IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 29 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Mutai Sho-Rin

TOS Revisited - New Revelations

I recently purchased a Panasonic Blu-Ray player so I could watch the new TNG discs. It also included an excellent internet streaming capability including direct Netflix access. Having not seen any TOS for over 40 years, I said "Hark!"

Yesterday, I carefully watched Mantrap and Charlie X and came to some interesting conclusions.

1. Shatner isn't as bad as I remembered, at least not in these two eps.

2. The stories themselves do stand up over time.

3. The Spock/Uhura relationship in the 2009 movie is unmistakably foreshadowed in these eps. Uhura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him. Same story in Charlie X when she sings to him.

4. Kirk's brusqueness with lower rank individuals in these eps foreshadows Picard's initial coldness in Farpoint Station.

Also, Netflix must be using the Blu-Ray discs for their source as the planets are brilliantly displayed, not muddled looking as I remember.

This is going to be fun.

Last edited by Mutai Sho-Rin; September 29 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Mutai Sho-Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS Revisited - New Revelations

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I recently purchased a Panasonic Blu-Ray player so I could watch the new TNG discs. It also included an excellent internet streaming capability including direct Netflix access. Having not seen any TOS for over 40 years, I said "Hark!"

Yesterday, I carefully watched Mantrap and Charlie X and came to some interesting conclusions.

3. The Spock/Ohura relationship in the 2009 movie is unmistakably foreshadowed in these eps. Ohura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him. Same story in Charlie X when she sings to him.

4. Kirk's brusqueness with lower rank individuals in these eps foreshadows Picard's initial coldness in Farpoint Station.

Also, Netflix must be using the Blu-Ray discs for their source as the planets are brilliantly displayed, not muddled looking as I remember.

This is going to be fun.
Uhura.

The episodes on Netflix are the remastered versions.
Old September 29 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
So, no chance for Mutai Sho-Rin to revisit and reevaluate the special effects. Still, if he hasn't seen any TOS in over forty years, it beats nothing.
Old September 29 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
So, no chance for Mutai Sho-Rin to revisit and reevaluate the special effects. Still, if he hasn't seen any TOS in over forty years, it beats nothing.
Depends on if he has just streaming or also has the plan that delivers discs. If its the latter, then he could order the Blu-rays.
Old September 29 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Mutai Sho-Rin

Uhura - noted and fixed.

Streaming only, gave up DVDs and switched to Streaming with this Blu-Ray box.

If these are the re-mastered discs, many of the effects are highly improved from the original airing.
Old September 29 2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Wingsley
Commodore

I can't help but to wonder if streaming will ultimately wind up being the death of both the DVD disc and BluRay disc technologies. I am uncomfortable with that prospect. I strongly suspect the shift away from disc-based player technology will ultimately not be in the general public's best interest.

My DSL connection here isn't ideal for HD movies; I downloaded an HD movie through iTunes a couple weeks ago, and it took half and hour.

Having said all that, I do occasionally visit StarTrek.com and watch their low-res, pre-remastered eps of TOS. I find that, in most cases, even with the "original" FX, TOS is timeless and shines with brilliance. Having said that, I caught most of the TOS-R epsa few years ago before StarTrek.com took them down, and I feel that, at least half of the time, the remastering provided visible improvements to the visuals. One thing I do not like about TOS-R is the new theme music they shoehorned into the opening titles. It's too jarring.
Old September 29 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Uhura - noted and fixed.

Streaming only, gave up DVDs and switched to Streaming with this Blu-Ray box.

If these are the re-mastered discs, many of the effects are highly improved from the original airing.
I've watched a couple of episodes on Netflix.

The difference is quite notable.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:35 AM   #8
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Uhura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him.
My computer isn't new enough for Netflix (I tried and it was slower than molasses on Pluto), so I get my TOS fun doing captions:

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Old September 30 2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Terror Grin
Captain

"So lets go to my cabin and pretend. 'k"

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...47&postcount=9
Old September 30 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

3. The Spock/Uhura relationship in the 2009 movie is unmistakably foreshadowed in these eps. Uhura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him. Same story in Charlie X when she sings to him.

This is going to be fun.
Yeah, the early episodes of TOS are the most interesting in terms of characterization and the evolving concept of what kind of ship Enterprise was as well as what kind of organization it represented. In many ways the attitudes are more recognizably military.

"Charlie X" was based on one of the story premises Roddenberry used as part of his Trek pitch - then titled "The Day Charlie Became God" - and as drafted by Dorothy Fontana is extremely similar to the Twilight Zone version of "It's A Good Life."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

You can see that pitch document ("Star Trek Is...") online. Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
You can see that pitch document ("Star Trek Is...") online. Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.
Outstanding. Thank you. This reads like a work of pure genius.

Some of those episode synopses are clearly recognizable. A few, in particular such as The Radiant One and The Infection, might have been developed into incredible episodes, but as far as I can tell weren't adapted—at least not with the same thrust.
Old October 1 2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Creepy Critter
Admiral

P.S. A couple of things made me laugh at loud. First of all, "ninth quadrant." That goof gets me every time. Second of all, "THE WOMEN."
Old October 1 2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.
That actually sounds more like "Where No Man Has Gone Before." The "Charlie" in the title hints at "Charlie X" but Gary Mitchell could have easily been Charlie Mitchell early on. Notice the premise says nothing about an adolescent, but "a very finite man." Was Sam Peeples working off a Roddenberry story idea? Did he read Gene's series outline and pick a premise that sounded most interesting? Or was WMNHGB totally original and this really is "Charlie X?"

Just putting it out there.