Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 2 2012, 04:54 PM   #511
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Sindatur wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
both films made about the same about of money. So they did equally "well".
Profit: The positive gain from an investment or business operation after subtracting for all expenses.
But what's being pointed out is that Superman Returns didn't fail on it's own merit. Before a dime was actually spent towards the movie, it was already carrying about a $150Million burden from previous false starts. If it wasn't burdened with that previously spent budget, it would have performed a slight bit better than Batman Begins. It was front loaded to fail
That's right.

And I remember at the time when BB was released, there was kind of a perception in the media that it had under-performed at the box office, when compared to the mega-bucks that Batman or Batman Forever had raked in. You had an actor who wasn't that big a draw in the lead, surrounded by character actors - there was no stand-out superstar like Nicholson or Carrey playing a well-known villain (Ras and Scarecrow didn't have the same recognition value as Joker or Riddler).

The main difference between SR and BB - apart from the fact that BB wasn't saddled with the budgets for all the previous attempts to get a Batman movie off the ground - was that the latter seemed to enjoy a more positive response among fans and, perhaps more importantly, sold better on DVD, thus building up demand for a sequel. I personally like Returns a lot but I wasn't overly anxious to see what happened next in that universe, whereas I couldn't wait to see what Nolan and Bale's Batman did next.
Old October 2 2012, 08:05 PM   #512
the G-man
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Profit: The positive gain from an investment or business operation after subtracting for all expenses.
But what's being pointed out is that Superman Returns didn't fail on it's own merit. Before a dime was actually spent towards the movie, it was already carrying about a $150Million burden from previous false starts. If it wasn't burdened with that previously spent budget, it would have performed a slight bit better than Batman Begins. It was front loaded to fail
That's right...BB wasn't saddled with the budgets for all the previous attempts to get a Batman movie off the ground
A couple of points:
1. Are you sure BB wasn't saddled with the budgets for some of the abortive attempts at doing "Batman V," "Superman vs Batman," the Fincher Batman, etc.?
2. I could be wrong, but I think that SR was a money loser compared to BB even if you factor out the budgets for the abortive attempts.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 08:18 PM   #513
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ 1. I don't believe so. But don't forget that those Batman abortive efforts you mention never got anywhere near as far as the Superman abortive efforts. For example, Nic Cage and Tim Burton got 'play or pay' deals for Superman Lives and Kevin Smith got paid for writing a script. Then you had concept art, suit designs and tests, etc.

McG had a similar deal (I believe) for Flyby and JJ Abrams got paid for doing the script. There was a casting and audition process and the movie was almost set to shoot in Australia. And the Superman-reboot saga had dragged on since the early 1990s, with Returns hitting the screen in 2006; the other Batman projects, which never really went beyond concepts, only began after B&R in 1997, with BB being released in 2005.

2. I don't think that's right. I think it broke even but only modestly so.
Old October 2 2012, 08:37 PM   #514
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Actual movie costs would most likely be in the "standard" range for movies this size.. i guess somewhere around the 150 million mark (and i still always wonder where all this money goes).
From what I've read in the past, one indicator of where all the money goes is to look at the number of executive producers credited.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 01:31 AM   #515
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
both films made about the same about of money. So they did equally "well".
I'm well aware of the concept of profit. The quote marks around well are there for a reason.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:46 AM   #516
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Is it really? The target audience for your typical superhero feature film these days is in the 15-30 age range, more or less. Most of them wouldn't even have been born when the Carter series went off the air, and it's been quite a long time since it was in regular syndication. I think the generation that the movies will be targeted toward is more likely to know Wonder Woman from the Justice League animated series if at all.
I'm not so sure.. i believe the main audience of today's superhero movies consists of about 80% general audience who just want to see some hyped up, cool action movie with big scenes and cool special effects.
Which only reinforces my point. Most of the target audience would have little prior perception of Wonder Woman at all, and those that did are more likely to know her from the JL animated series than from the old '70s show. So it doesn't make sense to assume that the '70s series will dictate how the movie's audience perceives Wonder Woman.

Depending on how they want to portray Wonder Woman and how important she is to the storyline it could take away from the whole movie if they have to spend time to introduce her and not let her be just this superstrong woman who could stand up to Superman in a fight.
Well, the premiere episode of Justice League managed to cover her origins pretty well in about two minutes, although they trimmed out the traditional contest sequence.
But who would have watched the animated series? It's the 20% i estimated who would already know more background about the characters and who don't need any introduction but the other 80% who just want to see the latest blockbuster. They might not have seen the 70s show (far before most of them) and most of them don't watch superhero animated shows so you would need to introduce her if she has any vital role to play other than eye candy.

This is what i feel will distract from the movie itself.. all those origin stories need to be included apart from Superman and Batman who have really been done to death and have entered the public mind so if they don't want to do a Superman/Batman team up movies with some other characters thrown in like an afterthought they need to slow it down a bit and maybe follow the Marvel approach a bit better.. it worked for them and i believe DC has equally interesting characters to develop.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:21 PM   #517
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

You could handle all the introductions in the title sequence. You dont need long or complex intros to these characters. We dont need to know how Flash got his powers just that he has them.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:44 PM   #518
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
You could handle all the introductions in the title sequence. You dont need long or complex intros to these characters.
Agreed. I bet it could be done with no more than ten seconds per hero, all in moving pictures (to the musical soundtrack of the main title), and possibly even in five seconds each.
Old October 3 2012, 01:04 PM   #519
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

It could be done in a similar way to the beginnings of Watchmen and Wolverine.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:18 PM   #520
Christopher
Writer

But who would have watched the animated series?
For the third time... I never said that most or all of the target audience would be familiar with the animated series. I said that of those who had any prior familiarity at all, which would of course be the minority of the target audience, they'd be more likely to know her from JL/U than from the '70s series.

They might not have seen the 70s show (far before most of them) and most of them don't watch superhero animated shows so you would need to introduce her if she has any vital role to play other than eye candy.
Yes, obviously, and I'm saying that we know it's possible to do so quickly and efficiently because JL: "Secret Origins" managed to do so. I wasn't saying that the moviegoers would've already seen "Secret Origins" -- I was using it as precedent, an example to demonstrate that Wonder Woman's backstory can be quickly introduced to the uninitiated in the context of a JL movie, that it could be done without requiring 20 minutes of setup.

This is what i feel will distract from the movie itself.. all those origin stories need to be included apart from Superman and Batman who have really been done to death and have entered the public mind so if they don't want to do a Superman/Batman team up movies with some other characters thrown in like an afterthought they need to slow it down a bit and maybe follow the Marvel approach a bit better.
I don't agree that origin stories need to be included. They're necessary in the kind of movie world where there's only one superhero, an anomaly whose presence needs to be justified. But if a story is set in a world that explicitly has many superheroes, you don't need an explanation for where every one of them came from. The Incredibles didn't give us an origin story for any of its adult characters, except Syndrome. Mystery Men introduced a whole team of also-ran heroes and one major hero, and didn't give them origins. It's possible to just establish a superhero universe "already in progress," just treat it as a given that heroes exist and have powers due to a variety of mechanisms, and focus the story on who they are now rather than where they came from.

By analogy, cop movies don't require explaining to us why each police officer chose to join the force and how they trained for their job. Spy movies don't need to show us the reasons why their protagonists became spies. Space operas don't generally explain why their starship crews chose to go into space. In a genre where a particular role or profession is just a normative part of the world, then it isn't necessary to go into depth about the reasons behind every character's entry into that role.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:39 AM   #521
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Here's an interesting article on the "behind the scenes" structural problems that JL faces.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?...=zergnet_25040

I would add to it the fact that WB has been utterly unable to build a "universe" of highly successful films to serve as "lead ins" to JL as opposed to Marvel who has made hit after hit movie with solo characters first.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 07:17 AM   #522
sojourner
Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
I would add to it the fact that WB has been utterly unable to build a "universe" of highly successful films to serve as "lead ins" to JL as opposed to Marvel who has made hit after hit movie with solo characters first.
Hey, wow, there's a thought that hasn't been brought up before.

And damn, that linked article looked like it was written by a 5 year old.
Old October 5 2012, 07:37 AM   #523
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

^Whatever, Sojourner...the writer still clearly articulated several major structural problems (and at least one significant production problem)in the DC/WB system that any JL movie will have to overcome.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 04:31 PM   #524
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Good lord, doesn't that site have an editor or at least a proofreader?

Basically all this person said is the JLA is too powerful, so the threat they face would be so large and their powers are so great, it would cost too much money to film. I would disagree, none of their powers are "budget busters". He assumes that their power levels will be the same as seen in the comics, as well. More than likely they will handle it like the DCAU, where the powers were kept at a more "manageable" level. The threat doesn't have to be any greater than what was seen in Avengers, either. All you need is something to keep the JLA occupied in the same way the invading Chitauri did in The Avengers.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 04:42 PM   #525
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
I would add to it the fact that WB has been utterly unwilling to build a "universe" of highly successful films to serve as "lead ins" to JL as opposed to Marvel who has made hit after hit movie with solo characters first.
Fixed that for ya.

They don't want to make Wonder Woman. They made a Green Lantern movie that doesn't particularly lend itself to a shared universe. (Though to be fair, it doesn't rule it out, either-- but the point is they could have tried.) And they made three Batman movies whose nature utterly divorces the character from other superheroes.

The best we've gotten from ANY live-action DC property in the last thirty years was one line in the George Clooney movie.

They've chosen to dig their own hole.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote