Who in its fourth series as the Doctor's on-going companion, but this was dropped in favour of Donna Noble
So there y'go.)

Wonder where that idea came from? Per Russell's book, the companion was going to be the journalist Penny, and they had already written scripts with her in them. The whole season changed in favor of Donna, but they still brought in the companion-who-never-was in that Partners in Crime episode.
Old October 6 2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Valeyard wrote: View Post

So there y'go.)

Wonder where that idea came from? Per Russell's book, the companion was going to be the journalist Penny, and they had already written scripts with her in them. The whole season changed in favor of Donna, but they still brought in the companion-who-never-was in that Partners in Crime episode.
The Journalist Penny? Is that the Black Anchor Woman, who has a different hair style in each appearance, and I didn't ever catch she was the same Actress/Character through so many episodes, until they spotlighted her in the recent BBCA Doctor Who Special? I didn't get to see much of it, but, I saw she was talking about the part and they kept flashing various appearances of her.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:31 AM   #9
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Valeyard wrote: View Post

(BTW, a snippet from Wikipedia: So there y'go.)

The Journalist Penny? Is that the Black Anchor Woman, who has a different hair style in each appearance, and I didn't ever catch she was the same Actress/Character through so many episodes, until they spotlighted her in the recent BBCA Doctor Who Special? I didn't get to see much of it, but, I saw she was talking about the part and they kept flashing various appearances of her.
No, she was only in the one episode. When Foster goes into the restroom and Donna thinks she's coming for her, it's Penny she's after. She takes Penny back to her office and shows her the Adipose, ties her to the chair, and she sits there until the Doctor eventually frees her.

Later, she says she's going to report them all for "madness."