RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,759
Posts: 5,216,451
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 938
Newest member: Vger23

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 2 2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Luminus
Fleet Captain
 
Luminus's Avatar
 
Location: The Singularity
Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Spoilers... I think.




I just finished reading the first issue and it states that the borg of the 29th century have assimilated the entire galaxy. However, there were several stories dealing with the 31st century in Enterprise and Voyager (here).

Also, the story seems to copy and paste the same plot from Voyager's Scorpion I & II. I'd say the story is okay, but these 2 issues stood out to me. Anyone else reading this?
__________________
The Legend of Stratus Janice

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
it states that the borg of the 29th century have assimilated the entire galaxy. However, there were several stories dealing with the 31st century in Enterprise and Voyager (here).
And Star Trek has only ever shown one version of the distant future.

Also, the story seems to copy and paste the same plot from Voyager's Scorpion I & II.
You think? I haven't seen too many parallels yet. It's way too early to start guessing what Braga's new story is doing.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
rahullak
Fleet Captain
 
rahullak's Avatar
 
Location: India
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

I'm 20 pages in, and I can see the parallel with Scorpion. Its not exact, but there are similarities.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Luminus
Fleet Captain
 
Luminus's Avatar
 
Location: The Singularity
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Luminus wrote: View Post
it states that the borg of the 29th century have assimilated the entire galaxy. However, there were several stories dealing with the 31st century in Enterprise and Voyager (here).
And Star Trek has only ever shown one version of the distant future.
Star Trek HAS only shown one version of the distant future. All other futures get wiped out and they never intersect, as far as I remember. For example, there's never 2 contradicting stories about the same distant future.
__________________
The Legend of Stratus Janice

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: State of Maryland/District of Columbia
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Luminus wrote: View Post
it states that the borg of the 29th century have assimilated the entire galaxy. However, there were several stories dealing with the 31st century in Enterprise and Voyager (here).
And Star Trek has only ever shown one version of the distant future.
Star Trek HAS only shown one version of the distant future. All other futures get wiped out and they never intersect, as far as I remember.
And what, exactly, makes you think that the distant future seen in Hive will not similarly be wiped out by the time Hive ends? What makes you think the future of Hive is going to last any more than the futures seen in "All Good Things..." or "The Visitor" or "Endgame?"
__________________
This dream must end, this world must know:
We all depend on the beast below.
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:22 AM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

There was a tiny bit towards the end of Watching the Clock, where some doubt is cast on whether the 29th and 31st century time cops represent the same future. Amusingly, it seems as if they themselves weren't entirely sure.

And you only have to look at "Shockwave", "Twilight" "Azati Prime", "All Good Things", "The Visitor", "Future's End", "Storm Front" etc. to see how easily the future of Trek shifts and changes. How many Trek stories about the distant future take place between blasts of Annorax's weapon, where entire species that play a pivotal role in one timeline are deleted from existence?
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
Star Trek HAS only shown one version of the distant future. All other futures get wiped out and they never intersect, as far as I remember. For example, there's never 2 contradicting stories about the same distant future.
Think about it. Star Trek is a franchise created by many different writers and producers. Nobody writing one story is going to know for sure what some future writer or producer may want to do in a later story -- or what they themselves might want to do a couple of years down the road. So there's a built-in pressure to avoid imposing limits on the future, to leave things as open-ended as possible so there won't be anything restricting what future stories can do. So Trek episodes that give a glimpse into the future tend to make a point of leaving things ambiguous. "All Good Things..." ended with the crew specifically saying that now that they knew about that future, it wouldn't necessarily unfold the same way -- and of course it didn't.

So it's one of the core assumptions of Trek time travel that the future is absolutely not fixed, that there are many different directions it could take. Not only because it's necessary to avoid restricting future storytellers' choices, but because it's necessary to maintain a sense of danger and high stakes. All these stories about fighting to save the Federation or the galaxy don't carry as much weight if the future is already predestined. So since ST is a fictional franchise and the needs of drama and storytelling dictate its rules, one of those fundamental rules is that the future is always mutable. (Which is further reinforced by "Parallels," which showed that the timeline naturally, spontaneously diverges into many paths even without time travel being involved.)

And just because we haven't seen overt contradictions between our glimpses of the far future, that doesn't mean there aren't any. We really haven't seen enough of any distant future to jump to such sweeping conclusions. There may not be any proof that Braxton's Temporal Integrity Commission and Daniels's Temporal Agents aren't in the same timeline, but there's no proof that they are either. They're entirely separate agencies, one Starfleet and one civilian. They could be part of a common history -- I proposed how one could've led to the other in Watching the Clock -- but there's hardly any proof that they are.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Cartoonist
Captain
 
Cartoonist's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Luminus wrote: View Post
it states that the borg of the 29th century have assimilated the entire galaxy. However, there were several stories dealing with the 31st century in Enterprise and Voyager (here).
And Star Trek has only ever shown one version of the distant future.
Star Trek HAS only shown one version of the distant future. All other futures get wiped out and they never intersect, as far as I remember. For example, there's never 2 contradicting stories about the same distant future.
Think about it: We've seen literally thousands of alternate universes on screen (in that TNG episode where thousands of Enterprises were showing up in the same area - and there were several other episodes dealing with multiple alternate universes/timelines/realities as well).

Unless you're saying all of those alternate universes converge into that one distant future we've seen... then that means there are an equally large number of alternate futures.

What's more, once Locutus succeeds in altering the past, this future won't even exist anymore.
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 05:25 AM   #9
Luminus
Fleet Captain
 
Luminus's Avatar
 
Location: The Singularity
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Well, looking at it that way, I see your points. My mind is just stuck on TV trek, so when there's a discrepancy.... you know.
__________________
The Legend of Stratus Janice

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

^But it's TV Trek that gives the clearest evidence that the future is far from fixed, that any potential future is tenuous and easily changed.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Luminus
Fleet Captain
 
Luminus's Avatar
 
Location: The Singularity
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

^No. TV trek NEVER contradicts its future by showing 2 different versions of the same future century. There's only 1 instance of the 29th century. 1 instance of the 31 century. 1 instance of the 26th century and so on. Source: Memory Alpha

So anytime someone comes back from the future, it has to be a time we've never seen or heard of. And if they do come back from one of the as seen futures, it must be the same as depicted before (see Voyager's "Relativity" and "Future's End"). Those futures only change because of the altered events happening in the present.
__________________
The Legend of Stratus Janice

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Sci wrote: View Post
Luminus wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

And Star Trek has only ever shown one version of the distant future.
Star Trek HAS only shown one version of the distant future. All other futures get wiped out and they never intersect, as far as I remember.
And what, exactly, makes you think that the distant future seen in Hive will not similarly be wiped out by the time Hive ends? What makes you think the future of Hive is going to last any more than the futures seen in "All Good Things..." or "The Visitor" or "Endgame?"
Honestly I get the feeling that this is what the plot will revolve around.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
^No. TV trek NEVER contradicts its future by showing 2 different versions of the same future century. There's only 1 instance of the 29th century. 1 instance of the 31 century. 1 instance of the 26th century and so on.
That's not true. We've seen multiple conflicting versions of the late 24th and early 25th century, timelines that have clearly been wiped out -- "All Good Things...," "The Visitor," "Timeless," "Shattered," and "Endgame."

And like I've said, lack of contradiction is not proof of consistency. Those various far futures may not explicitly conflict with each other, but they don't explicitly reference each other either. So you're jumping to a conclusion that can't be proven, and that doesn't even make sense in the broader context of a universe where the mutability of time has been explicitly demonstrated almost from the beginning.


So anytime someone comes back from the future, it has to be a time we've never seen or heard of.
No, it really, really doesn't. Admiral Janeway in "Endgame" came back from roughly the same time as adult Alexander in "Firstborn," the first decade of the 25th century. And we've seen four distinct versions of the 2390s: in "Timeless," in "The Visitor" (the portions set in Jake's mid-30s), in "Shattered" (with grown-up Naomi stuck in Astrometrics), and in "All Good Things...". Plus Trek literature has given us yet another alternate version of the same era in Millennium: War of the Prophets.


And if they do come back from one of the as seen futures, it must be the same as depicted before (see Voyager's "Relativity" and "Future's End").
Ahh, but those aren't necessarily the same future! Remember, at the end of "Future's End," Captain Braxton's own history had been changed so that he had never been thrown back in time and had to live on 20th-century Earth. Yet the Braxton of "Relativity" remembered living on 20th-century Earth and had a grudge against Janeway because of it. They contradict each other, which is really just sloppy writing, but it certainly doesn't support your case that they're the same unalterable future. (The fact that Braxton was played by a different actor doesn't help either, though that doesn't prove anything.)


Those futures only change because of the altered events happening in the present.
You're making the mistake of thinking of this as though it were something real instead of what it really is, a story. Since it is only make-believe, the "laws" of time travel are only what the writers need them to be for the sake of the story, and it's important to keep that in mind. As I've already explained, there are very good story reasons why Trek writers have always made a point of portraying the future as a mutable thing, so that they won't unduly restrict the storytelling options of future writers, themselves included. Your assumption just doesn't fit with either the in-story evidence or real-world common sense.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
^No. TV trek NEVER contradicts its future by showing 2 different versions of the same future century. There's only 1 instance of the 29th century. 1 instance of the 31 century. 1 instance of the 26th century and so on. Source: Memory Alpha

So anytime someone comes back from the future, it has to be a time we've never seen or heard of. And if they do come back from one of the as seen futures, it must be the same as depicted before (see Voyager's "Relativity" and "Future's End"). Those futures only change because of the altered events happening in the present.
From "Future's End" ...

BRAXTON [on viewscreen]: Do you know me?

CHAKOTAY: Yes, unfortunately.

JANEWAY: You tried to destroy our ship in the
twenty-fourth century and the next time we saw
you, you were an old man, homeless, in 1996.

BRAXTON [on viewscreen]: I never experienced that
timeline.

Two different versions of the 29th century in the same episode
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TNG - Hive already has continuity flaw

Luminus wrote: View Post
^No. TV trek NEVER contradicts its future by showing 2 different versions of the same future century. There's only 1 instance of the 29th century. 1 instance of the 31 century. 1 instance of the 26th century and so on. Source: Memory Alpha
I'm not seeing how that particular link backs up your assertion.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
borg, hive, star trek, tng

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.