Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29 2012, 04:53 PM   #106
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

This was AWESOME. Best interpitation of dredd ever. I love the 2000 ad universe and they did a great job on this movie carl urban was fantastic ten time better than stallone.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 05:04 PM   #107
TemporalFlux
Commodore

It's failing at the box office, but this movie going to have a big following in the years to come. Very well done.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:08 AM   #108
The Wormhole
Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
It's failing at the box office, but this movie going to have a big following in the years to come. Very well done.
That's what it seems like to me. While technically a box office bomb this movie is going to have a huge cult following and live on long after most of this year's movies are forgotten. Hell, this could be the next Firefly/Serenity.

Last edited by The Wormhole; September 30 2012 at 03:31 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:19 AM   #109
Mike Farley
Commodore

It's tanked here in the US, but how's it doing in the UK?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:28 AM   #110
Dream
Admiral

Dredd made $676,000 on its second Friday.

That's a massive 69.5% drop from first Friday.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 06:04 AM   #111
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Saw it again. Just as awesome second run through. The 3D ad push on this killed it. If only this tragedy could kill the 3D-everything movement entirely.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 06:09 AM   #112
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It's too bad that this is doing so poorly here (not surprised that it is)...what Garland had planned for sequels seemed ambitious and grand. I want more already. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:39 AM   #113
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Saw it yesterday and it's safe to say it exceeded expectations. Urban *was* Dredd, no question. He had the tone, attitude and dry humour down pat. Thirlby did a great job and made the role of Anderson her own. Headey was surprisingly understated, yet intensely psychotic as MaMa. Not an easy thing to do without going OTT.

It's a shame it's not doing well at the box office, but not surprising. I think this is one that'll thrive on DVD/BluRay, so it may make it's money back at least. Let's just remember a few other films that tanked at the box office: Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, The Princess Bride, 12 Angry Men, Children of Men, John Carpenter's The Thing and Fight Club to name but a few.
...just saying. The box office take is by no means a reliable indicator of success.

Last edited by Reverend; September 30 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:50 AM   #114
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

I wasn't expecting much from this since --while being familiar with the character and the concept-- I've never read the comics, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. The movie has only the barest of plot and moves almost immediately into the bottled up nearly non-stop action setting that dominates 9/10ths of the film, but it always kept me interested and entertained.

The production design (both the external CGI shots and the extensive indoor practical sets) on both MC1 and Peach Trees was exceptional and really helped with the world building in my mind and just providing a picture of the massiveness of the city and the miserable nature of the existence of most of its people. While I didn't get many of the references hidden in the background from not reading the comics, I appreciate that they put that effort in there for the long-term fans.

Lena Headey and Wood Harris played excellent villains, though that is no surprise given their characters on Game of Thrones and The Wire. The mind battle between Anderson and Kay was particularly interesting and well-rendered. Could have done with a few less depictions of the effects of Slo-Mo, however, as that got old real fast.

Urban did a great job as Dredd, managing to give the character some nuance even despite the monotone growl and half-covered face that is the character's trademark. Thirlby did a good job as Anderson as well, managing to add some warmth and emotionalism to the duo. They had a few good laughs here and there, and always pulled off the action scenes well. The gatling gun sequence and Dredd's response was amazing.

This probably goes without saying but this was a massive improvement over the cheesy Stallone film. I give it a B+.
Old October 3 2012, 10:08 AM   #115
Starkers
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Saw it yesterday and it's safe to say it exceeded expectations. Urban *was* Dredd, no question. He had the tone, attitude and dry humour down pat. Thirlby did a great job and made the role of Anderson her own. Headey was surprisingly understated, yet intensely psychotic as MaMa. Not an easy thing to do without going OTT.

It's a shame it's not doing well at the box office, but not surprising. I think this is one that'll thrive on DVD/BluRay, so it may make it's money back at least. Let's just remember a few other films that tanked at the box office: Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, The Princess Bride, 12 Angry Men, Children of Men, John Carpenter's The Thing and Fight Club to name but a few.
...just saying. The box office take is by no means a reliable indicator of success.
I think you're right, as others have said this is going to be a cult hit once it's released on DVD.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 04:10 PM   #116
DaleC76
Captain

I thought it was extremely well done. A great character and great action sequences. Definitely worth the admission.
Old October 3 2012, 07:33 PM   #117
Beagleman
Captain

Saw it today, just awesome, atmosphere, action, character, all brilliantly done!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 07:43 PM   #118
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

Finally able to catch a 2D screening. It was pretty damn good, and I'm sorry to see it dropping off the show listings at every theatre. I have to hand it to Karl Urban for a performance without ego and never once taking the helmet off.
Old October 3 2012, 08:07 PM   #119
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Looks like I won't get chance to see this a second time at the cinema, so I can't wait for the Blu-ray
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:18 AM   #120
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
If only this tragedy could kill the 3D-everything movement entirely.
I'm not that lucky.