Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 2 2012, 02:38 AM   #91
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Although, I have a sneaky suspision that by the end of this trilogy, the E-E may have a new captain. With some of the talk in other novels about Picard feeling he is in a different place in his life then he thought he would be (husband, father), I can't help but wonder if he'll stay on much longer.
Dare I say it? Captain Data! (so far, TrekLit has not counteracted Countdown)
If Picard retires, he could still be part of the series without being captain. On the other hand, Vulcan isn't the most exciting place in the galaxy...
If Worf becomes captain, Geordi would finally make it back to command track. By the way, why is he a mere Lieutenant Commander on the cover?
If Data returns, he would probably become first officer and a full Commander, the next logical step on his way to E-E captaincy in 2387.
Again this is made on the assumption that David Mack would resurrect a character when he is known to do just the opposite, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Data to come back at least in this trilogy.
Or maybe he'll resurrect a character because he's known to do just the opposite.

I personally don't support resurrecting Data, but don't assume an author will always do the same thing in every book they write.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 03:13 AM   #92
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Or maybe he'll resurrect a character because he's known to do just the opposite.
Doubtful. At most he won't kill someone this time, besides his previous use of death leads me to believe he respects it enough not to contribute to the comic booky invalidation of it a resurrection would bring.

I personally don't support resurrecting Data, but don't assume an author will always do the same thing in every book they write.
True but it still doesn't mean he's going to resurrect anybody, especially since whenever a dead or thought dead character comes back they usually do something that implies this is going to happen and no a cover with Data's dead father NOT HIM doesn't imply he's coming back.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 03:20 AM   #93
Christopher
Writer

^You're expecting the world to be a lot more simplistic and predictable than it usually is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 12:56 PM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't necessarily need Data back, but I'd like to at least see the introduction of another Soong type android. It could be fun to watch the character evolve.
Old October 8 2012, 03:36 PM   #95
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

So the Romulan praetor is getting a sex-change at some point?

Honestly I would perfer if the books ignored Countdown, especially seeing as the movie didn't seemed to line up with it that well.
Old October 8 2012, 08:35 PM   #96
indianatrekker26
Captain

I, myself, miss data quite a bit. He's absence is extremely felt in the TNG post-nemesis books. A side note on Worf; i thought it was established in DS9 that Worf would never be able to command a starship. In the episode "Change of Heart" he chose to save Jadzia's life over completion of the mission. Didn't sisko say he'd make sure Worf could never command a ship? It's been forever since i saw that one, so i'm not sure if i'm remembering accurately.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:07 PM   #97
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
It's been forever since i saw that one, so i'm not sure if i'm remembering accurately.
It's forever since it happened and Worf has had several career changes since then. The Borg also decimated a lot of Starfleet's finest in the interim.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:52 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

A side note on Worf; i thought it was established in DS9 that Worf would never be able to command a starship. In the episode "Change of Heart" he chose to save Jadzia's life over completion of the mission. Didn't sisko say he'd make sure Worf could never command a ship?
No, he didn't. What he said was, "this will go into your service record, and to be completely honest, you probably won't be offered a command on your own after this." He was offering his opinion on how he thought other people were likely to react. It wasn't like the decision was actually his. And he only said "probably."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:55 PM   #99
indianatrekker26
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
A side note on Worf; i thought it was established in DS9 that Worf would never be able to command a starship. In the episode "Change of Heart" he chose to save Jadzia's life over completion of the mission. Didn't sisko say he'd make sure Worf could never command a ship?
No, he didn't. What he said was, "this will go into your service record, and to be completely honest, you probably won't be offered a command on your own after this." He was offering his opinion on how he thought other people were likely to react. It wasn't like the decision was actually his. And he only said "probably."
Ah, ok. Thanks, Christopher. I didn't think i was remembering that right.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 10:04 PM   #100
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
So the Romulan praetor is getting a sex-change at some point?
Well, there are three years to go until Countdown's timeframe, and Praetor of the Romulan Empire is not exactly the sort of job that ensures a healthly lifespan.
Old October 11 2012, 02:49 PM   #101
Markonian
Captain

KingDaniel;70757959
Well, there are three years to go until [I wrote:

Countdown's[/I] timeframe, and Praetor of the Romulan Empire is not exactly the sort of job that ensures a healthly lifespan.
Right. Hiren, Shinzon and Donatra all died (at least in part) due to their office. Maybe Kamemor retires at some point, after a particular nasty Typhon Pact struggle? Who knows.

Three years are plenty of time to revolutionize the universe again.

On a sidenote, I'd rather see Geordi's uniform and combadge from VOY "Timeless" as the next uniform design.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 05:00 AM   #102
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I just thought of something what if David Mack decides to do something major that might freak the fanbase out in a different way, like say something similar to the cliffhanger of Plagues of Night?