RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 462
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Zachary Quinto as the new Mr. Spock?
GREAT Performance!!! I loved it. 29 69.05%
He did okay. So far, so good. 10 23.81%
Mmm, I'm not sure. 1 2.38%
FAIL!!! Who hired that guy??? 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 04:10 AM   #46
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

FarStrider wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Considering how utterly gutted he looked when he thought he'd killed Kirk I think snapping when his whole planet had blown up was expected.
And let's not mention how HAPPY he was when it turned out that Kirk was alive. . .

~FS
"JIM!"
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:15 AM   #47
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

TOS was constantly finding excuses for Spock to beat up Kirk, in "The Naked Time," "This Side of Paradise," "Amok Time" . . . whenever he was emotionally compromised in some way.

I always figured Spock smacking Kirk around the bridge of the new Enterprise was basically a homage to those scenes.

And the original Spock was certainly capable of expressing irritation on occasion. For example: just look how exasperated he gets with all that bureaucratic stonewalling in "Mark of Gideon." Not to mention the way McCoy gets on his nerves in "The Tholian Web."
Old September 30 2012, 04:35 AM   #48
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
TOS was constantly finding excuses for Spock to beat up Kirk, in "The Naked Time," "This Side of Paradise," "Amok Time" . . . whenever he was emotionally compromised in some way.

I always figured Spock smacking Kirk around the bridge of the new Enterprise was basically a homage to those scenes.
IT'S TRADITION!! That's the ticket!

And the original Spock was certainly capable of expressing irritation on occasion. For example: just look how exasperated he gets with all that bureaucratic stonewalling in "Mark of Gideon." Not to mention the way McCoy gets on his nerves in "The Tholian Web."
Seriously, though, you make a very good point. I don't know where some people get the idea that Spock is an emotional automaton, but it certainly isn't from any Star Trek that aired in the real world. . .

~FS
Old September 30 2012, 10:47 AM   #49
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
FarStrider wrote: View Post
As BillJ said, Spock wasn't always the stoic, coldly logical character early in TOS, this Spock HASN'T led the same life as Spock Prime, and we never saw Spock under the emotional pressures he is under in ST09 in TOS. . .so really, you can't say how TOS Spock would react. . .

~FS
Considering how utterly gutted he looked when he thought he'd killed Kirk I think snapping when his whole planet had blown up was expected.
The most telling scene is after the mind meld on Delta Vega. Kirk had tears down his face, and is trying hard to pull himself together. Spock Prime apologizes, saying "emotional transferrence is an effect of the mind meld."
Spock is crying his eyes out over the deaths of the Romulans and the Vulcans, but he's not showing it (although his voice did get thick and teary when he said "Jim, I just lost my planet. I am emotionally compromised.")

Makes you wonder what was going on inside during some TOS episodes...
Old October 1 2012, 08:05 AM   #50
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Indeed.

---------------

So I was poking around the 'nets and I saw this picture. It made me think of Vulcan Driver's Ed:

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 11:50 AM   #51
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post

The most telling scene is after the mind meld on Delta Vega. Kirk had tears down his face, and is trying hard to pull himself together. Spock Prime apologizes, saying "emotional transferrence is an effect of the mind meld."
Spock is crying his eyes out over the deaths of the Romulans and the Vulcans, but he's not showing it (although his voice did get thick and teary when he said "Jim, I just lost my planet. I am emotionally compromised.")

Makes you wonder what was going on inside during some TOS episodes...
Agree. I thought the same thing
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:04 AM   #52
indranee
Vice Admiral

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
^ Indeed.

---------------

So I was poking around the 'nets and I saw this picture. It made me think of Vulcan Driver's Ed:

Haha. love it
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:06 AM   #53
indranee
Vice Admiral

I always thought the K/S ladies (esp in the '70s) seriously got off on those scenes
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 10:41 AM   #54
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

indranee wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
^ Indeed.

---------------

<Snip>

Haha. love it
Thanks.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 11:08 AM   #55
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

indranee wrote: View Post

I always thought the K/S ladies (esp in the '70s) seriously got off on those scenes
They feature in every NuTrek K/S vid.

Here, have a look at my absolute favorite one:

(Even if you don't like K/S this video is very well done and full of beautiful men.)

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote