Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 19 2012, 01:35 AM   #16
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: Yet Another Rewatch Thread...

I LOVE Necessary Evil, I've seen every episode of trek and I would probably put it in the top ten.

For some reason I quite like Sanctuary, despite knowing it's not very good I find myself entertained

Really like Rivals and never could understand the hate. I can see people not liking it but calling it one of the worst DS9 episodes ever just seems strange to me.

I'm a huge fan of the O'Brian/Bashir dynamic but I find Armageddon Game extremely boring.
Old September 21 2012, 12:32 AM   #17
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

"Whispers"

It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you
...It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you
.....It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you

This is a fun episode, though once you learn the ending, the rewatching is less entertaining, as the reveal is very slow. But O'Brian suffers well doesn't he.

7.5 out of 10

"Paradise"

I HATE this episode. I hated it the first time I saw it..and I still hate it. I am not unbiased, so I will not vent.

3 out of 10

"Shadowplay"

This is a fun episode, another name drop of the Dominion, a great Guest Star, and a important B-plot of Kira and our fave Holy man getting it on. Though for whatever reason, I saw the plot a mile away, but hey, still a good episode.

6 out of 10

"Playing God"

I find this episode boring, just no real interest in the Trill plot, and the proto-universe plot is as flat as a soda left out all day. However this is one of the last of the truly boring episodes.

4 out of 10

"Profit and Loss"

Garak

This is one of the episodes that is better then it deserves. And it near this time (Though I put it at "Blood Oath" as when DS9 goes "Into gear") when DS9 starts to come into its own. Quark is cute with him being in love, and Garak playing his own game in the the Great game.

6 out of 10

"Blood Oath"

The writers decide to change Dax (To be blunt, I think the post Blood Oath Dax is easier to act, and Farrel was more comfortable with the cute tough girl then the uncommon wise girl.

As for the episode, even if your not a TOS fan, it is great to see the amazing guest actors, and the Albino is a fun bad guy. And it has decent action sequences (Star Trek action sequences are generally rather bad) though I know it can be done on TV at the time, but it was kinda sad not to see the heart cut out and eaten.

7 out of 10

"The Maquis" Part 1 and 2

A Two parter, and I must admit.

I would be supporting the Maquis. There I said it.

Anyways...

Tons of good action, Ships blowing up, kidnapping, one of the cutest and most curious Vulcans put on the small screen, and then a nice space battle.

I know that this was set up more for Voyager, but the Maquis are a great addition to star trek lore. It was a fast paced episode of the time, which means that in todays frenetic pacing, it holds up well.

Part one 7 out of 10
Part two 8 out of 10

"The Wire"

Garak

A fun episode, The writers knew they had a gem in Garak, and started to flesh out him. Dr. Bashir is good, we meet Enabran Tain, and it rolls along. Fun episode, with some great acting.

7 out of 10

"Crossover"

Odo is blown up.

It is still shocking to see Odo blown up, even if it is the Mirror Odo. I know some folks dislike the Mirror episodes, but I happen to think they did a great job with this, and the Intendant is wow.

Hey, DS9 has done Star trek in NU-BSG style, it is the Mirrior episodes of DS9.

7 out of 10
Old September 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I am a bit behind on my Reviews, I am almost finished with season 3....

"The Collaborator"

This is not a bad episode, and the writers make the brilliant choice of making Winn Kai, but much of this episode is Bajorian Politics and Orb experiences, and unless there is a threat of shooting at each other, Bajorian politics can get old quickly. A bit of a snooze of a episode.

5 out of 10

"Tribunal"

Another lukewarm episode, you know that they will save the skin of O'Brian, so much of it is somewhat lacking. Though it is nice to see bits of spoonhead prime and so on. But in the end. it just ...ok

5 out of 10

"The Jem'Hadar"

Now this is a fun episode. Adventure, Dad-Kid time, Ships blowing up, a nice twist at the end. Wonder if Eris just beamed herself out into deep space to avoid capture, after all, there would be another one just like her. that and they blew up a galaxy class star-ship. Still surprising after all this time.

This is a "step up episode" where episodes got consistently better. Even in season 1 they can strike gold (see "Duet") but At blood Oath, the series got stronger, and once again, after this episode, the standard for episodes gets stronger.

8 out of 10

Season 2 in the books

Season 2 Avg is 6

However my impression is that 2 is much stronger then 1, as one as a few great episodes, and then many bad ones, while season 2 is much more constantly stronger.
Old October 1 2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I am into season 4 on my watching..however my reviews have not started on season 3

Soooo

"The Search" Part 1

First off, the crew gets the Defiant, which was very smart for writing, as it allows the entire crew to sometimes go exploring off the station without resorting to having a Delta of Runabouts, I always liked the sub-commander, shame they didn't make her a reoccurring character.

Odo gets upset about a starfleet officer getting in his security job (The great Lieutenant Commander Michael Eddington), then they crew tramps off to find the founders, are attacked, and we have one of the better action sequences in trek so far (TNG didn't do good action sequences.) Kira wakes up with Odo next to her, landing on a small world. Odo finds his long lost race, of course, we know that this race will be founders, or the anti-founders, but anyways...

7.5 out of 10

"The Search" Part 2

Odo finds out his race is the founders, and there is a fun, conspiracy episode where everything is wrong. It is revealed that the crew was kidnapped and put into a simulation to discover how they would act. Fun stuff, of course, leads to the question, "When did the simulation start?" which is not clearly answered, but it is still a fun start.

8.5 out of 10

"The House of Quark"

Combining a Klingon episode and Ferengi episode? That is ripe for disaster, but it works. Gilka is kinda cute, for a Klingon, and there is some humor as it is the Ferengi meeting the Klingon culture, but this is not a great episode.

the O'Brian family issues is well done, I think it works better to make is wife as being mostly away, or make her a common regular, and it worked better making her mostly away.

6 out of 10

"Equilibrium"

Dax has some "Symbote" issues, which means she almost dies and exposes the trills as covering up stuff. I guess I could rant and go over the confusing role of the trills, which went from a odd one off episode species, to one of the pillars of the federation, and your head hurts unless you think the TNG Trill is another species then the DS9 Trill.

Kinda like the Phyco killer past of Dax, but the episode has a issue, its kinda boring. This is episode no 50

5 out of 10

"Second Skin"

This is a good episode, and I think it would of been better if it was unclear genetic wise if Kira background would be forever hazy, but she just accepted that she was Bajorian, then that it was all a Order plot. Of course, Garak is involved, and is awesome.

I also always heard that Nana V. Hated the makeup...

6.5 out of 10

“The Abandoned”

Quark buys scrap from our fave female freighter captain prior to Kasidy, and finds a baby in it, the baby is a Jem'Hadar. The entire plot feels like exposision on the Jem'Hadar instead of a plot line. The B-plot, that Jake has landed a hot Dabo girl kept me liking the episode a little, and I think this girl was more curious then say, Leeta. Or a darker plot where Starfleet puts the kid in stasis and flies off with him.

4 out of 10

"Civil Defense"

I love this episode..

a minor issue sets off a old security feature, which leads to rising issues till everyone is facing a bad situation. This would of been better as a season 1 episode, but it still a hoot, and the replicated weapon in the replicator blasting away causes me to laugh each time .

I guess I not going to nitpick this episode, it is too much fun.

7 out of 10

"Meridian"

When I think of crappy DS9 episodes, this is the episode that comes to mind, however, it is not the worse episode. However, it is bad when you have Tiron want to have a Holosuite program of Kira, while creepy as heck, is slightly less creepy then Dax falling for a nobody guy on the magical planet main plot. However this is a crappy episode, even if Tiron saves it from being the worse episode.

3 out of 10

"Defiant"

This episode is darn fine, Riker's alter Ego from TNG comes on board, steals the Defiant, and much hilarity ensues,

Ok, just joking.

This is a fun episode, where the Marquis strike again, this time stealing a ship, and exposing a major fleet build up. It is a shame they never revisited the ending.

7.5 out of 10

"Fascination"

This is not a bad episode, but one that I dislike. It is a Farce that I just don't like, I guess it juvenile to me. But it almost works...

5 out of 10

"Past Tense" part 1

they get thrown back into time, (time travel alert) and Dax is sent to the high class society, and the "Darkies" of our commander and doctor are sent to the homeless camps. A good man named Bell tries to protect the commander and doctor, and is killed, and the timeline changes.

So, the commander takes up the dead guys ID, There will be riots.

Good episode, but as subtle as a brick though a window.

6 out of 10

"Past Tense" part 2

The crew fixes the time issue and Bell ID is placed on a dead man. All is fixed. however, it is fun to watch, and a fun episode.

7.5 out of 10

"Life Support "

you know his comment is coming...

This episode is so boring, that I needed life support to stay awake. Though I feel bad for Kira, though it does open the Jake/Kira Shipping that we all know is the best way forward.

4 out of 10
Old October 2 2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Not sure if anyone is still following but....

"Heart of Stone"

A nice Character episode with a surprise at the end. as for the subplot, it is nice to see nog know his limits.

5 out of 10

"Destiny"

This is a ok episode, and its nothing spectacular, though there is some humor with the cardasian crushing on the Chief. But its nothing special to write home about.

5 out of 10

"Prophet Motive"

This is not a good ferengi episode, the bashir getting nominated for a award is a better plot line. In fact, this is just a bad episode.

4 out of 10

Visionary"

After a couple of best lukewarm episodes, this one knocks it out of the park, where there is a time shift and the Chief keeps seeing himself dead in the future. This is one of the better "good examples" of star trek Deep Space Nine, not the best, but a good example of what the story telling of the show can lead to.

8 out of 10

"Distant Voices"

This episode is bad, REALLY bad plot. however the makeup and acting is better then one would expect, the acting is better then one would expect, and leads to this episode being better thing it has the right to be. Having the tailor around never hurts.

6 out of 10

"Through the Looking Glass" -- Or how to sleep with you female command staff without getting in trouble.

I will just say that the plot is fun, the actress that Plays Jennifer is stunning, and I am sure the actors had fun playing evil. That and my jokes are not as funny as i think they are, and I do not think they are that funny

7 out of 10

"Improbable Cause"

Garak's Shop goes boom.
Odo and Garak search for clues
By Tain, the Tailor

8 out of 10

"The Die is Cast"

A fun episode where things rush headlong into a trap, and we learn the founders are the sneaky sort. Excellent episode.

8 out of 10

"Explorers"

This episode should on all accounts be a failure. But it just works.

6.5 out of 10

"Family Business"

After a great run of episodes, they hit this. it is bad.

4 out of 10

"Shakaar"

This episode feels almost rushed, as it almost feels like it should be a two parter. however this Shakaar is much more fun to watch then the boring man that be became as first minister.

6 out of 10

"Facets"

This is a quiet, rather boring episode. Just calling it like I see them, as I know some like this episode. Though seeing spots on Odo is fun. And not a huge fan of Leeta.

4 out of 10

"The Adversary"

A very good episode, but not quite the barnburners that a lot of season finals turn into (though the opening of season 4 is a barnburner). But it is a great paranoid monster hunting episode.

8 out of 10
Old October 5 2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Is there any interest in me continuing this?
Old October 6 2012, 10:31 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Honestly, I'd say you spitting out episodes by the dozen kinda makes it hard to offer commentary on any specific one. I love the discussion that goes on during a rewatch thread because it gives us the chance to delve into each individual episode.

I can't speak for anyone but me in this of course. I'd probably be commenting more often if there was a chance for an actual discussion on any one episode to happen. I hope I'm not discouraging you in this, just trying to offer some constructive feedback.
Old October 6 2012, 03:12 PM   #23
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Honestly, I'd say you spitting out episodes by the dozen kinda makes it hard to offer commentary on any specific one. I love the discussion that goes on during a rewatch thread because it gives us the chance to delve into each individual episode.

I can't speak for anyone but me in this of course. I'd probably be commenting more often if there was a chance for an actual discussion on any one episode to happen. I hope I'm not discouraging you in this, just trying to offer some constructive feedback.
No, thank you fr letting me know!

I will slow down the pace and give more detailed reviews. I ended up without a job, so I have too much free time.

In fact, I will reset to Whispers

"Whispers"

It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you
...It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you
.....It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you

This is a fun episode, though once you learn the ending, the rewatching is less entertaining, as the reveal is very slow. But O'Brian suffers well doesn't he.

Chao does a good job, while always good looking, her acting in trek has always been hot or cold, but this is one of her better episodes, before they shunted her to Bajor as they couldn't figure out what to do with her.

The pacing is slow by todays standards, with the false O'brian listening to logs and trying to figure out what is going on, but it oddly touching to see it.

That, and I have a weakness for clone stories, and this is a clone (well, replicant) story...

7.5 out of 10

I will wait a day or two to allow some conversation before moving on, I will do "Paradise" and "Shadowplay" in detail on the next post.
Old October 7 2012, 09:03 PM   #24
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Is there any interest in me continuing this?
I think us Niners are getting spoiled for watch threads lately. Not only currently yours and Godben's (and occasional Nerys Ghemor's), but there's Trek Today, AVClub, SFDebris... holy cow, there's another just appearing today!?

Point is you're gonna have to spice your write-ups somehow to generate conversation. I never thought I'd say this about a DS9 Watch Thread, but it's kind of getting lost in the glut.
Old October 14 2012, 04:43 AM   #25
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
I agree.