Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 30 2012, 06:42 PM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
^Why is that? Why doesn't TV fandom translate into following all the add-on products the way it used to?
I'm not sure that was ever the case. I don't recall Spock Must Die hitting the New York Times bestseller list back in the sixties. Ditto all the old Get Smart and Dark Shadows novels I read as a kid . . . .

You're always just talking a small percentage of the viewing audience.

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 30 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Whoever CBS decides on to develop a new Trek series may have no interest whatsoever in keeping either the prime-verse or the Abramsverse, and if they can convince CBS it's the way to go, they'll sign off on it happily enough, IMO.
As a practical matter, the most likely showrunner for a new series is someone like Bob Orci who has a proven ability to milk more money out of the old cash cow that CBS probably thought had dried up before Abrams & co proved otherwise. And it would be downright weird for Orci to decide to ignore continuity he helped create.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:06 PM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Whoever CBS decides on to develop a new Trek series may have no interest whatsoever in keeping either the prime-verse or the Abramsverse, and if they can convince CBS it's the way to go, they'll sign off on it happily enough, IMO.
As a practical matter, the most likely showrunner for a new series is someone like Bob Orci who has a proven ability to milk more money out of the old cash cow that CBS probably thought had dried up before Abrams & co proved otherwise. And it would be downright weird for Orci to decide to ignore continuity he helped create.
But aren't Orci and Kurtzman attached to Fox for the next three years via a development deal they signed?
Old September 30 2012, 07:12 PM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The thing is: "Set firmly in the original continuity!" really isn't a selling point to anybody except to nostalgic fans of a certain age. It's not going to attract new viewers . . . and might even scare them away!

"Geez, do I have to have watched all those old shows just to understand this one?"
Old September 30 2012, 07:15 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
But aren't Orci and Kurtzman attached to Fox for the next three years via a development deal they signed?
Is that an exclusive deal? Orci & Kurtzman were shopping their Sleepy Hollow pilot around to the networks last summer, so I didn't think they were limited like that. And of course they do Hawaii 5-0 for CBS.

I found this story but it was from two years ago. Orci's interview about talking to CBS about Star Trek is from just this past summer.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:59 PM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It depends on when the show comes about. If it's sometime fairly soon--say, about within the next two to five years--the odds are very good it'll be something developed by Orci & Kurtzman (they wouldn't be showrunners, but rather executive producers--those guys have too many projects going on at any given time to be tied down exclusively to just one for any real length of time).

But the longer it takes (due to either CBS dragging their feet, not liking Orci's pitch, or not coming to terms with him, etc.,) the more likely CBS might look at somebody else.
Old September 30 2012, 08:00 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

trekmom wrote: View Post
I love getting the continuing story and reading about my favorite characters. I can't imagine being a fan and NOT wanting to read the new books. But then again, I've always been a reader. I know lots of people don't read just because they don't like to. Weirdos.
I forgot to say before: God bless you!

(And I did I mention that I have new TOS novel coming out in March?)
Old September 30 2012, 08:14 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
^Why is that? Why doesn't TV fandom translate into following all the add-on products the way it used to?
I'd say it's just more that most people simply aren't going to buy a novel and take a few hours to sit down and read it in this day of 200+ cable channel packages and DVRs they basically can watch whatever their niche interest is whenever they want without actually having to put any effort into it.
Old September 30 2012, 09:14 PM   #39
Dream
Admiral

TNG has it best. At the time it aired, it was the only Trek sequel in town so it was extremely easy to get into.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:31 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
TNG has it best. At the time it aired, it was the only Trek sequel in town so it was extremely easy to get into.
Hard to believe that was twenty-five years ago!

I remember watching the first ep while cat-sitting for a friend in Greenwich Village . . . .
Old September 30 2012, 09:32 PM   #41
EmperorTiberius
Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
They can easily "reset" it by setting it in 25 century. Star Trek is not Batman, there is no reason for resetting at all. The abortion that was the movie would never fly as a TV series because you woulnd't have a dedicated fanbase. It would be another run of the mill nonsense sci fi, there would be nothing special about, no magic.
"Nothing special" about bringing back Trek's most famous and beloved characters? I couldn't disagree more.

Characters will always be more important than continuity. That's why all the comic book characters, why all the classics, why Sherlock Holmes etc are reborn time and time again. Because the characters are loved.

Trek has tried and tried, but they never topped Kirk's crew. They are icons. And as we saw with the cancellation of Enterprise and flop of Nemesis, the setting of Trek itself is no longer enough to draw people.

Another generic Trek series further into the future with a crew of nobodies is doomed. A Trek series bringing back the characters everyone loves and updating them, THAT has a chance.

No there is nothing special about it unless you're a fan which is a small portion of the audience. What are you going to do, rejuvenate Shatner or Stewart? Or do you really want a bunch of kids playing them?

Good actors can be found for a new show, just like Stewart and Brooks were. The appeal of Star Trek was strange new worlds and technologies in adition to writing and acting. New generations of kids want to see wonders just like I did when I was a kid, not same old rehashed technologies. Everybody has a laptop now, everybody has a powerful database, everybody can buy a video game and play with phasers, starship combat etc... there's a million "gritty" shows on TV like the nuTrek, that type of stuff is just not interesting. A Trek series like that would flop in 1 season.

What needs to happen is that new, revolutionary technologies need to be invented, new strange stories need to be told, with a new compelling characters that we don't know, but want to know more about, etc etc. That's why I'd set it in the 25th century, have Picard and Sisko come in a cameo aboard new ship as 145 year old admirals or captains.

That said, I'd like movies to feature them, but a new series needs to be totally independent.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:41 PM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

What are you going to do, rejuvenate Shatner or Stewart? Or do you really want a bunch of kids playing them?.
Why not? Classic characters can always be recast.

Worked for Bond, Batman, Tarzan, Zorro . . . .
Old September 30 2012, 09:48 PM   #43
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I've always liked the idea of going back to the Lost Era and picking up a series there, plenty of scope for stories, bridging the gap between TUC and TNG and all the massive changes that went on there. There are also a few ships that could be the focus: Excelsior (the rumoured Sulu series from the 90s), Enterprise-B (repairing the damage that GEN did to Harriman, by making him a competent CO rather than the baffoon he had to be to make Kirk look better), or the Enterprise-C (from the time the ship was launched, she is on a countdown to an honourable death, but before that she would have done the name proud).
Old September 30 2012, 09:48 PM   #44
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

What are you going to do, rejuvenate Shatner or Stewart? Or do you really want a bunch of kids playing them?.
Why not? Classic characters can always be recast . . . .

Because no one can act like Stewart or Shatner no matter how many manerisms they try to replicate. I'd never buy it, just like I didn't nuKirk. It was just alien to me.

PS. Those were all movies, and no continuity movies at that. When you see Picard in almost 200 episodes, it's a bit different from replacing shambolic Cloney with serious actor like Bale. Comic books vs Star Trek is too much like apples and oranges
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:05 PM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Why not? Classic characters can always be recast . . . .

Because no one can act like Stewart or Shatner no matter how many manerisms they try to replicate. I'd never buy it, just like I didn't nuKirk. It was just alien to me.

PS. Those were all movies, and no continuity movies at that. When you see Picard in almost 200 episodes, it's a bit different from replacing shambolic Cloney with serious actor like Bale. Comic books vs Star Trek is too much like apples and oranges
Okay, what about Bond? Suppose somebody had decided decades ago that "no one can act like Connery no matter how many mannerisms they try to replicate." Should they have ditched the character back in the seventies?

Heck, Bela Lugosi was the definitive Dracula for generations, but then Christopher Lee came along, and Frank Langella, and Jack Palance, and Gary Oldman . . .

No actor is irreplaceable. And audiences have proven that they'll accept new actors in classic roles, sometimes over and over and over.

There have been six different SUPERMAN's in my lifetime. Another Kirk or Picard doesn't faze me!

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 30 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote