RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,218
Posts: 5,437,823
Members: 24,953
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Kavanc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 2 2012, 03:43 AM   #271
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
I would love to visit New York, but the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't see enough of it on screen to warrant filming there. And the shots of Central Park did look devoid of life.

Watching the opening again, I'd say theres at most 5 shots which NEEDED to be filmed in New York, and any of the rest could easily have been faked in post, and to be honest probably were.

Doctor Who isn't set in New York every week though, and won't be again thanks to that little line of dialogue about if he went back in the Tardis it'll be blown up. Soo...what was the point? 5 shots of Rory holding coffee walking through a park? Theres a few in London that could easily have doubled for those. I just don't see the money on screen like I'd expect an episode filmed in New York would look like.
Those of us from New York prefer the authenticity, regardless of how much of it could have been faked in the UK. Did you not see the special that came before the show? DW filmed here and the sets got mobbed by american fans. That alone is worth the price of plane tickets and cargo charges, AFAIC.
You're not paying for it though are you, the license fee payer is.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 03:49 AM   #272
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
I would love to visit New York, but the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't see enough of it on screen to warrant filming there. And the shots of Central Park did look devoid of life.

Watching the opening again, I'd say theres at most 5 shots which NEEDED to be filmed in New York, and any of the rest could easily have been faked in post, and to be honest probably were.

Doctor Who isn't set in New York every week though, and won't be again thanks to that little line of dialogue about if he went back in the Tardis it'll be blown up. Soo...what was the point? 5 shots of Rory holding coffee walking through a park? Theres a few in London that could easily have doubled for those. I just don't see the money on screen like I'd expect an episode filmed in New York would look like.
Those of us from New York prefer the authenticity, regardless of how much of it could have been faked in the UK. Did you not see the special that came before the show? DW filmed here and the sets got mobbed by american fans. That alone is worth the price of plane tickets and cargo charges, AFAIC.
You're not paying for it though are you, the license fee payer is.
Actually, if I recall correctly, BBCA is picking up about 50% to most of the budget for the "American" episodes, so, even if you're not getting the episode for free, you're getting a higher budget episode for less, I think

Of course, one could still argue they would've preferred an episode with smaller budget that they paid a higher percentage of in order to keep it on your home soil with CGI.

I wonder if they could do the CGI Central Park Icons + all the Weeping Angels on a budget 100% homegrown?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 03:55 AM   #273
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Where's the souce for that?
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:12 AM   #274
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Where's the souce for that?
BBCA Funding is an assumption, based upon S6, I am not stating it as fact, I am stating it as a question, if it still holds up in S7? Does it? Or did Moffat fund this one by himself, in addition to the Spain Location shooting for A Town Called Mercy? If Moffat's taken all this onto his own budget, I'm rather impressed with how he's stretched the Dollar, as I'm sure DoaS was CGI expensive, in addition to Location shooting in Spain and America, plus all the Daleks in the first episode. Matter of fact, the only episode, I think wouldn't be budget breaking (Unless you have Budget light episodes to steal from) is The Power of 3, as the Cubes were all so similar, they probably were cheaper in volume then they look.

Some may not like the Episodes that were Produced, but, I think they had a High quality of stretching the Budget
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:14 AM   #275
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Doesn't mention the percentage but it does talk about co-producing the series 6 episodes (also Primeval and Being Human).

http://press.bbcamerica.com/press-release.jsp?id=22529
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:22 AM   #276
STR
Captain
 
STR's Avatar
 
Location: Out there. Thatta way.
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Judge Death wrote: View Post
^I thought it was called Freedom Tower as well
They stopped calling it that when NY Gov. Pataki left office. That was his name, and it was steeped in the same kind of half-baked jingoism that brought the world "freedom fries". The building is 1 World Trade Center, as opposed to the complete 7 World Trade and also-under-construction 4 World Trade Center (2 & 3 are stalled due to economy, 5 is in the early planning stages, there is no 6).

And this episode was really awful. Seems they were just itching to get rid of A&R so they could get started on the "real" episodes. They spent the whole episodes talking about plot devices, rather than using said devices to tie up character or story arcs. The plot devices don't even gel with previous appearances of the same plot device, I know this show isn't about 100% continuity (it's part of the fun), but I expect things to be self-adhering in the same episode. Meh. Just...lots of wasted time and potential.
__________________
An egotist is someone more interested in himself than me.

Last edited by STR; October 2 2012 at 04:34 AM.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:33 AM   #277
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

At least the jingoism has its heart in a better place than Freedom Fries which was just a vindictive take that at the French for not backing the invasion as we wanted.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:38 AM   #278
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Did Freedom Fries ever take?
Not really. It was more a punchline for stupid congress than anything else.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 04:39 AM   #279
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
I would love to visit New York, but the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't see enough of it on screen to warrant filming there. And the shots of Central Park did look devoid of life.

Watching the opening again, I'd say theres at most 5 shots which NEEDED to be filmed in New York, and any of the rest could easily have been faked in post, and to be honest probably were.

Doctor Who isn't set in New York every week though, and won't be again thanks to that little line of dialogue about if he went back in the Tardis it'll be blown up. Soo...what was the point? 5 shots of Rory holding coffee walking through a park? Theres a few in London that could easily have doubled for those. I just don't see the money on screen like I'd expect an episode filmed in New York would look like.
Those of us from New York prefer the authenticity, regardless of how much of it could have been faked in the UK. Did you not see the special that came before the show? DW filmed here and the sets got mobbed by american fans. That alone is worth the price of plane tickets and cargo charges, AFAIC.
You're not paying for it though are you, the license fee payer is.
Perhaps you should take it up with the BBC then. They think its a good expenditure of the money. Considering it raises the awareness of their franchise.

Doesn't the BBC get a cut of DVD sales of Doctor Who? Perhaps it's a wise investment of the license fee.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:01 AM   #280
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
EDIT: Just checked in from the other thread. Apparently, that's the new Freedom Tower under construction where the WTC was.

I thought it was easily to spot. I visited it over the summer and the half completed glass on one side has become a trademark of it

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:54 AM   #281
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
At least the jingoism has its heart in a better place than Freedom Fries which was just a vindictive take that at the French for not backing the invasion as we wanted.
Americans should just start calling them "chips" then, like us British who did back it.
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Those of us from New York prefer the authenticity, regardless of how much of it could have been faked in the UK. Did you not see the special that came before the show? DW filmed here and the sets got mobbed by american fans. That alone is worth the price of plane tickets and cargo charges, AFAIC.
You're not paying for it though are you, the license fee payer is.
Perhaps you should take it up with the BBC then. They think its a good expenditure of the money. Considering it raises the awareness of their franchise.

Doesn't the BBC get a cut of DVD sales of Doctor Who? Perhaps it's a wise investment of the license fee.
But the BBC should be making programmes aimed at the audience who pays for it, not for potential audiences elsewhere who don't fund it. If they could have saved money by not going on this vanity trip to New York and achieved the same result then that's what should have been done.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:04 AM   #282
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Americans should just start calling them "chips" then, like us British who did back it.
Yeah, but then we'd have to call our chips crisps and we're just too lazy.


BTW, I think only politicians and political pundits ever called them Freedom Fries, not your average American Joe.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:06 AM   #283
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure regular American citizens just called them Freedom Fries to mock the term "Freedom Fries." Nobody ever actually called them that for real.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:42 AM   #284
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral
 
Jar Jar Binks's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Renaming everyday food items is a time-honored tradition in this country. Anyone want some liberty cabbage?
Jar Jar Binks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:49 AM   #285
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

You're not wrong. French toast was originally "German Toast" before the war.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.