Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 30 2012, 10:01 PM   #31
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: Considering starting Fringe

I really don't follow the behind the scenes stuff on Fringe all that much so I'm not aware of how much pre-planning went into it or how much they claimed went into it. I do remember that the introduction of the parallel universe was something they had planned ahead of time. Originally it was going to be introduced later on towards the end of season 2 but they moved it up to season one.
Old October 1 2012, 04:46 AM   #32
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
^^^Obviously tastes differ. Personally I like my plots to make as much sense as possible. But if you liked Olivia (instead of Anna Torv,) it would certainly go far to improve the viewing experience.

The OP might observe that the ratings strongly suggest that far more people dislike the arc than like.
I did notice that. However, it appears the ratings have been generally declining from the first season downward so I wasn't sure what to make of it other than the general progressive fatigue that happens with all shows.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 04:48 AM   #33
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

Takeru wrote: View Post
Elemental wrote: View Post
In doing some "research", I had read that the producers had pre-plotted out the major events of the series early on. Is this not the case?
I don't know but I don't believe it for a second.
And it wouldn't be the first time where a producer would try to claim there being greater fore-thought go into plotting than there actually was. That's good to know as another show that this happened to was Prison Break which was remarkable at the beginning but to where things ended up in season 4, you have to ask "how the hell did we ever get here???"

I don't mind a show having some significant growth and change in focus if it is believable and shows a clear progression (i.e. Lost, Babylon 5). But if it seems like something totally out of right-field that appears to have just gradually meandered far from its intended focus, as in Prison Break, that can be a bit disappointing.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 05:00 AM   #34
Dream
Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
Elemental wrote: View Post
In doing some "research", I had read that the producers had pre-plotted out the major events of the series early on. Is this not the case?
I don't know but I don't believe it for a second.
Fringe has been criticized by some for having too many monster of the week episodes that don't move the plot forward.

I believe the original plan from the writers was to introduce all the stuff from the season one finale in season five or something. Obviously, the audience would have lost interest very quickly by then so they had to push the plot forward.
Old October 1 2012, 08:56 PM   #35
JD
Admiral

I haven't read the full interview in the link, but Blastr does have part of an interview with Fringe's showrunner where he discussed how things changed over the course of the series.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 06:19 AM   #36
degra
Fleet Captain

A very mediocre sff show--the characters arent really that compelling(they certainly are no Mulder & Scully), the MOTW standalones are the absolute worse and are recycled and stale and they unfortunately litter the first 3 seasons pretty heavily, the science even for a sff is awful. The mythology is its most compelling aspect the only prolem being that a lot of it goes nowhere and the stuff that actually does comes together in a very ho-hum way. I stopped watching it after season 4 and have no desire to see how it ends.I'm mad at myself for staying with it as long as I did thinking it would all be pulled together in some great satisfying manner.

And for an idea of my tastes I loved TNG, DS9(esp its arcs involving the Dominion War), the Xindi arc on ENT and most of S4, The X-Files S1-5, Heroes S1, Supernatural S1/2/4, BSG S1, VD S1/2. I couldn't stand Heroes S2-4, BSG S2.5-4, Caprica, The Event, Invasion, Surface, The River, Stargate Sg1, SGA, SGU, Buffy, Angel, Hercules, Xena, No Ordinary Family,Flash Forward, Alcatraz, Terra Nova, The Secret Circle, VD S3, True Blood, Game of Thrones
degra is offline   Reply With Quote