Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 23 2012, 08:10 PM   #2401
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

matthunter wrote: View Post
A fleet version of the subtranswarp engines would be lovely.
Yeah, but thats only costs 5 EDCs which really isn't that hard to get.
Old September 23 2012, 09:21 PM   #2402
matthunter
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
matthunter wrote: View Post
A fleet version of the subtranswarp engines would be lovely.
Yeah, but thats only costs 5 EDCs which really isn't that hard to get.
Dunno, never done the PvE missions outside the storyline. I may chance it now in the fleet and if someone can take the time to lay out a dos and don'ts for me, plus is patient if I make mistakes.

I also do firmly believe there should be routes to things that don't involve multiplayer. Some people don't enjoy it, others are no good at it.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
Old September 28 2012, 02:31 PM   #2403
Scout101
Admiral

Ugh, annoyed at myself. Talked myself into opening a couple Temporal lockboxes, thinking that the trend from the Tholian set was to at least give better rewards, right? Well, opened 4 of them, and got:

-about 15 Lobi crystals total
-3 duty officer packs. Not special ones, but common whites. 2 were regular recruitment packs, 1 was the GQ pack, but all had whites, with one green per pack.
-Some bonus fleet credit chit. Means I earn more during a fleet event, I guess.

Underwhelming, at best. Thought the trend was to try and justify these better by trying to make the rewards worth the supposed money? Cost of 4 keys /= what I got, not even close. Hell, all of the items I could put on the exchange wouldn't buy a single key, so value wasn't there.

Done with lockboxes until I'm tempted by the next one, I guess. I just had a ton of Zen sitting there, figured what the hell. Should have just upped my bank slots or something instead...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old September 28 2012, 03:21 PM   #2404
mic of orion
Commander

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Ugh, annoyed at myself. Talked myself into opening a couple Temporal lockboxes, thinking that the trend from the Tholian set was to at least give better rewards, right? Well, opened 4 of them, and got:

-about 15 Lobi crystals total
-3 duty officer packs. Not special ones, but common whites. 2 were regular recruitment packs, 1 was the GQ pack, but all had whites, with one green per pack.
-Some bonus fleet credit chit. Means I earn more during a fleet event, I guess.

Underwhelming, at best. Thought the trend was to try and justify these better by trying to make the rewards worth the supposed money? Cost of 4 keys /= what I got, not even close. Hell, all of the items I could put on the exchange wouldn't buy a single key, so value wasn't there.

Done with lockboxes until I'm tempted by the next one, I guess. I just had a ton of Zen sitting there, figured what the hell. Should have just upped my bank slots or something instead...

Don't be, its a marketing gimmick and way for Company to rip off star trek gamers.

There won't be anything in these lock boxes and even if you by some miracle coincidence you find some purple item (very rare) it'll be worthless due to exchange price.

Every time I come across one of these boxes i post them on the exchange for cheapest possible price, if some schmuck wants to open these be my guest, I personally recommend against it.

Benjamin Franklin
Old September 28 2012, 03:39 PM   #2405
Scout101
Admiral

I usually just throw them away, but I hadn't done anything with Zen in a while, and was up to like 7k worth, so figured I'd try a couple just for shits and grins. Like i said, they claimed they were making more of an effort to not have completely useless stuff in there with the Tholian pack, so took a shot. They got me, i guess. Didn't spend any real money on it, just the stipend for the month.

back to just burning them...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old September 28 2012, 04:36 PM   #2406
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

That's why I exclusively use EC to buy the keys from the
exchange.
Ask yourself if the fun of the gamble is worth 1.5Million for you or not.
Since I don't really need to buy anything else and EC is easy to come by why not.

My results so far from (I didn't count) but maybe a dozen lockboxes: 2-3 special consoles, about 150 lobi, some junk items and my grand price a Tholian Orb Weaver which I plan to place strategically on the exchange when they get more rare.

Not a single realy cent spent.
Old September 28 2012, 07:36 PM   #2407
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Of what use is a temoral science vessel that was being given away?
Old September 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #2408
mic of orion
Commander

Anyways,

Started a new character on STO, new learning process for me cause I missed nearly a year of gaming.

Result :

Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by mic of orion; September 29 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old September 29 2012, 12:00 AM   #2409
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

It's been a while since I've played the game, and I'm still having trouble adjusting back. So a few questions:

1)How are you getting the interface in your screenshots? When I take them, I don't get it, just the ships/whatever. Which can be really cool, but not terribly helpful if I...need help.

2)There were Tholian-themed missions recently, right? I stopped playing just after the 2600 event, and got back into it a few days ago (been watching DS9, got me in the mood for more STO), but I kept hearing stuff about it on my Facebook feed. I can't find any Tholian missions, though. I can see all the other episodes - for some reason the True Way campaign was bugged for me back then, and I couldn't start it, but the 2600 missions show up there. Did I miss the Tholian missions entirely, or where are they, or were there no Tholian missions to start with?
Old September 29 2012, 03:32 AM   #2410
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

1) To get the interface, type this in the chat bar (without quotes):

"/screenshot_ui_jpg"

You'll find them in your screenshots folder, interface included.

2) That's because the Tholian missions aren't FEs like the previous missions were. You can see all the Tholian Incursion missions here: http://www.stowiki.org/Tholian_Incursion

I hope that helps!
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old September 29 2012, 04:08 PM   #2411
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
That's why I exclusively use EC to buy the keys from the
exchange.
Wait if your going to use EC in this at the prices the keys are why not just flat out buy the big prizes instead?
Old September 29 2012, 04:57 PM   #2412
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Because I never have the patience to save up 100 mil... but it's easy to get 1.5 million for one key...

And so far there is none of the big prizes I'd really like to have...

I just do it for the giggles.
Old September 29 2012, 07:28 PM   #2413
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Because I never have the patience to save up 100 mil... but it's easy to get 1.5 million for one key...
True

And so far there is none of the big prizes I'd really like to have...
I noticed that.

I just do it for the giggles.
Well plus you can probably build up lobi that way since their not getting rid of any of the stuff in the store now.
Old September 29 2012, 11:56 PM   #2414
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post

"/screenshot_ui_jpg"

2) That's because the Tholian missions aren't FEs like the previous missions were. You can see all the Tholian Incursion missions here: http://www.stowiki.org/Tholian_Incursion

I hope that helps!
That was very helpful. Kinda lame how the Tholian stuff is ground missions though.
Old September 30 2012, 12:36 AM   #2415
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

"/screenshot_ui_jpg"

I hope that helps!
That was very helpful. Kinda lame how the Tholian stuff is ground missions though.
Glad I could help! I also agree that the missions are a bit crappy, in that they're just ground missions. I love space missions. I prefer them, since space combat is much more polished than ground combat.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Closed Thread