Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 30 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Was Amy's "present" always the future?

Was Amy's "present" always our future? If you watch "The End of Time" the Doctor's last stop before he regenerates is to visit Rose on January 1 2005. He barely makes it into the TARDIS and then essentially takes off. We see him in orbit and then the regeneration. At no point does he seem to travel in time. That means that when he first crashes in Amy's garden it should still be 2005. So it should be 2017 when he catches up with her later. Was this intentional or has her personal timeline been fudged?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Was Amy's "present" always the future?

Amy's wedding took place on the day of broadcast of "The Big Bang" -- June 26, 2010. I think Amy's timeline works like this:

1996: Amelia Pond, aged seven, meets the Doctor
2008: Amy Pond, aged nineteen, remeets the Doctor and fights the Atraxi
2010: Amy Pond, aged twenty-one, remeets the Doctor, travels with him, and marries Rory

Therefore, the TARDIS must travel in time to reach Amelia's backyard.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Amy's wedding took place on the day of broadcast of "The Big Bang" -- June 26, 2010. I think Amy's timeline works like this:

1996: Amelia Pond, aged seven, meets the Doctor
2008: Amy Pond, aged nineteen, remeets the Doctor and fights the Atraxi
2010: Amy Pond, aged twenty-one, remeets the Doctor, travels with him, and marries Rory

Therefore, the TARDIS must travel in time to reach Amelia's backyard.
The problem is that it could not have been 1996 when the Doctor crashes. When the TARDIS is flying over London the Millennium Dome and London Eye are clearly visible. The Eye was completed in 1999 and the Dome in 2000.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The problem is that it could not have been 1996 when the Doctor crashes. When the TARDIS is flying over London the Millennium Dome and London Eye are clearly visible. The Eye was completed in 1999 and the Dome in 2000.
You mean when the Doctor is hanging from the TARDIS? Yes, that took place in the present of "The End of Time, Part Two." But when the TARDIS crash lands it's 1996. There was some time travel in between.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist.

Also, Leadworth's location is stated as being half an hour from Gloucester by car, so seemingly the Doctor would probably have needed a trip in the vortex to get there.
Old October 1 2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Gotham Central wrote: View Post
You mean when the Doctor is hanging from the TARDIS? Yes, that took place in the present of "The End of Time, Part Two." But when the TARDIS crash lands it's 1996. There was some time travel in between.
Yeah, the weight of the evidence is definitely in favor of a 2010 date for Amy's original home time. Remember also that Amy and Rory travel by conventional means to be at the Doctor's death in 2011 in "The Impossible Astronaut." We see both dates on screen multiple times, which I think trumps the implications of the opening of "The Eleventh Hour" (though I agree that that implication is there).
Old October 1 2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Tom
Rear Admiral

He was still in 2005 while flying over London and when back to 1996 and then came out over Amys yard and crashed, we did not see the Tardis so it could have materialized over Amy's yard then went down. Yes, and the wedding in 2010 is on screen canon.
Old October 1 2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Australis
Writer

Here's a thought, very first shot from 'Angels':

I may need an American eye to confirm, is that the Twin Towers?

If so, that's pre 2001.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 02:55 AM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^I don't know what that is, but it's definitely not the WTC. Besides the Doctor stated that they were in 2012.

Here's roughly how Amy's timeline should work:

1996: Meets the Doctor for the first time (14 years prior to her wedding, confirmed to be in 2010)
2008: The whole Atraxi thing (two years before her wedding)
2010: The wedding (confirmed on screen)
2011: The Doctor fakes his death (confirmed on screen) and Amy and Rory stop travelling in the TARDIS (conjecture, assumes it's still the same year).
2013: The Doctor visits the Ponds on Christmas (Amy says it's been two years since they've seen him).
2014: Pond Life (conjecture, it takes place from April to August, though no year is given) and Asylum of the Daleks (also conjecture, assuming not much time has past since Pond Life).
2015: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (Conjecture based on Amy saying it's been ten months since Asylum. Assuming Asylum is August 14, this would June 15).
2015-2016: The Power of Three (Conjecture based on episode being set from July of one unspecified year to July the next).
And then for some reason The Angels Take Manhattan is 2012.

Last edited by The Wormhole; October 1 2012 at 02:10 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 02:59 AM   #10
Racer_X
Commander

No, they are not the Twin Towers. The building on the left is the new One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower that's currently being built. The one on the right is just another skyscraper that's closer to the camera by a mile or so.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Australis wrote: View Post
Here's a thought, very first shot from 'Angels':

I may need an American eye to confirm, is that the Twin Towers?

If so, that's pre 2001.
Nah, you can see the new World Trade Center being built. It's the bluer-looking building.
Old October 1 2012, 03:31 AM   #12
EnderAKH
Captain

I would have to rewatch to confirm, but I could SWEAR that Amy said in Angels Take Manhattan that they were in New York in 2012. If so, either they are not in her "present," or that puts everything else farther back (approx 10 years or so), since at that point she's been travelling with the Doctor for over 10 years.

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

EnderAKH wrote: View Post
I would have to rewatch to confirm, but I could SWEAR that Amy said in Angels Take Manhattan that they were in New York in 2012. If so, either they are not in her "present," or that puts everything else farther back (approx 10 years or so), since at that point she's been travelling with the Doctor for over 10 years.
Sure, she's been traveling with The Doctor for 10 years. But how much of that 10 years has she spent at home? I think she's only got 3 years of "Prime Timeline" investment, but she travels weeks, months and years, in between return visits to home yesterday

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:49 AM   #14
teacock
Admiral

She does say at one point that her friends will be wondering why she and Rory are aging so fast.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 04:04 AM   #15
RoJoHen
Awesome

It does seem a little silly to use a time machine to visit present-day New York.