Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 28 2012, 11:50 PM   #1
cylkoth
Commodore

Cartoon Network Returning Genre Shows Sat AM

Just a heads up...
With the fall season getting underway this week, I thought I'd post this heads up for the DC Nation hour block, which resumes Saturday AM Sept 29th, 10am EST 9am Central.

Green Lantern
season 1 brings episode 14, ''The New Guy'', and Young Justice continues it's second season with ep08 entitled ''Satisfaction''.

And I know Star Wars The Clone Wars has it's own thread, I couldn't help but be dismayed that it's premiere airings have been moved to Sat AM (9:30amEST) starting this week. Is it's Friday prime time slot replacement ''Level Up'' really that big in the ratings? Well, at least it relieves some Friday night recording congestion, with Grimm, Fringe, and Nikita, all clumped together...
And there's yet another iteration of Ben 10, this time ''Omniverse'' which will lead off the 2 hour action block at 9amEST.

The entire block gets an encore on Sunday mornings, at the same times.
Old September 29 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cartoon Network Returning Genre Shows Sat AM

Ben 10: Omniverse actually aired its first two episodes last week, so people coming in this week will be a bit behind. Although I found the opening 2-parter to be a little... lacking. It seemed to set things up without payoff -- like opening with a flashback to preadolescent Ben before cutting forward to present-day Ben, and then never returning to the 11-year-old version or explaining what purpose the flashback served. And as yet there's no explanation for why it's called Omniverse. I'd gotten the impression that it would involve alternate timelines, or at least interaction between Ben at the two different ages, but as yet there's been nothing about that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Not Cartoon Network but TMNT is on Nick Sat morning as well (though it aired Fri night).
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

^Well, the first half of the 2-part premiere aired Friday, but the whole hourlong episode is airing Saturday morning at 11 Eastern (conveniently right after DC Nation ends).

Old September 29 2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Not Cartoon Network but TMNT is on Nick Sat morning as well (though it aired Fri night).
NPR did an entire segment about it Friday morning. Apparently ten years of showing nothing, but Spongebob has caused Nickelodeon's ratings to take a dive. Who would have thought?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 04:08 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^"Nothing but Spongebob?" Aren't you forgetting the greatest animated universe of the past decade, something involving Avatars and the bending of elements?

Old September 29 2012, 05:17 AM   #7
cylkoth
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ben 10: Omniverse actually aired its first two episodes last week, so people coming in this week will be a bit behind. Although I found the opening 2-parter to be a little... lacking. It seemed to set things up without payoff -- like opening with a flashback to preadolescent Ben before cutting forward to present-day Ben, and then never returning to the 11-year-old version or explaining what purpose the flashback served. And as yet there's no explanation for why it's called Omniverse. I'd gotten the impression that it would involve alternate timelines, or at least interaction between Ben at the two different ages, but as yet there's been nothing about that.
Thank you. I wasn't aware that it started up so early. I haven't been watched CN much during the summer, so any promos escaped my attention.
Old September 29 2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Technobuilder
Commodore

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Just a heads up...
With the fall season getting underway this week, I thought I'd post this heads up for the DC Nation hour block, which resumes Saturday AM Sept 29th, 10am EST 9am Central.

Green Lantern
season 1 brings episode 14, ''The New Guy'', and Young Justice continues it's second season with ep08 entitled ''Satisfaction''.
Much appreciated. I've been looking forward to new episodes of Both GL (which I really never expected to like) and YJ (which met and then surpassed what I was already expecting to be a greast show)
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Still bored by Omniverse. Are they just going to open every episode with a flashback to young Ben and never connect it to older Ben? That seems like it's just pandering to nostalgia, and it's a pretty awkward format. And it's getting tiresome that Ben's new Omnitrix never gives him the alien he selects. That gag was severely overused years ago, and now it's the only thing they're doing.

Clone Wars didn't interest me much either. This is the best they can do with Maul and Oppress? Some mucking about with pirates? Although I guess the idea was to set up the thread that the criminal underworld has been running amuck with the Jedi distracted by war, and that feels like it's going to be the focus of the season.

Green Lantern was okay. Diedrich Bader was fun as Guy Gardner, and I'm glad that they've finally started to populate the Earth scenes with a few people. It was ridiculous last season when Hal got sent back to Earth and he and Carol were the only people around. But I guess we still won't be seeing Earth too often, given Hal's new assignment.

Young Justice was excellent. I wish I'd had time to review my DVRed episodes and refresh my memory about the storyline to date, but once I got caught up, it turned out pretty well. It bothers me that Speedy defaulted so readily to attempted murder; I would've hoped Ollie would've raised him better than that. And he was appeased somewhat too easily in the wake of that. But it was cool to see a Greg Weisman-written Lex Luthor basically channeling Gargoyles's David Xanatos, and at one point directly quoting him: "Revenge is a sucker's game."

Old September 29 2012, 05:02 PM   #10
cylkoth
Commodore

^Re:Ominverse. This was my first sampling, and I agree-the flashback was pointless (and already tiring). So, we see him encounter an alien during his younger escapades that shows up in the present day. It didn't really add anything that the present day storyline couldn't have shown.

Clone Wars-The Bros never held my interest in the first place, so having the premiere focused on them made this a bit of a downer for me. I was hoping they'd both be crushed and we wouldn't have to deal with them again. No such luck. And more insane power levels on display. Instead of force pushing a starship over, why not just 'fly' yourself off at high speed to your shuttle-two people weigh less than a Jedi ship! He most likely felt the need for a barricade against the pirate's weapons fire, but the continuing issues of just how powerful a force user can be when the script demands a cool visual is getting annoying.

Green Lantern-I was a bit confused on how long Guy's been a Lantern. Wouldn't Carol have known about another GL flying around, and mentioned it to Hal? Since the Guardians were so enamored with Guy, that suggests he's been a GL for a pretty significant period while Jordan was away.
Old September 29 2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Green Lantern-I was a bit confused on how long Guy's been a Lantern. Wouldn't Carol have known about another GL flying around, and mentioned it to Hal? Since the Guardians were so enamored with Guy, that suggests he's been a GL for a pretty significant period while Jordan was away.
Carol didn't have a lot of time to talk to Hal before he got called away, and they had more urgent personal matters to talk about. Basically it was just "Hi, honey, I'm back from saving the universe!" "I missed you, but you're fired. What if you're gone longer next time?" "I won't be, but -- oops, crane disaster, gotta go, we'll have dinner!" Where are you gonna fit "Oh, by the way, there's another Green Lantern who took your job" in the middle of that conversation?

Old September 29 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I never thought I would see Otis again, lol. Nice shout out to Superman: The Movie.
Old September 29 2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

I could've done without the Otis reference. Clearly this Otis is immensely more competent than his namesake, but still, just the reminder is irritating.

Old September 29 2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ah, I thought the Otis reference was cute and harmless.

It struck me watching Young Justice that it does drama better than many shows seen as more mature due to not being a cartoon.

Wonder how many failsafes Luthor has put into that arm? Doubt you could fire it at him. Those Mercy guns aren't anything to sneeze at.

They really dig the female squad, don't they? Gotta say I don't mind.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

What surprised me was when Mercy bled, and made sounds of pain. I figured she was a full-on android, but apparently she's a cyborg. Which is kind of horrifying if you think about it, given how robotic she usually is. Just how voluntary was this transformation? How much of the original person is left, both physically and otherwise?