Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 29 2012, 04:13 AM   #256
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

The ending with the baseball game on TV was nice, but I thought the rest was pretty boring. Also... the hidden panic room? That's been done in every crime series series ever. I know I should judge it on its own merits... yada yada yada... but the pilot for Sherlock was much better.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:18 PM   #257
Forbin
Admiral

I didn't impress me very much, and my wife outright hated it. Oh well.

I tend to NOT like bringing a classic character into the present and pretending his whole literary history never existed. I.e., for this series to work, it has to be in an alternate-reality 2012 where there was never an Arthur Conan-Doyle series of stories, nor any of the many Holmes movies or TV series. I'm sure that's not a problem for many people, but I have trouble wrapping my brain around it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:45 PM   #258
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post

I tend to NOT like bringing a classic character into the present and pretending his whole literary history never existed. I.e., for this series to work, it has to be in an alternate-reality 2012 where there was never an Arthur Conan-Doyle series of stories, nor any of the many Holmes movies or TV series. I'm sure that's not a problem for many people, but I have trouble wrapping my brain around it.
When its done as well as Sherlock its great. Elementary, not so much.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 04:09 PM   #259
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's no different from, say, a Superman movie being set in a world where Superman hasn't been a defining part of pop culture since 1938. Or having Star Trek be set in a future where there was never a 20th/21st-century franchise called Star Trek. Or having a vampire series wherein vampires have always been killed by sunlight for thousands of years, even though that trope wasn't introduced into vampire fiction until Nosferatu in 1922. Or the various works of Arthurian fiction that situate King Arthur and Camelot in the Middle Ages even though the legends (and their possible historical antecedents) date from nearly a millennium earlier. The one thing that's always going to be missing in any fictional universe is its own history and legacy as a work of fiction.

For me, the part that's hardest to suspend disbelief about is something different. I can buy an alternate world where Conan Doyle's detective fiction was never published. But it's hard to believe that anyone who bore a child in the late 20th century would've named them "Sherlock." It's a pretty weird name. But I suppose it's possible. There have been various historical figures with the last name Sherlock, and a few places with that name (in Australia and Kansas, though, not England). So I guess he could've been named after one of those.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 08:17 PM   #260
CaptainCanada
Admiral

When you look at what people are naming their kids these days, it's hardly that implausible.

I liked it fine. It's a CBS police procedural, but then, Holmes stories fit that quite well (indeed, they defined the type to a great extent).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 08:36 PM   #261
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I would urge you to give the BBC's Sherlock a try. It's fantastic.
Old September 30 2012, 12:53 AM   #262
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I would urge you to give the BBC's Sherlock a try. It's fantastic.
Maybe the literary history of the great 19th century literary detective is for Solar Pons? I doubt they'll think of mentioning August Derlath, though.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:16 AM   #263
Forbin
Admiral

My nephew named his baby daughter "Bristol," after his favorite raceway. I guess he's never seen Benny Hill. This kid ever goes to England in her adult years, she's in for it.

Christopher - yeah, most of those other things don't bother me (much - placing Arthur anywhere but the 6th century is just wrong!). Maybe I just have a been in my bonnet over Holmes. I love the Brett series SO much, it's become the defining Holmes for me.

Oh - Modernized Shakespeare is another thing that bugs me. I recently caught the Ethan Hawke "Hamlet". Didn't like it, nossir. Brannaugh's Hamlet is fairly borderline for me - setting it in 19th century Denmark just made me keep thinking "what about whoever was REALLY in charge there at the time? are we saying they didn't exist?"

I know, I know, sometimes I need to suspend disbelief and let art flow and all that. I usually have no problem. It's just certain things.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:22 AM   #264
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
For me, the part that's hardest to suspend disbelief about is something different. I can buy an alternate world where Conan Doyle's detective fiction was never published. But it's hard to believe that anyone who bore a child in the late 20th century would've named them "Sherlock." It's a pretty weird name. But I suppose it's possible. There have been various historical figures with the last name Sherlock, and a few places with that name (in Australia and Kansas, though, not England). So I guess he could've been named after one of those.
As opposed to James Tiberious Kirk?
Old September 30 2012, 01:29 AM   #265
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Maybe the literary history of the great 19th century literary detective is for Solar Pons? I doubt they'll think of mentioning August Derlath, though.
Solar Pons! Nice.

Or maybe Sexton Blake, who was "the poor man's Sherlock Holmes" in his earliest appearances.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:42 AM   #266
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher - yeah, most of those other things don't bother me (much - placing Arthur anywhere but the 6th century is just wrong!). Maybe I just have a been in my bonnet over Holmes. I love the Brett series SO much, it's become the defining Holmes for me.
Although it's perhaps worth remembering that the Holmes stories weren't period pieces when they were originally written, and that, of course, Basil Rathbone was doing Holmes in the present-day as far back as the forties . . . .
Old September 30 2012, 01:57 AM   #267
Christopher
Writer

Oh - Modernized Shakespeare is another thing that bugs me. I recently caught the Ethan Hawke "Hamlet". Didn't like it, nossir. Brannaugh's Hamlet is fairly borderline for me - setting it in 19th century Denmark just made me keep thinking "what about whoever was REALLY in charge there at the time? are we saying they didn't exist?"
No worse that The West Wing saying Jed Bartlet was president instead of George W. Bush. Or that the US election cycle was 2 years off of what it really is! Countless works of fiction set in the present day have replaced real presidents, monarchs, governors, mayors, etc. with imaginary ones, or replaced real TV networks, corporations, and even cities or countries with imaginary ones.

I can handle alternate-world modernizations of Shakespeare in principle, but some of them work better than others. For instance, the TV version of the recent David Tennant/Patrick Stewart Hamlet didn't quite work for me -- it was set in this Eastern Bloc-like surveillance state with security cameras watching everything, and yet the characters still hid behind arrases when they wanted to spy on someone. It was a distracting incongruity.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Although it's perhaps worth remembering that the Holmes stories weren't period pieces when they were originally written, and that, of course, Basil Rathbone was doing Holmes in the present-day as far back as the forties . . . .
Yup. If anything, I'm surprised we haven't seen modernizations of Holmes more often, given how many other remakes are updated to the present day.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:59 AM   #268
Hyperspace05
Commodore

I thought the pilot was pretty decent, better than expexted. I'll keep watching.

I think it is good that they are taking a different spin on the Holmes/Watson characters in a modern day setting compared to BBC's "Sherlock".
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:55 AM   #269
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I didn't like it. But I didn't hate it either. I think the problem for me is that it was just bland and boring. I literally had no interest in anything that was going on. And I think that's even worse than hating it, because at least that way I have some emotional connection with what's going on.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:15 AM   #270
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Go back a decade before Rathbone, and Arthur Wontner's Holmes films were set contemporaneously in the 1930s as well.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote