Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 2 2012, 11:19 PM   #271
Dream
Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

HAHA. No yet gives a crap about wanting VOY remastered for Blu-Ray! It's all DS9!
Old October 2 2012, 11:26 PM   #272
Sho
Fleet Captain

Well, I'd buy Voyager, too ... but yeah, DS9 comes first on my wishlist.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:27 PM   #273
Flake
Commodore

What I liked to see is that all the vfx elements from the motion pictures have been saved as well. Is the shot of the Klingon ship from heart of glory from Tmp? If so even those elements have survived!

Paramount did an utterly awful job with the movie blurays. I would like CBS to go do them right; remaster them at 4k+, recreate the vfx from the original elements so they all look as good as tng-HD (remove matt lines etc) and keep the grain intact - don't scrub it and make it look awful like the 5 min job paramount did.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:48 PM   #274
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Sho wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't think I could even say this. I'd watch it. Maybe rent it. Maybe buy some of the latter seasons but Voyager is just a show I watch when its on. And even then Im more likely to change the channel than watch it all.

DS9 on the other hand, I go back and rewatch that all the time, just like TNG.

I'd rather they release Ent. I'd love to watch Season 4 in Hi-Def, especially if they give it a generous special feature treatment (which considering its HD already, is really all they need to do).
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:50 PM   #275
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Flake wrote: View Post
What I liked to see is that all the vfx elements from the motion pictures have been saved as well. Is the shot of the Klingon ship from heart of glory from Tmp? If so even those elements have survived!
Yep. That's the original miniature photography done at Apogee in 1979 by Doug Smith under the supervision of John Dykstra. Notice also that they shot against black instead of bluescreen like ILM preferred. They over-exposed the model to create a matte pass -- essentially a luma key instead of a chroma key.
Old October 2 2012, 11:58 PM   #276
Dream
Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't think I could even say this. I'd watch it. Maybe rent it. Maybe buy some of the latter seasons but Voyager is just a show I watch when its on. And even then Im more likely to change the channel than watch it all.

DS9 on the other hand, I go back and rewatch that all the time, just like TNG.

I'd rather they release Ent. I'd love to watch Season 4 in Hi-Def, especially if they give it a generous special feature treatment (which considering its HD already, is really all they need to do).
ENT would be very easy to release on Blu-Ray since it was already filmed with HD cameras.

I can see CBS releasing ENT after TNG and seeing how well it sells before moving on to DS9 if they decide to do that.

In they end, they probably already have a very good idea how popular each show is since they know how well each show sold on DVD.
Old October 3 2012, 12:09 AM   #277
NewHorizon
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

Yep. That's the original miniature photography done at Apogee in 1979 by Doug Smith under the supervision of John Dykstra. Notice also that they shot against black instead of bluescreen like ILM preferred. They over-exposed the model to create a matte pass -- essentially a luma key instead of a chroma key.
So paramount still owns the movie rights and CBS the television rights, correct? Meaning, there is no chance Paramount would ever do such a thing?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:41 AM   #278
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

NewHorizon wrote: View Post

So paramount still owns the movie rights and CBS the television rights, correct? Meaning, there is no chance Paramount would ever do such a thing?
I think the most we could hope for would be new 4K scans of the cut negatives from each film like they did with Star Trek II. The only reason they're doing this for TNG is that nothing was assembled optically on film.
Old October 3 2012, 09:37 AM   #279
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

I agree. I would get Voyager and Enterprise as well, but I really hope DS9 will be next.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 10:00 AM   #280
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Notice also that they shot against black instead of bluescreen like ILM preferred. They over-exposed the model to create a matte pass -- essentially a luma key instead of a chroma key.
Ah, that's clever. I wondered what that was for.

It's great that the separate layers from the movie FX all survived on film. Is this how they originally used these shots for TNGs broadcast, or were the shots simply taken from the final cut film back then?

Dream wrote: View Post
As I understand it, many (if not all) of Enterprise's FX shots were rendered at 720p or lower, at least for the first three seasons. Fine for HD broadcast, but not quite up to Blu-ray standards.* Mind you, if Eden FX (and whatever other FX studios were involved) still have the files, it wouldn't be too big a job to re-render all those shots. Certainly an easier job than doing DS9!

* This same issue didn't stop Firefly from getting a Blu-ray release, mind you.

Last edited by Start Wreck; October 3 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:31 AM   #281
Jefferies
Captain

Joining in the chorus for Deep Space Nine Remastered! I would buy every season at what ever price they would ask for it.

From the final part of the interview the idea of seperating the music from the rest of the audio sounds like a great idea especially if its so easy to do! Hope they start doing that ASAP!
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 01:28 PM   #282
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Absolutely, Deep Space Nine remastered would be awesome! Hopefully there's enough demand for it (and TNG sells well enough). Dominion War in HD! Oh boy, just thinking of episodes like Sacrifice of Angels, Call to Arms, Way of the Warrior, etc, all remastered on blu-ray is making me drool
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:27 PM   #283
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Of course, you'd have to put up with two pretty boring seasons of episodes like Move Along Home and The Storyteller before you get to the good stuff at the end that everyone wants...

Still, add me for wanting it, CBS!
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:25 PM   #284
M
Vice Admiral

^ Actually DS9's second season is the thing I'm most looking forward to see in remastered form. My favorite season of the show.

But then again, I was never a Star Trek fan because of the battle scenes we get in the later seasons.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:45 PM   #285
senten
Ensign

The CBS interview was great. Very interesting stuff in it.

Was there to be some info on the unknown special feature on the Season 2 Bluray? I didn't see any hints at stuff we don't know about already (cast reunion interview).
senten is offline   Reply With Quote