Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 30 2012, 10:07 AM   #76
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: officers are called 'sir'

MacLeod wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
I like customer service. I don't like fake huge smiles, fake peppy tones, fake expressions of care by strangers. I just want the waiter to show up promptly and not fuck up my order. I do NOT want to be asked "and HOW are YOU today!!" as though I'm watching the Micky Mouse club.
Agreed, it should be upto the customer to initate conversation like "How are you today?"

No I do not want to be greeted as I enter your shop.
Exactly. More than a simple, friendly "Can I help you?" or "Do you need any help?" really isn't required.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:34 PM   #77
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Remember customer service s a interactive process, the more of a (even brief) connection you have with a member of the wait staff, or store clerk, or whoever, the better the service.. These aren't little robots you brush past, people spend a chunk of their life's at work and enjoy brief moment of socializing with the folks that they meet on the job.

Trust me, working sales can be boring.

At the shops, restaurants, clubs and cantinas where I'm a regular, I know the names, marital status, and hobbies of the people who've been there for a while.

As a side effect of this, I've noticed that my drinks come faster, I get better cuts of meat, more time with sales people while picking out clothes. Bartenders use me to try out new experimentally drink concoctions as we talk sports. Sushi chef want me to provide opinions on different foods, while I tell him Japan stories.

When I was a bartender, the people who told me stories got dirtier drinks.

These are the people you meet during the course of your life, it's okay to talk to them.

beamMe, would it kill you to tell a joke?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 08:21 PM   #78
beamMe
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
beamMe, would it kill you to tell a joke?

Let me think of one...

Ah, yes...

Sorry, I must have fainted.
I'm not going to push my luck any further.

beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 11:29 PM   #79
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

beamMe wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
I like customer service. I don't like fake huge smiles, fake peppy tones, fake expressions of care by strangers. I just want the waiter to show up promptly and not fuck up my order. I do NOT want to be asked "and HOW are YOU today!!" as though I'm watching the Micky Mouse club.
Agreed, it should be upto the customer to initate conversation like "How are you today?"

No I do not want to be greeted as I enter your shop.
Exactly. More than a simple, friendly "Can I help you?" or "Do you need any help?" really isn't required.
Agreed.

I try not to be mean to the customers in my store. If they need help, I'll give it. If they ask me a question, I'll answer it. But it is not my place to give small talk.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:18 AM   #80
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

For a while my local supermarket had a new manager and the check out girls would ask everyone, "so what have you been up to today?" and "what have you been doing this weekend?" and EVEN making specific comments on what you might be doing with the groceries you were buying. It was very hard not to say something utterly crass when asked direct questions about what I'd been doing that day.. oh I had some awful things on the tip of my tongue.

The process you describe T'Girl of getting to know people in shops etc.. best happens organically. It is actually stymied by there being a script the shop people have to run through in the guise of friendly customer service.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:27 AM   #81
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Being friendly and greeting the customer is usually a job requirement in most service positions. Your supervisors expect it and will evaluate you on it. It's not really so horrible to be greeted with a hello or how are you and a smile, is it? It's supposed to a way to start a conversation that can help the customer find what they need.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:30 AM   #82
teacake
Admiral

There are many reasons online shopping has conquered the world.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 1 2012, 03:37 AM   #83
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

For a while my local supermarket had a new manager and the check out girls would ask everyone, "so what have you been up to today?" and "what have you been doing this weekend?" and EVEN making specific comments on what you might be doing with the groceries you were buying.
Some of my coworkers talk like that. I fucking hate it. I wish they'd just shut the hell up already. I'd make it a workplace law if I could. "Thou shalt not bullshitteth the customers."
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:38 AM   #84
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There are many reasons online shopping has conquered the world.
For me its convenience. I dread having a problem though. Too many hoops to reach a human being. Even when you do reach one, it can be a bigger problem that when dealing in person.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:43 AM   #85
teacake
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
For a while my local supermarket had a new manager and the check out girls would ask everyone, "so what have you been up to today?" and "what have you been doing this weekend?" and EVEN making specific comments on what you might be doing with the groceries you were buying.
Some of my coworkers talk like that. I fucking hate it. I wish they'd just shut the hell up already. I'd make it a workplace law if I could. "Thou shalt not bullshitteth the customers."
This manager must have been a real piece of work because for a while they ALWAYS chatted you up about what you were buying. "Oh steak for dinner?" "Wow, you must really like broccoli!" "I guess your family will be clean tonight!" (when I was buying a bunch of soap on sale).

I was soooo tempted to buy several boxes of condoms, plonk them on the counter after one of these groceries comments and say "and AFTER dinner you know what I'll be doing!"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 1 2012, 03:47 AM   #86
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
. . I try not to be mean to the customers in my store. If they need help, I'll give it. If they ask me a question, I'll answer it. But it is not my place to give small talk.
Most of the store clerks and other retail workers I've encountered are pleasant and polite. They'll chitchat with customers only if the customer initiates it.

What's silly, though, is when supermarket checkout clerks ask if you need any help carrying your purchases to your car, when all you've bought is a loaf of bread and a roll of toilet paper. I know it's store policy -- it just seems pretty dumb.
Old October 1 2012, 07:57 AM   #87
iguana_tonante
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I think I'm picking up a pattern. You (perhaps as a group) deride actual customer service, then wonder why you don't receive it as a standard?
I think I'm picking up a pattern. You purposefully misinterpret what people say and then reply in the most sneakingly insulting way possible, then end it with a smile so you can pretend you were joking?

Old October 1 2012, 11:45 AM   #88
MacLeod
Admiral

What some people have said anything over and above being polite and offering assitance to a customer, should be initated by the customer. It should be upto the customer to initate small talk, that way they don't feel obliged to do so if a member of staff initates it.

Sure staff get to know the regular customers and what kind of interaction they like.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 02:56 PM   #89
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

horatio83 wrote: View Post
I am Surak wrote: View Post
I can understand that you are not a jingoist as there is nothing much to be proud of in the old BRD.
As a fellow landsmann I feel your pain.
You can only be proud of personal achievements, not of the state of an entity that consists of millions of people. Only nationalists feel pride or pain concerning a nation (hence the term nationalist).
There's nothing wrong with feeling pride about your nation when you are a citizen of a great nation, such as most Western nations and many Eastern ones. Conversely, if you are a member of a bad nation you SHOULD feel shame at the fact.

Oh, and horatio, the only reason keyboard philosophers (You know the type...) are able to sit and badmouth great nations and the militaries that protect them (and sometimes entire ungrateful foreign nations) is because better men (and women) than they were willing to offer their time, effort, and even lives if necessary in their defense.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 03:21 PM   #90
horatio83
Commodore

Lovely anti-intellectualism. Screw the philosopher, hail the soldier.
You ever read Hamlet? Probably not but if you actually have you might have realized that there are two guys left in the ending, the soldier AND the intellectual.
About your jingoist remarks concerning the great USA having protected ungrateful Euroscum from the grips of Stalin, no American soldier died in the process. Nuclear weapon did the job. You really gotta use that thing inside of your skull more instead of ranting about "keyboard philosophers".

Talking about anti-intellectualism, only pathetic creatures who have not achieved anything in their life and nothing to be proud of feel pride concerning the achievements of others, the anonymous social as such, the nation or however you wanna call it.
I admire and abhor many people but pride and shame are personal feelings.