New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate
Excellent 19 36.54%
Above Average 20 38.46%
Average 11 21.15%
Poor 2 3.85%
Horrible 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 03:13 AM   #16
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if it was intentional or not for JGL to not resemble Young Bruce Willis

Or maybe they wanted him to look like young Joe(Most likely)
When I saw the trailers, I thought that Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked kind of weird, then I read that he went through hours of make-up every day to look like a younger Bruce Willis. In the end, he still didn't look like Bruce Willis.

Saw the movie today. Sure, the logistics of time travel didn't add up but I quite enjoyed the movie none the less. I got more than I was expecting. I saw another of Rian Johnson's movies a few weeks ago, called Brick (also starring Levitt) and I could see some of that movie's style in Looper.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:05 AM   #17
slappy
Commodore

Great movie. I'd love to see a follow-up starring an older version of a character in the movie.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:11 AM   #18
slappy
Commodore

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
Why don't they interrogate the victims to pumped them for future info and get rich?
Because the future mob would know what you did and probably kill you for it.

In the future where time travel is illegal the mob is more worried about being found with dead bodies than with a time machine. Any decent prosecutor and investigator will put two and two together and have them convicted of murder with the time machine as the murder weapon.
How exactly? You can't prove murder. The best you're gonna get them on is kidnapping. Unless you try to go back in time and investigate, which you can't, because it's illegal.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:41 AM   #19
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

slappy wrote: View Post
Why don't they interrogate the victims to pumped them for future info and get rich?
Because the future mob would know what you did and probably kill you for it.
You mean the mob that risks its own existence each and every time it sends someone back in time?

In the future where time travel is illegal the mob is more worried about being found with dead bodies than with a time machine. Any decent prosecutor and investigator will put two and two together and have them convicted of murder with the time machine as the murder weapon.
How exactly? You can't prove murder. The best you're gonna get them on is kidnapping. Unless you try to go back in time and investigate, which you can't, because it's illegal
Yes, because proof can't be garnered from exhumations, news reports, and etc. from all those corpses jaunted into the past through a known if highly illegal means. Not to mention that those hitmen in the past are still commiting murder in their own timeline.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know if they're using magic (err, "some technological means") of disposing of the corpses... but if not, even an unidentified dead guy is still a dead guy.

I'm sure the movie is good, mind you. But that doesn't mean the background events driving the scenario aren't kind of dumb.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:52 AM   #20
chrisspringob
Commodore

Remember the scene where JGL is trying to escape out of his apartment, and starts falling off the fire escape, when the movie suddenly cuts away to showing the "original timeline" for Joe, covering the 30 year timeframe in fastforward?

At that moment, I thought that what the movie was going to do was show the timeline play out over and over several times through the rest of the film, but each time around you'd see how the events from one loop introduce a change into the next loop to make it different, until there's some kind of stable equilibrium or something at the end. (Which I guess would make it sort of like Groundhog Day or something, but played out over 30 years rather than one day.) That would have been a cool concept. Better than the one way actually got in the movie (IMHO).
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:59 AM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Apparently loopers consider it standard procedure, being ordered to kill their future selves...if I was one, I'd freak out knowing what would eventually happen to me. Seems that would be a bit of a downer, knowing that your ultimate destiny is to be murdered...even if you get to live a life of luxury up to that point, you'd still know you're going to die, and the exact circumstances thereof...and who wants that?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 11:48 AM   #22
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I saw it last night and thought it was really good.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:37 PM   #23
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Apparently loopers consider it standard procedure, being ordered to kill their future selves...if I was one, I'd freak out knowing what would eventually happen to me. Seems that would be a bit of a downer, knowing that your ultimate destiny is to be murdered...even if you get to live a life of luxury up to that point, you'd still know you're going to die, and the exact circumstances thereof...and who wants that?
This actually makes some sense to me. While Joe is describing the concept, he does say something like "this job doesn't attract the most forward thinking people." Remember, Loopers seem to live a life of luxury and protection. While Joe was driving his nice car through the poor neighbourhood, someone tried throwing a bottle at him, and that person was instantly swarmed and beaten by a gang that seems to pop up from nowhere.

So, all it takes is a person desperate and down on their luck to have this opportunity thrust at them. Money, women, protection and one day you'll be free to do whatever the hell you want with all these things. Clearly everyone just ignores the fact that they'll someday get killed with the attitude of "everyone dies eventually anyway."
Old September 30 2012, 07:39 PM   #24
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Why wouldn't they just send your ass back to another assassin that doesn't know you?
In standard practice, it wouldn't make a difference, since the guy has his face covered and they're supposed to shoot instantly.
Why does a telekinetic god need to send people back in time to be killed?
He doesn't. The system was set up by the previous mobsters; he just took it over, and is liquidating the loopers because one of them killed his mother.
If murdering people in the future is so hard, why did they shoot the chinese wife?
Bringing in sources not in the movie, the director said that was not intended, and burning the house was a weak attempt to cover their tracks that probably wouldn't work.

I thought it was terrific. Strong characters, intense action, good plotting. The specifics of the time travel are full of things you can question (something the movie acknowledges, and then dismisses; I guess it really comes down to whether you agree with Old Joe that "it doesn't matter"). Really, the only sort of time travel that makes logical sense is a stable loop, which this isn't.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Why doesn't the mob just send their marks 40 billion years into the past or something? No need for loopers or anything.
Old September 30 2012, 11:55 PM   #26
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I didn't read the thread yet but I just saw it. I really liked it for most of the length but I hated the following:

- Having the TK thing play an important part at the end was cheesy. I liked the TK's being a futuristic detail unique to this film and little more.

- My main gripe was the Omen-meets-Xavier child at the end. Once he became important the film started to fall apart.

- Also I don't mind edgy movies, especially sci fi films, I still think it's tasteless to have small children be targets for murder.

- Gordon-Levitt overall sounded and looked more like Willis as it went on, but I still think that he didn't look enough like him. He's not much younger than Willis was in Die Hard, so you can see the problem I had.

- The main problem with that is that Gordon-Levitt is 130 lbs soaking wet, whereas Willis has a stocky brutish frame. Which leads me to...

- Emily Blunt looked stronger physically than Gordon-Levitt any time they were on the screen together. Particularly during the sex scene.. she had muscles and he did not. Also very noticeable in the scene where she is chopping wood and he is standing behind her.. the scene seemed to exist for the sole purpose of accentuating how much stronger she is than he is. His girlfriend earlier in the film also looked stronger. It really threw me off.
Old September 30 2012, 11:55 PM   #27
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Great film. Really like the hard sci-fi and the fact they weren't afraid to make the characters unlikeable. Best film I've seen Bruce Willis (Brue Willis does well when he does sci-fi) in in years although JGL is the one who shines. That creepy was creepy and very good.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:53 AM   #28
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I saw it tonight, to satisfy my own curiosity, and I thought it was pretty decent. I voted average, but for purposes of this movie I'd consider that to be in the B/B+ range. It was nice to see that no one assumes the past can't be changed by too many variables (which is presumably one reason the future criminals don't do more with the technology to change their present), and that immediate changes to a person living in the present are felt by their future loop and become part of the loop's memory. Must be hell for the loop though.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 01:01 AM   #29
stj
Rear Admiral

The plot incorporates paradoxes which means it is impossible. There is no internal coherence, it all comes from the clock in the theater lobby. What happens before, by that clock, causes whatever happens after, by that clock, regardless of what in-universe year the particular events are taking place in. I downgraded the movie one level for this.

However, if you believe that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has developed enough conscience to exercise judgment upon himself, then the movie worked. (incidentally, there is no love story between Emily Blunt and Gordon-Levitt: The character does what he does because he identifies with the kid whose life is repeating his.) Also, the movie completely depends upon accepting the premise that murder isn't just a conflict with a winner and a loser (and whether you care depends upon how much you like the winner or loser,) but depends upon a deep conviction that murder is wrong.
My guess is that this will not be a successful movie in today's climate.
Old October 1 2012, 02:16 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
He doesn't. The system was set up by the previous mobsters; he just took it over, and is liquidating the loopers because one of them killed his mother.
Couple of problems wit that logic:

-The Rainmaker knows a Looper is going to kill his mother so makes sure Loopers are being sent back? This is basically just making sure his mother gets killed. Which would make sense if his goal is to make sure his life unfolds the way it did.

-Since Gordon-Levitt Joe killed Willis Joe in the original timeline, that would mean there must be another Looper who will get sent back and kill Cid's mother, if indeed seeing her get killed by a Looper is what makes him become the Rainmaker.