Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 13 2012, 09:58 PM   #16
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: I liked DS9 and the Dominion War, would I like Babylon 5?

I tried getting into B5 several times back then, but to me the writing and characters were just never HALF as fun and charming as those on DS9.

Other than maybe G'Kar and Lando, most of the characters seemed painfully dull and generic, which just made it really hard for me to get into the story (great though it might be).

Of course that's just me. Most here seem to love it, so you probably will too.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 11:14 PM   #17
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I'm rewatching TNG right now, and want to try something new after I finish that, before starting my DS9 rewatch.

I've heard a lot about Babylon 5. Is it really similar to DS9 as space station shows? How is the acting and is it as arc heavy as what DS9 became in its later seasons? I keep hearing that B5's first season and last season were really weak, can they be skipped?
IMHO, don't bother. B5 is a plodding, shoddily acted, exercise in continuity masturbation that isn't worth anyone's time. I've tried to watch it more than once and always came to the same conclusion: all the continuity in the world doesn't amount to a cup of spit compared to real, human characters and a plausible sense of spontaneity.

How about branching out? Friday Night Lights is an excellent series that tells a very human story about family dynamics, racism and coming-of-age. It's not particularly long (5 seasons of varying lengths) and features tight writing and a riveting set of characters.

I recently started re-watching the show after debating between it and BSG. So far, I think I made the right choice.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Alex1939
Captain

It was ok. Seasons2-4 give you a pretty good ride, sometimes. Didn't care enough to finish season 5.

Try NuBattlestar Galactica or Firefly first, if you haven't watched either of those.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 01:01 AM   #19
MPH
Rear Admiral

Good show overall but stories that didn't involve the bigger arc where just unwatchable IMO, that had something to do with the sometimes wooden acting and poor dialogue.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:29 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

YES! My B5 series dvd sets from Amazon arrived! I got the complete series for $100 which is pretty cheap considering how expensive the Trek season dvds still are.

Would anyone be interested in me doing reviews for each B5 episode I watch? Or has everyone on this board done that already?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:31 AM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
YES! My B5 series dvd sets arrived! I got the complete series $100 which is pretty cheap considering how expensive the Trek season dvds still are.

Would anyone be interested in me doing reviews for each B5 episode I watch? Or has everyone on this board done that already?
Many have done it, but, we can never have too many "First Time Watch" threads (Unless you express views different from my own )

I vote YES, Absofraggin'lutely

I paid about $80 a Season for my copies about 5 years back

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:38 AM   #22
lurok
Commodore

I like DS9 and tried B5 on recommendation of others but really couldn't stomach more than first few episodes. But I might try again one day when have time and patience.
Old October 2 2012, 12:27 PM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If Bab 5 had as big a fandom as Trek with active forums and stuff I probably wouldn't even be here. It's a wonderful series. I also bought all of it on dvd and I treasure it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 12:46 PM   #24
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If I'd started B5 from the beginning I don't think I would have stuck with it. My advice to the folks having problems with it is to try watching it from season two forward. You can always backtrack if you end up curious about what you missed.

Specifically, I got into B5 because I had friends who were hooked on it and would watch it while I did other things. It wasn't until I saw a Shadow ship on the screen that I got interested. "What the hell is that?" and all.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:50 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Cthulurok wrote: View Post
I like DS9 and tried B5 on recommendation of others but really couldn't stomach more than first few episodes. But I might try again one day when have time and patience.
Sort of like opening a novel and putting it down after the first three pages. Yes, it really should grab you right off, and B5 is a bit weak in that area; but you can't claim to actually know anything about the book when you've seen little more than the setting of the scene.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 02:19 PM   #26
pimp
Commander

Just give B5 a chance. Go through season one as best as you can then enjoy the epic arc story that spans many seasons. I mean if you watch the pilot episode (the gathering) you will then later realise that even this had a significant link to the whole series.

I only envy you right now seen as you will watch B5 for the first time
Old October 2 2012, 06:10 PM   #27
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

babylon 5 has some weaknesses, there is some bad acting, sometimes you can tell it was on a limited budget, and some of the special effects look very dated (it was the first major series to depend on CGI, so you see CGI grow as the seasons go on) but after saying that

the aliens are aliens
the story arc from seasons 2-4 is quite a ride
It has aged better then it should of.
Old October 2 2012, 06:47 PM   #28
Jan
Commodore

pimp wrote: View Post
I only envy you right now seen as you will watch B5 for the first time
I've never been able to decide which was better, watching it as it was broadcast the first time or watching it the second time when it was 'stripped' on TNT and I could watch one per day and see all the foreshadowing better. Either way, I'm with you on the envy field.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:59 PM   #29
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I vote YES, Absofraggin'lutely
What he said.
Old October 2 2012, 11:04 PM   #30
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I love both shows. Thinking back though, I don't know if I would've gotten into either if I had watched from the beginning. Both series I discovered in season 3 when their respective arcs were heating up. It was then - intrigued by the goings on of the mid/later years - that I went back to the beginning.