Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 04:58 PM   #196
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

in all honesty I believe that this is one of the misconception that many gays have but the truth is that you cant compare been gay to been black or yellow or white.

When I said the most natural way what I meant is that you need a man and a woman to make babies and more importantly males and female are not the same. They are 2 half of 1 being. Colour is not subject to this but gender is.
Not gay. Been married for nineteen years and been with the same gal for a little over twenty and we have three kids.

Homosexual activity is not a social construct created by man, so I'm not sure what you mean by natural? And do you mean it would be easier to accept gay people if they had an easily identifiable outward appearance? Sounds like someone is afraid of accidentally associating with gay folks...

An actors activities off the screen doesn't affect my enjoyment of their on the screen performances. Shatner's a dick and Quinto's gay, who cares as long as they can act?
Old September 30 2012, 05:28 PM   #197
serenitytrek1
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post

in all honesty I believe that this is one of the misconception that many gays have but the truth is that you cant compare been gay to been black or yellow or white.

When I said the most natural way what I meant is that you need a man and a woman to make babies and more importantly males and female are not the same. They are 2 half of 1 being. Colour is not subject to this but gender is.
Not gay. Been married for nineteen years and been with the same gal for a little over twenty and we have three kids.

Homosexual activity is not a social construct created by man, so I'm not sure what you mean by natural? And do you mean it would be easier to accept gay people if they had an easily identifiable outward appearance? Sounds like someone is afraid of accidentally associating with gay folks...

An actors activities off the screen doesn't affect my enjoyment of their on the screen performances. Shatner's a dick and Quinto's gay, who cares as long as they can act?
I am not scared of associating with anyone all I said is that the most natural way to make babies is a man sleeping with a woman. We have male and female toilets in public places and we we have boys and girls scout we don’t have gays and straight scouts. men are women are physically, socially, psychologically and emotionally different.

Take Spock and Uhura for example no wait this thread is even about them.Spock will never physically hurt uhura if they get into an argument but he can physically hurt kirk. do you want to know why? Uhura is a woman and Kirk is a man.

Spock strangling uhura will be domestic violence but Spock strangling Kirk will be just one of those guy things where they throw out punches.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:45 PM   #198
BillJ
Admiral

I am not scared of associating with anyone all I said is that the most natural way to make babies is a man sleeping with a woman. We have male and female toilets in public places and we we have boys and girls scout we don’t have gays and straight scouts. men are women are physically, socially, psychologically and emotionally different.

Take Spock and Uhura for example no wait this thread is even about them.Spock will never physically hurt uhura if they get into an argument but he can physically hurt kirk. do you want to know why? Uhura is a woman and Kirk is a man.

Spock strangling uhura will be domestic violence but Spock strangling Kirk will be just one of those guy things where they throw out punches.
You're simply trying to hide your dislike of gay people. If you weren't then Quinto being gay would have absolutely no bearing on your feelings about the on screen relationship. I don't think it worked but that has more to do with the way that its written and nothing to do with the sexuality of the people portraying the characters.

In This Side of Paradise, Spock brings up that assaulting a fellow officer is a court martial offense. Kirk then points out that if they're both in the brig no one could build the transmitter. So normally, Kirk and Spock would've both been facing charges but neither pursued them because it would interfere with their ability to solve the crisis.
Old September 30 2012, 06:15 PM   #199
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, I believe that Shatner was married when he filmed "City on the Edge of Forever." Doesn't mean he couldn't pretend to be in love with Joan Collins on-screen.

So why can't Quinto pretend to be in love with Saldana?

I mean, it's not like James Doohan was really Scottish. Or that Walter Koenig was actually from Leningrad.

It's all make-believe, actors playing roles.
Old September 30 2012, 06:28 PM   #200
beamMe
Fleet Captain

all I said is that the most natural way to make babies is a man sleeping with a woman. We have male and female toilets in public places and we we have boys and girls scout we don’t have gays and straight scouts. men are women are physically, socially, psychologically and emotionally different.
What's the argument underneath all this stringing-together of factoids?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 06:28 PM   #201
BillJ
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I mean, it's not like James Doohan was really Scottish. Or that Walter Koenig was actually from Leningrad.

It's all make-believe, actors playing roles.
YOU LIE!!!

Old September 30 2012, 06:33 PM   #202
R. Star
Rear Admiral

You know, if you guys want to discuss the social implications of homosexuality take the argument to TNZ please. Just seems silly to even bring up in a character thread dedicated to two straight characters in the Trek verse.
Old September 30 2012, 06:36 PM   #203
BillJ
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
You know, if you guys want to discuss the social implications of homosexuality take the argument to TNZ please. Just seems silly to even bring up in a character thread dedicated to two straight characters in the Trek verse.
Well, the actors factor into any discussions about characters. So, while I disagree that Quinto's sexuality has any bearing on his ability to play Spock. It shouldn't be out of bounds for discussion.
Old September 30 2012, 06:39 PM   #204
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I am not scared of associating with anyone all I said is that the most natural way to make babies is a man sleeping with a woman. .
But since when were love stories only about making babies?

Plus, as teacake observed earlier, the idea that gay actors can't play straight love interests (or that straight actors can't play gay) pretty much flies in the face of the entire history of, well, acting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that not every actor who has ever played Romeo, Don Juan, or Marc Antony was straight . . . .
Old September 30 2012, 07:04 PM   #205
serenitytrek1
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I am not scared of associating with anyone all I said is that the most natural way to make babies is a man sleeping with a woman. .
But since when were love stories only about making babies?

Plus, as teacake observed earlier, the idea that gay actors can't play straight love interests (or that straight actors can't play gay) pretty much flies in the face of the entire history of, well, acting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that not every actor who has ever played Romeo, Don Juan, or Marc Antony was straight . . . .

no love is not about babies...as some married couples don’t even want to have kids. When I referenced babies and the term natural I was talking about one of the most distinctive differences between gays and straight couples.

And no zachary quinto sexuality should not be factor in his given role..I am so into him as Spock and I will be heart broken if he gets replaced as, Also it will be discrimination and prejudice which every moral person is against.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:23 PM   #206
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

A similar discussion was made back when Zachary came out and I've read way too many silly jokes about Spock being gay just because of that, it isn't even funny.
Straight actors play gay characters all the time and yet no one tells them that they can't do that because they aren't really gay. Why it should be any different for gay actors is beyond me.
If these people wouldn't able to act and pretend to be who they aren't then they wouldn't be called actors.
Have you ever watched How I met your mother?
Neil Patrick Harris is gay in real life but he still plays the character of Barney Stinson convincingly. Barney is a womanizer, it's like the foundation of his character.
Zachary Quinto had already played het characters before. Granted, Sylar was a psychopath but he had some love interests in the show and he played it pretty well.
Sexual orientation aside, it's pretty obvious that both Sylar and Spock are his very opposite but he still played them.

beside, everyone knows that he's bisex for Zoey

.. or really this straight woman would go gay for Zoe. No kidding. I find her that pretty.

jokes aside (not really, I'd really go gay for her) they have chemistry and are cute together on and off screen
but even if they hated each other (it can happen. It happened to more iconic fictional pairs than you can imagine) it still wouldn't matter when they play the fictional characters.
I think that the biggest challenge for Zachary is to play a character that is apparently emotionless.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 07:57 PM   #207
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Yeah, I don't know how the actors' personal sexuality even became a part of this discussion, a discussion about liking the Spock/Uhura characters together (or not), but I think it would be best if we all just focus on the quality of the writing, execution of the writing, and the merits of the performances made by the actors on-screen. That's just me, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 08:29 PM   #208
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I like pictures, so I'll add to some of the nice pictures they've taken together (as friends).

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:29 AM   #209
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

and more importantly males and female are not the same. They are 2 half of 1 being.
This sounds like science fiction. One being? Does it glow?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 12:33 AM   #210
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
and more importantly males and female are not the same. They are 2 half of 1 being.
This sounds like science fiction. One being? Does it glow?
Depends on whether you're talking one male, one female, and one V'ger . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; October 1 2012 at 01:20 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote