RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,088
Posts: 5,399,109
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 458
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 30 2012, 10:12 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Another Kirk or Picard doesn't faze me!
This is how I feel. If I make it another thirty or forty years, I imagine I'll see multiple actors play both characters.

We've already had two actors play Kirk and three play Picard or a clone.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:14 PM   #47
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

You know, instead of recasting, they could do something original and create new Trek characters to launch a new show or movie!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:21 PM   #48
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Dream wrote: View Post
You know, instead of recasting, they could do something original and create new Trek characters to launch a new show or movie!
But they'll all just be pale imitations of the characters and situations we've already seen.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:31 PM   #49
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Dream wrote: View Post
You know, instead of recasting, they could do something original and create new Trek characters to launch a new show or movie!
That could work, too. It certainly did for TNG.

But, on the other hand, you don't have to put the old characters out to pasture as long as you can recast and reinvent them . . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 11:48 PM   #50
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Another Kirk or Picard doesn't faze me!
This is how I feel. If I make it another thirty or forty years, I imagine I'll see multiple actors play both characters.

We've already had two actors play Kirk and three play Picard or a clone.
Don't forget James McAvoy's xcellent Xavier in X-Men: First Class. That's pretty much Wheelchair Picard.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 11:53 PM   #51
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I honestly can't think of a single movie or tv franchise that reverted back to a previous continuity after being rebooted.
I think the biggest one that strikes me would be Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. They ignored the third movie completely. But the fourth movie continued from the third despite the TV show. Yeah, Terminator is definitely not as big of a continuity as Trek, but it's at least a decent example. There are other examples in movies where a new direction was forgotten.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
You know, instead of recasting, they could do something original and create new Trek characters to launch a new show or movie!
But they'll all just be pale imitations of the characters and situations we've already seen.
Wouldn't that be the case for recasting too?

Personally, I'd want a new set of characters for TV.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:04 AM   #52
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I honestly can't think of a single movie or tv franchise that reverted back to a previous continuity after being rebooted.
I think the biggest one that strikes me would be Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. They ignored the third movie completely. But the fourth movie continued from the third despite the TV show. Yeah, Terminator is definitely not as big of a continuity as Trek, but it's at least a decent example. There are other examples in movies where a new direction was forgotten.
Hmm. Interesting example. Although I think that's more a case of a franchise spliting off into two separate continuities rather than backtracking, since the TV show and Salvation were developed more or less around the same time.

(I remember being told, when I wrote my Terminator: Salvation novel, to ignore the TV show since that was a separate continuity.)

I'll be curious to see where the Terminator series goes next, especially since rewriting timelines and continuity is pretty much built into the concept's DNA . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:15 AM   #53
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

I'm not sure if this really holds up, but I thought Sarah Connor Chronicles was the same kind of time travel thing as STXI. Terminators from post-T3 (or T4?) travel back to sometime after T2 and make changes sending history down an alternate path. Just like Nero and Spock went back to Jim Kirk's birth and started meddling.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:31 AM   #54
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this really holds up, but I thought Sarah Connor Chronicles was the same kind of time travel thing as STXI. Terminators from post-T3 (or T4?) travel back to sometime after T2 and make changes sending history down an alternate path. Just like Nero and Spock went back to Jim Kirk's birth and started meddling.
Indeed. "Continuity" in the Terminator series is kinda slippery by design, since the whole series is about the future trying to change the past in order to change the future . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 02:16 AM   #55
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Another Kirk or Picard doesn't faze me!
This is how I feel. If I make it another thirty or forty years, I imagine I'll see multiple actors play both characters.

We've already had two actors play Kirk and three play Picard or a clone.
Shouldn't that be "four actors play Kirk"? ( counting baby Kirk and young Kirk in ST09)
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 02:49 AM   #56
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
The abortion that was the movie would never fly as a TV series because you wouldn't have a dedicated fanbase.
Yeah, because Star Trek '09 was a dismal failure that nobody went to see.

BTW, I think the word you were looking for was "abomination," not "abortion." An abortion is the termination of pregnancy by the removal or expulsion from the uterus of a fetus. Using that word as a metaphor for a movie would not make you very popular with the female sex. The next time you bash Abrams's film, you might want to be a bit more careful with your choice of derogatory statements.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
In a real sense, that's how Trek began--with a crew of nobodies. The key with any television series, regardless if it's Trek or not, is creating characters that click with an audience enough that they want to watch them again and again to see what they do or what happens to them next.
I believe Ron Moore said it best when he said that people's attitude should be "Yay, another Star Trek series!," not "Oh God, not another Star Trek series..." My fear is that making a new series with a new cast in the prime universe, but just farther into the future, would just give people reaction #2. Changing the time period is not good enough (but don't take my word for that, just see how good that worked with Enterprise). C.E. Evans is right: the characters are the most important thing, not the setting.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 02:57 AM   #57
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
In a real sense, that's how Trek began--with a crew of nobodies. The key with any television series, regardless if it's Trek or not, is creating characters that click with an audience enough that they want to watch them again and again to see what they do or what happens to them next.
As long as the name "Star Trek" is attached to a project it will be judged by what came before. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are iconic and part of our culture. The characters that followed have never reached that level of renown. I don't know if they ever will.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:01 AM   #58
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
In a real sense, that's how Trek began--with a crew of nobodies. The key with any television series, regardless if it's Trek or not, is creating characters that click with an audience enough that they want to watch them again and again to see what they do or what happens to them next.
As long as the name "Star Trek" is attached to a project it will be judged by what came before. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are iconic and part of our culture. The characters that followed have never reached that level of renown. I don't know if they ever will.
To be fair, I'm sure people said similar things back in the eighties before TNG debuted, and yet people accepted a STAR TREK series without Kirk and the usual gang--for seven successful seasons.

On TV at least, TNG was an unqualified success, even if the TOS crew has a better track record on the big screen.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:09 AM   #59
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
In a real sense, that's how Trek began--with a crew of nobodies. The key with any television series, regardless if it's Trek or not, is creating characters that click with an audience enough that they want to watch them again and again to see what they do or what happens to them next.
As long as the name "Star Trek" is attached to a project it will be judged by what came before. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are iconic and part of our culture. The characters that followed have never reached that level of renown. I don't know if they ever will.
I bet if you asked random people on the street to make a word-association with "Star Trek," most people would automatically say Kirk or Spock (or Enterprise, Klingon, "beam me up, Scotty," etc. of course, but that's not important to this point). Maybe a small few would say Picard, Data, or Worf. I'd bet nobody would say Sisko, Janeway, or Archer.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:36 AM   #60
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I think that's more a case of a franchise spliting off into two separate continuities rather than backtracking
Which could maybe still be the case with Star Trek. Maybe the movies will continue with the alternate universe, and maybe a series would be in the prime universe. It probably wouldn't happen that way if the Bad Robot team controls the TV series though. I think it's too hard to say since a TV series doesn't even seem likely for the next few years. There's a lot of variables.

As for Terminator, well, I think Cameron said it best when he said that the soup had been pissed in.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.