To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 2 2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile
Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 (Discussion, Spoilers)

I sort of got the vibe that Nucky might be hallucinating his entire 'relationship' with Billie...I think that's her name...the girl he's sleeping with and couldn't reach on the phone. She obviously exists as a real person and was at the New Years Eve party in the first episode, but in this last episode, her disappearance and then sudden reappearance the next morning all seemed a bit fake, as if it were built up all in his head to help him overcome the guilt of killing Jimmy.

I could be wrong, but it was a definite feeling I had while watching this episode, particularly the last few scenes when Nucky arrives at the vacant apartment in the dark and then the next morning finds Billie there as if nothing has happened. I did miss the second episode though, so perhaps there's something there that I'm not seeing.

That being said, I hope Billie sticks around for a while...if for no other reason than she's easy on the eyes.

I'm curious to see where they go with Gyp Rosetti and I hope there is some method to his madness beyond simply stirring things up for the sake of creating conflict. One minute he's cool and calculated, the next he's flying off the handle and burning people alive.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:15 PM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

Spooky Cat wrote: View Post
I can see Richard taking out Rosetti.
Yeah, because Rosetti is fuckin' nuts.
Old October 2 2012, 05:30 PM   #33
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Heh...I can see just about anyone taking out Rosetti, particularly if he challenges Rothstien's interests. He's not very adept at fostering lasting relationships.
Old October 2 2012, 05:34 PM   #34
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Jimi_James wrote: View Post
I could be wrong, but it was a definite feeling I had while watching this episode, particularly the last few scenes when Nucky arrives at the vacant apartment in the dark and then the next morning finds Billie there as if nothing has happened. I did miss the second episode though, so perhaps there's something there that I'm not seeing.
Y'know - you may be right about this. Remember, when Nucky woke up that morning, he asked his guy if someone was frying something (I honestly thought he might have been in the beginning throes of a stroke at that point). The next day, he woke up in Billie's apartment with her frying bacon. There's a definite connection that I noticed there, but didn't think to ascertain that some of his scenes with Billie may be hallucinations.

This is starting to take on a bit of a Sopranos flavor with the weird dreams and visions.
Old October 2 2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I think Nucky will be the one taking Rosetti out (though not necessarily personally, although I could see that happening, too).

The thesis of Nucky dreaming his relationship with Billie is interesting but didn't he mention her or at least her house to Rothstein (who's her landlord) in an earlier episode? I think Rothstein remarked that she lived there. There is a weird vibe to the relationship now which is why I thought it was a trap laid by Rothstein. I'm curious where it will lead.
Old October 2 2012, 05:40 PM   #36
Rhaven
Captain

No one's mentioned the boy with the bullet hole in his cheek, have they?
That's a hallucination, I don't think Billie is.
Old October 2 2012, 05:44 PM   #37
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Nucky's clearly having some psychological issues over killing Jimmy. The child's seeping bullet hole perfectly matches the location of the first shot that dropped - but didn't kill - Jimmy in the last season finale. Nucky's known him all his life and has been a surrogate father - I have no doubt that was supposed to represent Jimmy as he looked (or at least as Nucky remembers him) as a child.

I think Billie is definitely real, but Nucky's relationship with her may be an extension of his growing dementia.
Old October 2 2012, 05:48 PM   #38
Rhaven
Captain

Huh, you think Nucky has dementia?
Old October 2 2012, 06:12 PM   #39
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I think he isn't just really made to be a full gangster, after all, and it's getting to him. That's a very interesting aspect of his character to me.
Old October 2 2012, 06:51 PM   #40
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The message meant to say Good Fortune, but Rosetti was too insecure and paranoid, thinking it was something bad because he couldn't understand it. But being Italian, it's odd that he hadn't caught that. I think Nucky was being sincere with this, but you never know.

I heard an interesting theory regarding Nucky and Billie, in that she helped distract him from thinking too much of what he did to Jimmy, because I do think he feels remorseful about that, and that without her around, it was starting to get to him.. I think the bacon is something he associates with Billie and smelled it even when she wasn't around because of his need for her. In a sense, she was like his drug. At first, I thought Nucky was having a stroke, but I later realized he just looked really distracted.

I have a hunch that something will happen to Billie later on, in which she'll need the care that Margaret is trying to get the hospital set up with. It would be an interesting twist considering Nucky's been against it, especially if it's something that could save her life.

Overall, I thought the episode had an odd narrative and pacing. Much of it felt disjointed.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 07:07 PM   #41
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I guess I used the term a little too loosely to describe his hallucinations, which are, arguably, not within his normal operational parameters. He's usually pretty well-wrapped and highly rational. Something is definitely going on inside his head outside the norm.
Old October 2 2012, 07:10 PM   #42
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The message meant to say Good Fortune, but Rosetti was too insecure and paranoid, thinking it was something bad because he couldn't understand it. But being Italian, it's odd that he hadn't caught that. I think Nucky was being sincere with this, but you never know.
I think it's also a close analog to saying "good luck", which would explain why Rosetti lost his shit and decided to torch the big cop after he said that very phrase, as if it were an exacerbation of the initial perceived insult.
Old October 2 2012, 07:19 PM   #43
Rhaven
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I guess I used the term a little too loosely to describe his hallucinations, which are, arguably, not within his normal operational parameters. He's usually pretty well-wrapped and highly rational. Something is definitely going on inside his head outside the norm.

I could see Nucky having a traumatic event break.
Old October 3 2012, 04:21 AM   #44
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I hope not. I hated the Sopranos weird dreams and visions bullshit.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
This is starting to take on a bit of a Sopranos flavor with the weird dreams and visions.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:15 PM   #45
the G-man
Commodore

T'Boo wrote: View Post
I hope not. I hated the Sopranos weird dreams and visions bullshit.
Me too. Once it was fine (the Big Pussy sequence). But then it got done to death (no pun intended). Now Matt Weiner's even done it on "Mad Men" once or twice as as well.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote