Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 2 2012, 06:17 AM   #16
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Should I keep going?

Mage wrote: View Post
toughlittleship wrote: View Post
Rough Beasts of Empire is pretty good, although the Sisko storyline established there doesn't pay off until Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn.
I'm a big Sisko fan, and I loved the daring direction DRG took with him in RBoE, and loved the continuation in PoN/RtD even more!

But I do see how other fans were upset. So yes, I do suggest that you read all three of them, to get the entire picture.
As a die hard Niner I fully admit RBoE was a tough one for me to like. It wasn't until PoN & RtD that I came to my senses.

As for the rest of the 'series' I've been extremely pleased, they've been fun stories. For me at least.
Old October 2 2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Destructor
Commodore

I'm feeling the general consensus is that I should continue, but that I can skip STF if I please.

Q: Would that leave me out of step with the next TTN novel? I generally like the series.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Sho
Fleet Captain

Taken from the poll numbers Raise the Dawn is the most acclaimed 24th-century novel to be released since Destiny. Plagues ranks highly as well, while Brinkmanship still beats out Paths. While you have to be careful trusting these numbers due to the relatively small sample sizes, they suggest that the more recent Pact entries have been better-received than the earlier ones.

As for Size the Fire, yes, Fallen Gods follows on from it. However both books have been received generally poorly and currently close out the ranking in that order.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Sho wrote: View Post
Taken from the poll numbers Raise the Dawn is the most acclaimed 24th-century novel to be released since Destiny. Plagues ranks highly as well, while Brinkmanship still beats out Paths. While you have to be careful trusting these numbers due to the relatively small sample sizes, they suggest that the more recent Pact entries have been better-received than the earlier ones.
And pardon the blowing of my own horn, but TrekMovie voted Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within the best short story or novella of 2011, and even called it the "clear winner... for all Star Trek fiction in 2011."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Paris
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
...And pardon the blowing of my own horn, but TrekMovie voted Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within the best short story or novella of 2011, and even called it the "clear winner... for all Star Trek fiction in 2011."
I wish I could get a paper version of it .
Paris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 07:22 PM   #21
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

And pardon the blowing of my own horn, but TrekMovie voted Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within the best short story or novella of 2011, and even called it the "clear winner... for all Star Trek fiction in 2011."
I just downloaded it this morning, and I'm certainly enjoying it so far.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

And TOTALLY off topic: Only Superhuman downloads in ten days. Just in time for Fall Break. Cannot wait!

Back on topic: The DRGIII trilogy is my favorite so far. Very, very disappointed with the Titan offerings.
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:10 AM   #23
JWolf
Commodore

Paris wrote: View Post
...And pardon the blowing of my own horn, but TrekMovie voted Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within the best short story or novella of 2011, and even called it the "clear winner... for all Star Trek fiction in 2011."
Just suck it up and buy the eBook. That will help S&S decide to do more eBook only releases and by doing that, we can get more Star Trek each month.
Old October 9 2012, 07:33 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JWolf wrote: View Post
Just suck it up and buy the eBook. That will help S&S decide to do more eBook only releases and by doing that, we can get more Star Trek each month.
I refuse to pay six dollars for a hundred page novella.
Old October 9 2012, 08:43 PM   #25
shanejayell
Captain

Yeah, I'm kinda dubious about encoraging them to sell stuff with less content for more money....
Old October 9 2012, 10:27 PM   #26
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

JWolf wrote: View Post
except I don't know where to buy them anymore. my old ebook seller no longer sell them for residence outside N. America, and I refuse to buy from amazon.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:59 PM   #27
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ I usually buy at a UK online shop.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
sulfur
Lieutenant Commander

I'm about halfway through Paths of Disharmony right now. I picked up all four TP books at the start of the year, whipped through Zero Sum Game, loving it, then hit Seize the Fire. I really disliked a lot of that book. Now, I will admit that the basic plot was interesting, and the way things were resolved was good, but I had trouble with the writing style and found that few of the characters gave me reason to care about them.

That stopped me dead in my tracks and I skipped off to other books for a while, starting the Vanguard series (currently hunting for book #3), some other non-Trek novels, etc. I picked up Rough Beasts last week and took 4 days to get through it, and really enjoyed it. Going back and reading the disappointed comments about the book surprised me, as I felt that it was an excellent story, and a logical direction for Sisko to move in. Oddly, I felt that I'd already read the Spock/Romulan portion of the story, so that was more than a bit weird.

That led me straight into Paths, and I'm finding it a bit hit and miss. It's nice to deal with the TNG crew again (I've found that their novel personas tend to be the best defined of the lot, and thus often the most fun to read), but I'm finding the Andorian stuff with Shar a bit rough to get through. I will admit that I didn't enjoy the Andor DS9 novel, but I did really like the Andorian comic that IDW put out a year or two ago, so take that as you will.

Reading through the comments in this thread, I'm really looking forward to the DS9/TP duology that came out recently, as it sounds like a strong and good "conclusion" to the Sisko storyline.
sulfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:44 PM   #29
Ktrek
Captain

Not to be rude Chris but that could be just a reflection of the current state of Star Trek lit, which in my opinion is at a real low point. Not that your story was not good but I would have rated it as fair and no way the best of all Star Trek fiction for 2011. Star Trek books in general are getting less memorable. I kind of wish Pocket would reboot the whole book line and start fresh with some new blood and new ideas.

Kevin
Old October 11 2012, 06:47 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ktrek wrote: View Post
I kind of wish Pocket would reboot the whole book line and start fresh with some new blood and new ideas.

Kevin
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.