Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 30 2012, 03:09 AM   #1
subatoi
Lieutenant

Why Enterprise and not Yorktown?

Does anybody know the reason for the name change back in the 60s?
subatoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:32 AM   #2
BK613
Captain

Re: Why Enterprise and not Yorktown?

wikipedia + cv-6 + cvn-65
Old September 30 2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Probably the same reason why Robert April ended up being Christopher Pike, Bill Ryker ended up being Will Riker, Beverly Crusher's daughter Leslie ended up being her son Wesley, etc. Early, rough ideas are just first drafts, and creators often think of something better later on and change their minds. We may never know the specific reasons why a creator decided Y worked better than X, but it's not uncommon. Sometimes there isn't a clear reason except that a writer or producer decided they liked the sound of one better than the other.

Although in this case, I would speculate that maybe Roddenberry or Herb Solow decided that "S.S. Yorktown" was too specific to American history, and Enterprise would be more universal. Although I'm not sure that's a good speculation, since they never seemed to have a problem with an American bias otherwise.

Perhaps it was that Enterprise is a name with a more extensive historical pedigree, with more ships bearing the name. Perhaps it was chosen because the USS Enterprise CVN-65, commissioned in 1961, was the first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, so they thought it was fittingly futuristic/pioneering.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Oh, yeah. I'll tinker with the names of planets and characters right up to the final draft sometimes . . . .

Heck, "Dracula" was originally going to be called Count Wampyr, until Stoker stumbled onto a better name in some old history book.

That's just the way it works sometimes.
Old September 30 2012, 04:41 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Because they wanted a name the audience can identify with. Being Yorktown was sunk in world war 2 and Enterprise was the carrier with the greatest combat record in the history of war, it's fairly self-explanatory.
Old September 30 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

OP asked if anybody KNEW. Not speculations. One of my pet peeves about this bbs. Be well.
Old September 30 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

^Well, since nobody does know, the only way to respond with anything other than "no" is with more general speculation and discussion of the process. This is a discussion board, after all, and that's the only way to discuss this particular topic.

Old September 30 2012, 05:34 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

God, memory is a funny thing...

I could've sworn he ended up changing it because he was rescued by the Enterprise after being shot down during a war.

I have no idea where I heard or read that.
Old September 30 2012, 05:40 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I always figured than in addition to its historical context, Enterprise also meant "a bold undertaking" or "a forward venture."
Old September 30 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
OP asked if anybody KNEW. Not speculations. One of my pet peeves about this bbs. Be well.
Well, it would be annoying if people were asserting speculation as fact, but . . . .
Old September 30 2012, 08:16 PM   #11
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Well, it would be annoying if people were asserting speculation as fact, but . . . .
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way, Greg.

But lest I be accused of veering off topic; yes, I believe it was named after the aircraft carrier, plus it's just a more dramatic name all the way around.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 05:29 AM   #12
EmperorTiberius
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I always figured than in addition to its historical context, Enterprise also meant "a bold undertaking" or "a forward venture."
Bingo. Most likely explanation.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

In that case 'No, nobody knows.' Which is technically the correct answer to his question.
Old October 2 2012, 05:59 PM   #14
bbailey861
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
In that case 'No, nobody knows.' Which is technically the correct answer to his question.
Exactly, and with that being the case.....everybody move along....nothing more to see here.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Exactly, and with that being the case.....everybody move along....nothing more to see here.
Why? Even if we don't know the specific reasons, that doesn't mean there isn't a subject here worth discussing. It can be illuminating to talk about how the early stages of a creative process tend to work, how often the names and details we hear are just placeholders or rough ideas. If you aren't interested in that discussion, you're under no obligation to read the thread, but that doesn't mean others can't participate.