RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,131
Posts: 5,401,528
Members: 24,746
Currently online: 551
Newest member: retrodynamic

TrekToday headlines

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Zachary Quinto as the new Mr. Spock?
GREAT Performance!!! I loved it. 29 69.05%
He did okay. So far, so good. 10 23.81%
Mmm, I'm not sure. 1 2.38%
FAIL!!! Who hired that guy??? 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 28 2012, 02:17 AM   #31
Delsaber
Commodore
 
Delsaber's Avatar
 
Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And if there's one character in all fiction that I would say was unrecastable, it's Spock. The only noticeable difference is the voice - Quinto's isn't as deep.
This is my one niggling factor as well. Quinto's great, but he probably won't be on everyone's shortlist for documentary narration any time soon. Maybe that'll improve with age.

I'm that guy who still plays Civilization IV just for Nimoy's voice work.
__________________
• Dr. Del T. Saber DFA, esq.
Delsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 02:24 AM   #32
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Oh but HEY NuSpock is young, he's still going through the 20 year long Vulcan puberty. His voice will get deeper.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 10:47 PM   #33
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Delsaber wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And if there's one character in all fiction that I would say was unrecastable, it's Spock. The only noticeable difference is the voice - Quinto's isn't as deep.
This is my one niggling factor as well. Quinto's great, but he probably won't be on everyone's shortlist for documentary narration any time soon. Maybe that'll improve with age.

I'm that guy who still plays Civilization IV just for Nimoy's voice work.
He's on my short list. I think his voice will get a little bit deeper as he gets older, but for the most part, it is what it is.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 10:56 PM   #34
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

I dunno, it just doesn't feel like the same character from TOS and the movies. Certainly Spock never struck me as an emo who roid rages every time a Yo mama joke gets told as he was portrayed in the movie. The other half of the time he was almost cocky which struck me as uncharacteristic too.

I found have found the Quinto Spock an interesting character in his own rights if he was playing someone else, but as Spock he just seems a watered down version at best.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 11:01 PM   #35
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Leonard Nimoy as Spock Prime was one of the best parts of Star Trek XI. I'd say the torch passing was effective.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 11:10 PM   #36
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 11:18 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

R. Star wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
Well there was a 130 year age gap there. I know 20 year old BillJ and the 40 year old one are two distinct people.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 11:24 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

BillJ wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
Well there was a 130 year age gap there. I know 20 year old BillJ and the 40 year old one are two distinct people.
I just said it illustrated the difference between the two characters to have them both on screen together. ST09 and TOS weren't a 130 years apart in their years set. It would be what? 10 years at best. You can defend the differences between Shatner and Pike's versions of Kirk given the daddy issues growing up(even though dad was so important prime Kirk never once mentioned him), but by all accounts both Spocks should have had the same childhood.

20 year old R. Star and 30 year old R. Star while not exactly the same are still going to have the same core characteristics.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 12:55 AM   #39
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

R. Star wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
And they are not exactly the same, but what they are reacting to is not exactly the same either. One Spock is reacting to the destruction of Vulcan that was caused, in part, by some of his actions, or inactions as it is. Since Nero chased him into the black hole he was pulled into, he literally brought him there to destroy a world in a reality that had nothing to do with what went down in his own. The other Spock is reacting to some crazed villain out of "nowhere" that just comes along and destroys everything, taking his mother along with. He's also reacting to a cheating, insubordinate, purposefully obnoxious and taunting Kirk right after all of that happened. I know that TOS Spock had it together and all, but you really can't say for sure how he would have responded if the tables had been turned. He probably would have lost it a little too, but then Kirk would have been supportive of him and not an ass, so, there might be your difference. All in all, it was for the good, though.

R. Star wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
Well there was a 130 year age gap there. I know 20 year old BillJ and the 40 year old one are two distinct people.
I just said it illustrated the difference between the two characters to have them both on screen together. ST09 and TOS weren't a 130 years apart in their years set. It would be what? 10 years at best. You can defend the differences between Shatner and Pike's versions of Kirk given the daddy issues growing up(even though dad was so important prime Kirk never once mentioned him), but by all accounts both Spocks should have had the same childhood.

20 year old R. Star and 30 year old R. Star while not exactly the same are still going to have the same core characteristics.
Yes, but you are comparing yourself to yourself in the same timeline; that's not the case with this film. Also, I think they do have some of the same core characteristics, but we didn't get to see them as much as I suspect we will because of the series of events were so out of the ordinary. TOS was about meeting strange new worlds, yes, but this movie was about twisting and mixing things into what became a strange new reality for a while. My guess is things will simmer down on that front so that the mission of exploration and possibly encountering threats indigenous to this new reality will take center stage in the next film.

R. Star wrote: View Post
I dunno, it just doesn't feel like the same character from TOS and the movies. Certainly Spock never struck me as an emo who roid rages every time a Yo mama joke gets told as he was portrayed in the movie. The other half of the time he was almost cocky which struck me as uncharacteristic too.

I found have found the Quinto Spock an interesting character in his own rights if he was playing someone else, but as Spock he just seems a watered down version at best.
It wasn't "every time" a "Yo mamma joke" was told, just the 35th time. And even then, you were dealing with a little boy who was being bullied by the Vulcan equivalent of a gang of thugs. Even a Vulcan can only take so much.

I don't think he was cocky, just slightly irritated with Kirk and his methods, which included a blatant disregard for authority and rules. Nimoy's Spock never had to deal with that to my knowledge. From what I can tell, TOS didn't bring up some of these scenarios for a true comparison, FWIW.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:12 AM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

^

First of all NuSpock and Spock Prime by all accounts should have lived nearly the same lives up until Kirk's academy days. There's no reason the Kelvin's destruction is going to effect his childhood and birth on Vulcan at all. Kirk definitely has a different childhood, the whole car theft thing seeming to be a daddy issue, but both Spocks grew up on Vulcan and by all accounts had similar careers until they met Kirk. So the new timeline really shouldn't have effected Spock's core behavior that much.

As I said, I was citing that example of how the two different characters demonstrate emotion as a relevant contrast being the occur 15 minutes apart in the movie. They're not the same situation, but can you honestly picture Nimoy's Spock raging like an emo teen like that? Or that cocky smirk and open irritation? They're not that far moved apart. It took NuKirk all of ten seconds to provoke Spock into attacking him. In TOS McCoy was baiting Spock for the whole series and never got a rise out of him.

As I said, if Quinto's potrayal of a half Vulcan was a different character, he would be interesting and compelling. But by all accounts he just doesn't act like Spock did in TOS. So I'm not really sold on the new character. If you enjoy him, that's your privilege but I really think it just takes something away from the original by pretending to be genuine when it isn't.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:22 AM   #41
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Except Spock is nearly ten years younger in the film than he was in TOS. Remember the smiling, loud Spock from the pilots?

And he was baited by into an emotional response by McCoy in All Our Yesterdays.

Spock evolved as a character as TOS ran, he wasn't the stoic, coldly logical character early on.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:42 AM   #42
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

BillJ wrote: View Post
And he was baited by into an emotional response by McCoy in All Our Yesterdays.
Which is what I think Abrams was going for, as the scenes in which Spock tries to strangle McCoy and Kirk are similar.
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:49 AM   #43
FarStrider
Commander
 
FarStrider's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

R. Star wrote: View Post
^

First of all NuSpock and Spock Prime by all accounts should have lived nearly the same lives up until Kirk's academy days. There's no reason the Kelvin's destruction is going to effect his childhood and birth on Vulcan at all. Kirk definitely has a different childhood, the whole car theft thing seeming to be a daddy issue, but both Spocks grew up on Vulcan and by all accounts had similar careers until they met Kirk. So the new timeline really shouldn't have effected Spock's core behavior that much.
You can't actually say that. NuSpock doesn't have the same career that old Spock had in TOS. Because of the destruction of the Kelvin, the Enterprise itself was built about 15 years later. . . thus, Spock and Pike (and Number One and Colt and Dr. Piper) didn't have 11 years of adventures; so the Spock in the new timeline didn't necessarily have the same influences while he was in the Academy, or afterward. . . for instance, he met Uhura 10 years earlier in the new timeline. . plus, we don't know exactly how the destruction of the Kelvin changed other things in the Federation and Starfleet (politics, diplomacy. . . was there a war/was Sarek not as home as much?), so no one's life in the new universe after that point was exactly the same.

R. Star wrote: View Post
As I said, I was citing that example of how the two different characters demonstrate emotion as a relevant contrast being the occur 15 minutes apart in the movie. They're not the same situation, but can you honestly picture Nimoy's Spock raging like an emo teen like that?
What exactly does "emo" mean? If Nimoy's Spock had been on the ground while his planet died beneath his feet, and his connections to the billions of Vulcans snapped at that same time, plus watching as his mother, who was one second from being saved, almost literally slips from his fingers tips, you don't think he would act "emo" later, when his already fragile grasp on his emotions gets challenged? Especially about his MOTHER -- whom we know from TOS and TAS was the cause of his fights as a boy, and that he loved, but never told? As it is, Nimoy Spock is emotionally compromised because he blames himself for the destruction of Vulcan, but he is not as connected to this tragedy as new Spock is. . . Spock Prime's mother and father are already dead. . .he's not really connected mentally to the people on Vulcan in this new timeline. . . he's 130-something years older than NuSpock, has gone through Kohlinar, has died and been resurrected, has more experience being Vulcan and Human than new Spock. . . of course he is going to react differently.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Or that cocky smirk and open irritation? They're not that far moved apart. It took NuKirk all of ten seconds to provoke Spock into attacking him. In TOS McCoy was baiting Spock for the whole series and never got a rise out of him.
I don't know what Vulcans you were watching, but it sure wasn't the ones in Star Trek. . . almost the entire race was portrayed as arrogant, sure of their superiority, cocky and self-satisfied. . . even TOS Spock wasn't immune to that portrayal at times. It took Kirk "10 seconds" because after everything that happened on that day, Spock is barely hanging on to his control as it is, and Kirk luckily picked to one thing that was shown that Spock would lose his control over, his mother and his feelings for her.

R. Star wrote: View Post
As I said, if Quinto's potrayal of a half Vulcan was a different character, he would be interesting and compelling. But by all accounts he just doesn't act like Spock did in TOS. So I'm not really sold on the new character. If you enjoy him, that's your privilege but I really think it just takes something away from the original by pretending to be genuine when it isn't.
As BillJ said, Spock wasn't always the stoic, coldly logical character early in TOS, this Spock HASN'T led the same life as Spock Prime, and we never saw Spock under the emotional pressures he is under in ST09 in TOS. . .so really, you can't say how TOS Spock would react. . .


~FS
__________________
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. . . "
FarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:52 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

FarStrider wrote: View Post
As BillJ said, Spock wasn't always the stoic, coldly logical character early in TOS, this Spock HASN'T led the same life as Spock Prime, and we never saw Spock under the emotional pressures he is under in ST09 in TOS. . .so really, you can't say how TOS Spock would react. . .


~FS
Considering how utterly gutted he looked when he thought he'd killed Kirk I think snapping when his whole planet had blown up was expected.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:07 AM   #45
FarStrider
Commander
 
FarStrider's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

teacake wrote: View Post
Considering how utterly gutted he looked when he thought he'd killed Kirk I think snapping when his whole planet had blown up was expected.
And let's not mention how HAPPY he was when it turned out that Kirk was alive. . .


~FS
__________________
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. . . "
FarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spock, spock prime, st xi, st09, tos

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.