Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 30 2012, 10:20 AM   #2416
Mage
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Hey guys. I've got myself a new laptop yesterday, and it's capable of playing STO. So, I was thinking about joining the game. But for a noob, with a game that's been released a few years ago, will it all be a bit overwhelming? Or is it easy to get into??
Old September 30 2012, 11:04 AM   #2417
mic of orion
Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
Hey guys. I've got myself a new laptop yesterday, and it's capable of playing STO. So, I was thinking about joining the game. But for a noob, with a game that's been released a few years ago, will it all be a bit overwhelming? Or is it easy to get into??
game is easy once you get familiar with whole sto universe and concept, I played the game year ago and stopped playing, than I got back and now I'm trying to find my way around again.

Anyways I also have a question for you all here. Crafting, for some reason they came with some stupid idea if you want to craft expensive and rare stuff, you need to get some uncommon un-replicatable materials which on exchange cost 95000 credits or on Memory Alpha around 90 000 credits or 1000 Dilithium, which I honestly think its absolute rip-off crafting becomes pointless or too expensive endeavor. I did crafted some of my own gear, (1750 research points), but now it seems to me really pointless to craft anything if only source of uncommon un-replicatable materials is Memory Alpha. Are there any other ways of getting these stuff other than Memory Alpha, the exchange or Qonos? I'm hoping there is, as it would really kill crafting segment of the game, some of XII gear is even more expensive, 31 uncommon un-replicatable materials are needed, Aegis needs only 18. Sick, this is what makes me really angry with developers, also Zen - Dilithium exchange, how does it work, do you offer how many Zen you need and offer the amount of Dilithium and if someone accepts your offer you have a deal?

I have plenty of Dilithium (although I was away so my mark of exploration... and other stuff were converted in to Dilithium but at very poor exchange, I presume 50-100 Dilithium for each mark of exploration/honor... w/e,

I was basically shortchanged by about million dilithium at exchange rate I read on sto wiki. Any chance of getting that, or I just have to accept the current situation as it is.

Also, I'm thinking of getting retrofit defiant for my other character (toon) can i transfer these from my current Tristan toon to my other toon's bank ? Also any ideas what to do with particle traces now that crafting is pointless ?

Benjamin Franklin
Old October 1 2012, 01:07 AM   #2418
Harvey
Admiral

Might want to put those pictures in spoiler code so they don't stretch out the thread.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 1 2012, 09:05 PM   #2419
mic of orion
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Might want to put those pictures in spoiler code so they don't stretch out the thread.
okies, in future I'll bare that in mind, tried to edit but there are no edit buttons.

Benjamin Franklin
Old October 1 2012, 09:43 PM   #2420
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

I'm pretty out of it (obviously), and I was never really good at this part of the game anyways, so I'll ask:

How do I make money? I know there's a bunch of guides on how to get dilithium, and they pretty much all say the same thing, so that's not really my concern. No, I want EC.

I gather the key is getting stuff to sell on the Exchange (recycling equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it). But what do people buy? Just purples, or are greens (or even blues) good too? I'm max level on both my characters, so it's mostly a factor of getting good drops, right?
Old October 1 2012, 09:52 PM   #2421
Harvey
Admiral

mic of orion wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
okies, in future I'll bare that in mind, tried to edit but there are no edit buttons.
No worries.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 1 2012, 10:33 PM   #2422
mic of orion
Commander

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
I'm pretty out of it (obviously), and I was never really good at this part of the game anyways, so I'll ask:

How do I make money? I know there's a bunch of guides on how to get dilithium, and they pretty much all say the same thing, so that's not really my concern. No, I want EC.

I gather the key is getting stuff to sell on the Exchange (recycling equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it). But what do people buy? Just purples, or are greens (or even blues) good too? I'm max level on both my characters, so it's mostly a factor of getting good drops, right?

I can make about 2-3 million per day trading, but it becomes boring after 15-20 min doing that, best way is to sell expensive consoles, when I was lt and lt.cmdr I won like 20-30 games at starbase 24 and all the rare gear I sold for fair price (price that wasn't blatant rip off) that gave me a massive income of around 7-8 million with that i did few other trades, and crafting but this was before nonsense with stupid uncomon materials came about, so you need dilithium for that, now I make loads of dilithium (around 25k per day) but problem is you can only refine like 8k per day, so there's a limit.

U can also do missions, loads of missions and sell consoles and stuff you get as reward, that can make loads of dosh as well, just don't ask for million credits for something that isn't worth more than 10 000.

Best trade is rare stuff, or if you are good at crafting (over 1700 research points) than you can make some Aegis stuff, that sells well, well as long its not a rip off, also bare in mind you are limited to 10 million credits, reason why I decided to buy ship modules which go for 5 million a pop, i have 4 modules now, but not sure if I can expand my bank so I can have more than 10 million credits, (I can't be having 50 ship modules, what if said item price falls, and i lose loads of dosh).

Also try to earn some credits by using your duty officers, I have 56 DOFFs and they are constantly doing missions, and they can earn you some nice income, I make around 50 000 credits from them alone each day.

BTW you can make even more if you have more DOFFs, i presume limit is 100, so you can earn 100 000 per day, theoretically.

Benjamin Franklin
Old October 2 2012, 01:14 AM   #2423
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

^You can pay to remove the EC cap. IIRC it costs 400 Zen.
Old October 2 2012, 02:01 AM   #2424
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Sell Doffs. Even some whites are in high demand and will net you around 100k per doff. Best ones that I know of are Security Officers, Assault Squad officers and Sensor Officers. There may be a few others that get you some money.

You can recruit new doffs at the academy. If you have a lot of alts, you get o many doffs that this will easily net you several million.

Downside, it's incredibly boring.

Or just get a fast ship and try to make 4 rounds of Tour the Universe. That should also get you nearly a million at least.
Old October 2 2012, 02:54 AM   #2425
mic of orion
Commander

Briquettes wrote: View Post
where do I do that? cause i'll do it, its really risky buying ship modules.

Harvey, another way to make easy credits, just do random encounter missions in sector space, you can pile up loads of consoles and stuff that you can sell, I know as a lt even lt.cmdr I made loads of dosh by taking Klingons down in Sirius sector space, one near starbase 24 is my favorite.

U can literally make tons out there, it can be boring doing that all day, but doing it few times a day to make credits isn't bad.

Higher the rank, better the consoles and leftovers.

Benjamin Franklin
Old October 2 2012, 03:30 AM   #2426
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

mic of orion wrote: View Post
Briquettes wrote: View Post
where do I do that? cause i'll do it, its really risky buying ship modules.
It's labeled "energy credit cap increase" in the services section on the Z-store. I just checked and I was wrong: it costs 500 Zen.
Old October 3 2012, 01:37 AM   #2427
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

How do you mess this up?

Also, is it taking anybody else 40+ minutes to get into Earth Spacedock?
Old October 3 2012, 02:41 AM   #2428
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I got into Spacedock just fine, and that was about half an hour ago. It could have been a little server burp. They happen.

As for messing up a talent show, it looks like you had all commons doing the performing, which usually isn't enough to improve the success rate.
Old October 3 2012, 04:06 AM   #2429
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Loading ESD and DS9 has been hellish for me since Season 5 launched. If you're having trouble with ESD, go to starfleet academy first then beam up from there.
Old October 3 2012, 12:26 PM   #2430
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I find it funny, that I NEVER have loading problems with ESD and DS9.
I wonder if there is a hidden queue with a higher priority for golds (even if unintended by Cryptic).
Closed Thread