Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 02:04 AM   #46
StCoop
Commodore

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

What a pile of shite.

You'd think that just this once Moffat would want to go for substance over style but instead with get his usual pile of crap that makes no sense once you apply two seconds of thought to it.

So you can't go back to New York in 1938? Go to London and send them some plane tickets.

So the Doctor can just dish out regeneration energy to heal people whenever he likes? Aren't there a couple of thousand times in the past fifty years of stories when that might have come in handy?

And I'm not even going to touch the stealth capabilities of the Statue Of Liberty.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:06 AM   #47
StCoop
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Actually, that rock is quite clearly the one in Central Park. In fact, all of the stuff in the park is quite clearly Central Park. The fountain, the area where Rory is taken, the bridge, all of it. It's Central Park.
And could have been shot in Cardiff with the background CGI'd in (like they did in plenty of other shots in the episode.) They only reason they went is Moffat's obsession with appealing to the tiny American audience.
Old September 30 2012, 02:14 AM   #48
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think they went there because it fits the hardboiled detective element. It's also very easy to be atmospheric of other eras in Manhatten. And yes that was instantly recognizable as Central Park.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:17 AM   #49
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

StCoop wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Actually, that rock is quite clearly the one in Central Park. In fact, all of the stuff in the park is quite clearly Central Park. The fountain, the area where Rory is taken, the bridge, all of it. It's Central Park.
And could have been shot in Cardiff with the background CGI'd in (like they did in plenty of other shots in the episode.) They only reason they went is Moffat's obsession with appealing to the tiny American audience.
You might want to reconsider the size of the American audience. Hardly small.
Old September 30 2012, 02:18 AM   #50
StCoop
Commodore

Just out of curiosity, is the Steven Moffat who wrote this episode which claims you can't change fixed points in time related in any way to the Steven Moffat who based an entire previous series on the idea that you can indeed cheat your way into changing a fixed point in time?
Old September 30 2012, 02:19 AM   #51
StCoop
Commodore

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
You might want to reconsider the size of the American audience. Hardly small.
Less than a quarter of the UK audience in a country with over four times the population.

You're right it's not small, it's fucking miniscule.
Old September 30 2012, 02:20 AM   #52
TyberiusDeAngelo
Lieutenant

So Amy has known all along that The Doctor would/did come back for her and that she would/did have adventures with him? The ending kinda threw me.
TyberiusDeAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:22 AM   #53
Australis
Writer

Best ep of the season. What Amy and Rory do for love is just amazing, and the true heart of the story. The leap off the building... WOW. And then the twist. WOW.

Someone said the stories focus too much on the companions. The real core of the whole Who thing is the effect him being in their lives changes them, this was true for classic as well as nyWho.

As to appealing to the "tiny American audience", Who has had a HUGE pop-culture impact, Who references are in the media a lot these days. Why not build on that?

Oh, and they kept going to the graveyard because it was a fixed point in time with their graves,.

Really liked the hardboiled detective element.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:27 AM   #54
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I liked that quite a bit. Only put off slightly by the fact that nobody apparently notices the Statue of Liberty tromping through the streets.

* Damnit, why does it have to take til her final episode for me to actually like Amy?

* And as far as I'm concerned, this was also the best River story yet. I'm glad to finally see her relationship with the Doctor fleshed out.

* I was actually a bit pissed off by Rory and Amy's jump. "Surely they're not going with this cheesy ending are they?" Thankfully no. Of course the "Ah-ha, we're alive again!" moment immediately after was even worse. But I forgave them immediately after for the surprise goodbye immediately after. And yes, it was a bit of a surprise to me. I was still expecting them to ask the Doctor to take them home.

* So in the end, it really wasn't a sad farewell. Amy and Rory had a good life together. Which they've deserved all along.

*And yes, that final shot of Amelia made me tear up a bit.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:28 AM   #55
teacake
Admiral

I need them to film a Who in Melbourne. We have tons of gargoyles on our buildings, they could do another Angel ep. I feel soooooo upappealed to.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 30 2012, 02:31 AM   #56
StCoop
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post
As to appealing to the "tiny American audience", Who has had a HUGE pop-culture impact, Who references are in the media a lot these days. Why not build on that?
Because he's not paid to boost BBC America's ratings. He's paid to make a show for British Licence Fee payers.
Old September 30 2012, 02:33 AM   #57
teacake
Admiral

Maybe I'm imagining this but--I thought everyone liked New York.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 30 2012, 02:52 AM   #58
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

So you can't go back to New York in 1938? Go to London and send them some plane tickets.
Not without destroying New York/the World, as he clearly explained. It's less that he can't go back, it's more than if he does the risk of creating another major paradox is too great, resulting in a massive backlash.

So the Doctor can just dish out regeneration energy to heal people whenever he likes? Aren't there a couple of thousand times in the past fifty years of stories when that might have come in handy?
No, he can't. But just like River gave all of her regenerative energy to a fellow Timelord, he apparently can do much the same. If you're going to be upset about anything, it should be that he has that much fine control over it considering how piss-poor his control has been in the past compared to other Timelords.

That said, it's amazing how collectively and irrationally hate-filled and racist (nationist?) British folks become. It's downright amusing, even.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:00 AM   #59
Australis
Writer

Australis wrote: View Post
Because he's not paid to boost BBC America's ratings. He's paid to make a show for British Licence Fee payers.
I don't get it.

More people watch in the US, more revenue to BBCA
More revenue to BBCA, more revenue to BBC
More revenue for BBC, a better case for booting the series budget rather than cutting it.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:01 AM   #60
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

US viewing just ended:

I'm bawling like a baby. That is all.