RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 615
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 28 2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile
Re: Could you be a captain?

I would like to think that Starfleet has somewhat more stringent requirements than the modern military or university, given that you're potentially representing not only humanity, but hundreds of other races throughout the galaxy, to say nothing of the fact that many captains would have enough fire power at their disposal to lay waste to entire populations. So putting aside those lives that are directly under your command and looking at the bigger picture of the actual responsibility that rests on your shoulders, I somehow doubt that most people would make the cut.

So no, I could not be a captain.

That being said, they let Barclay join with all his instabilities and Troi passed the command test...they even made Crusher a captain in an alternate timeline...though she did promptly get her ship destroyed, so there you go. So who knows, maybe they just hand out ships like a reward system for time served.

All in all, Starfleet should have better standards given their importance in representing the Federation.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 08:41 PM   #32
judge alba
senior street judge

yep i'd be a captain.

Not of a galaxy class something small like a Miranda or even an ambassador though with my luck it would be a garbage scow.
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 08:57 PM   #33
Delsaber
Commodore

^ Ah, a captain in the Roger Wilco vein. I'd probably be right there, too.
Old September 28 2012, 09:00 PM   #34
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore

No, I'd be the other Picard from "Tapestry", the junior astrophysicist who never stands out.
Theodore Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 10:03 PM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I could be a civilian freighter captain, but nothing more.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 10:44 PM   #36
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Depends on what kind of captain. A small science or civilian ship maybe but a big and more military-type like ship - no.
Old September 29 2012, 03:08 AM   #37
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

One thing I don't get is the elitism Starfleet has about senior officers .

In Tapestry, Picard said that being a simple science officer was boring and beneath him. He might have insulted Dax, Obrien, and a whole load of characters.

Just being an officer is cool in itself, you've got authority and respect, and get to do a job you're good at.

Who absolutely needs to be captain in charge of everything at every moment, getting glory every second?
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:10 AM   #38
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Fatheads.

Actually I think some people just don't like being under someone else's command because they always feel they could be doing a better job. This is why the Trek captains are always less than happy about their little conference calls from Admirals.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:20 AM   #39
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

They really took it far in Trek.

I see the power they have, but a lot of it seems pompous at times.

Even Troi, a career psychologist, had to get into the act.

It's like everyone joined so they could become a captain and sit in the big chair.

Take Harry Kim. He's been an ensign for 7 years--actually I understand why he would be pissed. But on the other hand, I understod they were in abnormal predicament.

They were stranded with a skeleton crew 70 years away from home. I woiuldn't expect a promotion during that period.

But just being an Ensign gives him authority over the non com officers. Hell, he's chief of operations, a deptartment head.

That would be a-ok with me.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:22 AM   #40
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post

Take Harry Kim. He's been an ensign for 7 years--actually I understand why he would pissed. But on the other hand, I understod they were in abnormal predicament.

They wewre stranded with a ske;eton crew 70 years away from home. I woiuldn't expect a promotion during that period.
He was worried he would die out there and on his gravestone it would say "ensign" and he would be 47 years old.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:19 PM   #41
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I'd be the kind of captain who really relies on his senior officers for support and advice. You rarely get the chance to interview and decide on who those people will be. Stuck on a starship with a "lesser" crew would be a major disappointment for me. So, being a captain would have to be a conditional thing in my mind.

In any case, I tend to be a better follower than leader. My mind works a little better when stress is light to moderate, not moderate to intensive. So... I'd rather be an XO and advise the captain. As long as that man is NOT Jellico.