MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Alyson Hannigan
Thumbs Up 82 79.61%
Thumbs Down 10 9.71%
Thumbs Sideways 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29 2012, 12:13 PM   #31
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Alyson Hannigan: Babe of the week #40 (Oct. 2012)

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Never seen Buffy, but I like seeing her on How I Met Your Mother. I'm guessing she got cast there because of her switch to comedic work in the American Pie movies, just like Neil Patrick Harris did because of his turn with Harold & Kumar.
Her role on Buffy was very comedic too. Therefore, I wouldn't consider AP to be a switch in her career.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 02:14 PM   #32
RogerWaters
Fleet Captain

Thumps way up. She is incredibly cute. Such a girl next door vibe.
RogerWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 02:56 PM   #33
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

I've only really seen her in HIMYM (I don't remember much of the American Pie films and I've only seen a couple of Buffy episodes a long time ago), but she's great on that, and she's amazingly cute (and never seems to age, judging by pictures from the 90s). Thumbs up!

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Australis
Writer

No, not for me. Even in the photos where she's trying to tart it up, it's like someone playing dressups. And I can't stand her character Lily - I know an actor is not necessarily their character, but wow, Lily makes that show unmatchable for me: self centred and incredibly manipulative.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:49 PM   #35
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Australis wrote: View Post
And I can't stand her character Lily - I know an actor is not necessarily their character, but wow, Lily makes that show unmatchable for me: self centred and incredibly manipulative.
Having just gotten caught all the way up to the season 8 premiere, I'm curious - what do you base these comments/characterizations on? I've been a fan of the series from the beginning, and I've never seen Lily that way, so I'm curious about how you've come to this assessment.
Old September 29 2012, 09:00 PM   #36
the G-man
Commodore

Right off the top of my head, there was that episode last season where we found out she'd made a bet that Ted and Robin would not end up together and then tried to manipulate Ted into doing the exact wrong things to get her back.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 09:03 PM   #37
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Sometimes you just have to go with the zany nature of the sitcom. The same way Julia Roberts is essentially playing a douchebag in "My Best Friend's Wedding." Ditto, Patrick Dempsey in "Made of Honor."

In all three examples, people are doing things that in real life would be horrible things to do, and nobody would think are funny or endearing. And yet, people love those movies. It's part and parcel for the genre, and How I Met Your Mother is undeniably the rom-com of TV, so it's not surprising to me that it suffers from the same problem.

But to get back to the example you cite from "Not Yet" -- In real life, yes, that would be a pretty horrific thing to do to your friend. And its worth pointing out too that Ted was pretty offended by both of them in that episode having made that bet.

Then again, look at a character like Barney. Almost every episode features him saying or doing something morally reprehensible or at the very least objectionable. Why is it that Lily is so much more deserving of your disdain?
Old September 29 2012, 09:10 PM   #38
the G-man
Commodore

I feel no disdain for her whatsoever.

You responded to another poster who called her manipulative, saying you'd never seen her act that way and asking why someone could think she was. I merely gave an example of something she did that was manipulative and was recognized as such by other characters on the show and, apparently, by you as well.
Old September 29 2012, 09:13 PM   #39
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Ah I see. That's my mistake then for not double-checking who I was replying to - my apologies for that confusion there.
Old September 29 2012, 09:20 PM   #40
the G-man
Commodore

No problem. I had a feeling that might have been the case.

I will say, however, that I could see Lily, Barney and Ted all being incredibly annoying if this were real life and not a sitcom. Probably Robin too (though sexy, beer drinking, cigar smoking, gun toting Canadian uber-babe could conceivably keep me interested for a bit longer). Ultimately, Marshall is really the only main character on the show who truly seems as the type of person one would want to hang out with for any significant amount of time.
Old September 30 2012, 02:40 AM   #41
Australis
Writer

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
And I can't stand her character Lily - I know an actor is not necessarily their character, but wow, Lily makes that show unmatchable for me: self centred and incredibly manipulative.
Having just gotten caught all the way up to the season 8 premiere, I'm curious - what do you base these comments/characterizations on? I've been a fan of the series from the beginning, and I've never seen Lily that way, so I'm curious about how you've come to this assessment.
First thing that comes to mind was an ep in s1 or 2, where Ted lost a girlfriend, didn't know why at first, then found out it was because Lily planted an earring in his bed, because she couldn't see herself spending any time/their mutual old age together. It was nothing to do with her - you love who you love and Lily should just have sucked it up. There was also the ep which featured Amy's Glare of Death, or whatever the hell it was called, where she would glare at people and they'd vanish is a puff of tremble. Yes, I know it was metaphorical, but that she even glares at people just because they don't do as she asks is just, to me, narcissism in the extreme.

There are more, that's the first two I thought of, and I can't be arsed sitting through some eps again to find more.

And I'm not going to start about the hoops she makes Marshall jump through, or I'd never stop.

She's okay as an actress, but that character makes me shudder.

And I know I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine, it is a smart and funny show, but it's an issue I have with Lily.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 10:11 PM   #42
CaptMurdock
Commodore

View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock

Yoda wrote: View Post
Thumbs down. Back in the Buffy/Angel days she was near the bottom of the female cast members for me.

I'm thinking Buffyverse power rankings would be something along this order:
  1. Charisma Carpenter
  2. Sarah Thompson
  3. Eliza Dushku
  4. Sarah Michelle Gellar
  5. Amy Acker
  6. Julie Benz
  7. Stephanie Romanov
  8. Emma Caulfield
  9. Mercedes McNab
  10. Alyson Hannigan
  11. Amber Benson
  12. Elisabeth Röhm

Kind of shocked that she never showed up in the "genre" days though.
Sorry, I have to disagree. My list would go:
  1. Amber Benson
  2. Alyson Hannigan
  3. Charisma Carpenter
  4. Amy Acker
  5. Who The Hell Cares?
Old September 30 2012, 10:39 PM   #43
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

CaptMurdock wrote: View Post
  1. Who The Hell Cares?
  2. They're all beautiful.
FTFY
Old September 30 2012, 11:01 PM   #44
Data Holmes
Admiral

Up
Old October 1 2012, 01:32 AM   #45
Caligula
Vice Admiral

It's not 2003 anymore (I thought she was REALLY hot in American Wedding), but I'll always be a fan of Alyson Hannigan.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote