Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 3 2012, 12:50 AM   #316
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Funny, and here I was thinking Ten was the whiny, bratty man-child.

"The laws of time are mine. And they will obey me!!!"
"I'm the winner. Timelord Victorious."
"I don't want to die!!!"
Bah. Nine makes them both look stupid.

(Damn Ecclestone and his "I'll only do one season...")

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:55 AM   #317
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Eccleston. Eccleston. Eccelston.
Old October 3 2012, 01:31 AM   #318
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

"Oy! Who called?"
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:00 AM   #319
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

"Oy! Who called?"
Old October 3 2012, 02:08 AM   #320
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

"Oy! Who called?"

And I stick by what I said, even if I can't spell his name.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:33 AM   #321
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
And while there were people when Rory was "getting" the coffee, Central Park seemed devoid of live for the most part, especially when we only see the same 3 extras in the background for most of the Doc/Rory/Amy shots. Considering what they got seemed awfully underwhelming to me, I just felt like it may as well have been shot in the UK for presumably less expense.
Crowd control and I guess since they were in NY why not use Central Park

You have no soul if you don't get choked up at this picture.

Samurai8472 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:54 AM   #322
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think Eleven is more mature than some of us are giving him credit for. However, when it comes to people like River, Rory, and Amy, he doesn't see clearly. This is the first time in a very long time that the Doctor has felt like a part of a family, and he understandably doesn't want that to end.
Old October 3 2012, 03:13 AM   #323
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I think Eleven is more mature than some of us are giving him credit for. However, when it comes to people like River, Rory, and Amy, he doesn't see clearly. This is the first time in a very long time that the Doctor has felt like a part of a family, and he understandably doesn't want that to end.
He's also seems to have spent more time with River and the Ponds than any other companion that we know for sure about. He mentioned that he was around 1200 in an episode and he was around 907 when he first met Amy. So a quarter of his entire life as been with them. Also it is probably the best relationship anyone ever had with their in-laws.
Old October 3 2012, 05:01 AM   #324
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Unless you're wrong, in which case you've just altered a fixed point in time.
It's just like replacing the Doctor with a lookalike robot. In this case, you're planting a headstone to keep up appearances.

Mr Awe
The Doctor didn't replace himself with a lookalike robot. The Tessalect always was shot, he was just mistaken about it being the Doctor.

It's been shown that the Doctor has some sense of what a fixed point is. He figured out that not dying didn't destroy the timeline there, but he's also figured out that replacing Rory and Amy but leaving a tombstone would alter the timeline.
Old October 3 2012, 06:54 AM   #325
Ghost Bones
Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Old October 3 2012, 07:28 AM   #326
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Call me Angelus then.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:13 AM   #327
Starkers
Admiral

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post

"I don't want to die!!!"
Bullshit.

What happened after each of those instances? Ten realized his mistakes. He paid for it when Brook suicides herself. Ten gives his life so Wilf won't have to, even though Wilf wants to die so Ten won't have to.

You're not wrong that Ten had some of these same issues. The part where you're wrong is that unlike Eleven, Ten actually learns from these missteps.
Did he learn, really? After the who Timelor Victorious moment, he saw the Ood, knew what it meant, so what did he do? He ran, gave himself a little farewell tour, except then, when finally giving in to his destiny and exchanging places with Wilf (and for a moment he actually looked like he wouldn't) what does he proceed to do? Oh yes, he goes on another farewell tour, in fact he holds off his regeneration so long he almost blows the Tardis to pieces. Not to mention popping to visit Rose before she knows who he is, but nah, that'll probably be ok, no paradox there!

not to mention manipulating all of time and space to make Donna rich.

Of course eleven had a bit of a farewell tour as well, the difference is, when the moment came, he went willingly, nobley, and he knew he was going to his actual, final death as far as he knew, whereas Ten was pretty certain he'd regenerate.

I know which one's the better man.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:39 AM   #328
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post

"I don't want to die!!!"
Bullshit.

What happened after each of those instances? Ten realized his mistakes. He paid for it when Brook suicides herself. Ten gives his life so Wilf won't have to, even though Wilf wants to die so Ten won't have to.

You're not wrong that Ten had some of these same issues. The part where you're wrong is that unlike Eleven, Ten actually learns from these missteps.
Did he learn, really? After the who Timelor Victorious moment, he saw the Ood, knew what it meant, so what did he do? He ran, gave himself a little farewell tour, except then, when finally giving in to his destiny and exchanging places with Wilf (and for a moment he actually looked like he wouldn't) what does he proceed to do? Oh yes, he goes on another farewell tour, in fact he holds off his regeneration so long he almost blows the Tardis to pieces. Not to mention popping to visit Rose before she knows who he is, but nah, that'll probably be ok, no paradox there!

Of course eleven had a bit of a farewell tour as well, the difference is, when the moment came, he went willingly, nobley, and he knew he was going to his actual, final death as far as he knew, whereas Ten was pretty certain he'd regenerate.

Eleventh doc also seems to be more human than his predecessors in many ways. He lacks the Tennant ego and is very much capable of love and selfless sacrifice. I think some people assume he is immature because he is quite happy and excited a lot of the time, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this. His actions speak volumes.
Old October 3 2012, 09:43 AM   #329
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

^ & ^^
Agreed.

To me, Eleven's an actual person. Ten's an egotistical, irritating caricature. But I'm just a viewer; what would I know?

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Say what you want about RTD, but at least he never contradicted himself.
Really? Never?
Starkers wrote: View Post
Or even more appropriately, the whole Rose/alt universe saga. The universes are closed we can never, EVER see each other again...oops yes we can, or the whole Donna "If she remembers her head will explode" malarkey.
I'm not sure why this thread briefly turned into "RTD / Moffat sucks and anyone who disagrees is an idiot", but so long as we're here it's pretty clear neither is flawless.

And as much as I dislike the notion of the Ponds being gone forever...if Moffat pulls the sort of pathetic RTD-style "oh, we can undo this supposedly permanent thing" stunt mentioned above, I'll be beyond disgusted. I don't like it, but now it's done I'd rather it sticks.
Hope you don't mind me highlighting that bit, but truer words were rarely spoken!!
Nah, fine by me (and thanks). Thanks for providing me with a jumping-off point - so to speak.
Old October 3 2012, 10:02 AM   #330
Starkers
Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post

Bullshit.

Eleventh doc also seems to be more human than his predecessors in many ways. He lacks the Tennant ego and is very much capable of love and selfless sacrifice. I think some people assume he is immature because he is quite happy and excited a lot of the time, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this. His actions speak volumes.
Plus being overly excitable and somewhat immature surely come with the territory when it comes to the Doctor. Personally I quite like that Smith is less like a grumpy hyperactive child (like Ten) and more like a grumpy, overactive old man!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote