Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 21 2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Re: Glee - Season Four

I watched the Brittany 2.0 episode last light and thought it was okay. That's high praise from me since I generally loathe the theme episodes.

The good: I love Marley so far. I take back dismissing her as simply the new Rachel. I hope they keep her character down to earth as well. As farcical as Glee can get at times, it would be great to have someone play the perpetual straight man. Also, it's good to see Brittany finally realize that flunking senior year will have some major negative consequences.

The bad: Brittany's downfall being an act seriously undercut the emotional weight of the story. Wade/Unique. I'm not sold on the character and would have liked it if her part in this episode had been given to one of the established glee club girls like Tina or Sugar.

The Meh: Something big needs to happen in New York because I'm having a real hard time giving a crap.
Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:58 PM   #17
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

It was okay. Some theme episodes work, some don't. I think they probably should have left it to the one Britney episode. It was nice to see Puck and Santana briefly.

Not really sold on the Jake character at all.

Rachel looked REALLY sexy when she was doing her tango.

I'm wondering what the thrust of the New York storyline will be. In Glee club there have always been the milestones of sectionals, regionals and nationals. But in New York it's just basically a day in the life of Rachel. I hope they introduce some of her classmates, maybe contrast the togetherness of Glee club with the competitiveness of NYADA.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 02:39 AM   #18
propita
Rear Admiral

The stuff I've heard about the whole Kurt storyline sounds a bit like "Jane by Design," which was really pretty good. Of course, it got cancelled.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 06:41 AM   #19
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Well, last night there was nothing better on, and I got curious and watched the Season premiere of Glee. I actually liked the Season Premiere and watched the Britney episode tonight so I guess I'm back in the fold. I'll probably be watching the show On Demand for the most part (Even though with the NHL Lockout, I guess I don't have to worry about the Sharks always playing Thursday Night) but some thoughts on both episodes.

The New Rachael

If there is one thing Glee knows how to do it's starting and ending seasons. I really liked this episode, kind of reintroducing the cast and the new storylines and characters. I wasn't bothered by the flipping back and forth between McKinley and New York and I do think this might be a good way to keep the season moving. I hope Marley, Jake, and the new characters are interesting this season, but I have some concerns in that they are almost duplicating storylines from before. Brody is the new Finn, Marley is the new Rachael, Jake is Puck from Season 1 and the cycle is starting all over again. Still, I think the reason I liked it was because things were moving and there is potential there.

Britney 2.0

Well, all the good will from the previous episode almost disappeared with this one because I can understand why Britney Spears was upset over this one. It isn't cool that Britney Spears was used to show her downfall and rise and remind people of that again. Actually I thought this episode was terrible in every ways, and hopefully they don't use Britney Spears again.

Despite that, some overall thoughts on the show.

-I don't want to sound like a hypocrite by saying I'm not watching season 4 and then getting curious and watching the first two episodes. I'm probably going to continue it mainly because the first episode got me curious again. Is this the same Glee we've gotten the last two seasons, or are we breathing some fresh life into it. Based on the first episode, the latter seems to be true. Based on the second, it's more of the same, but I'm willing to stay with it and see if it's the first episode quality we're getting or "more of the same".

-One thing I do not like already is the new characters are already starting to pair off and I wish that wasn't the case. I want to see Jake be Jake and let the character develop organically without a love interest. I like that Marley is this girl who is protective of her mother and I don't want to see Marley be Rachael. I want to see these characters develop.

-As for the older characters, I'm a little glad Tina got more than just a few lines in both episodes, but I'm worried that promise we got in last season's "Props" (I think that's the episode) won't come to fruition. I hope the writers actually develop everyone but I doubt it going forward. That's unfortunate.

-As for the songs, I think the two best songs so far have been "New York State of Mind" and "Oops...I did it again". Call me Maybe, or the inevitable "yes this is the summer song and Glee has to get it out of the way", wasn't bad and was kind of fun.

Overall, I don't know if I'm making a mistake watching season 4. Maybe I want to hope the show gets good or this is what we're going to get. Maybe this is the final season and I just want to know I've watched the entire series and got through it. Hopefully at the end of the season I can look back and say it was worth sticking around.
Old September 24 2012, 02:51 PM   #20
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Others may already know about this, but we now know why Jean Sylvester was written out of the series.

Robin Trocki, who played Jean, has advanced Alzheimer's. Sue's baby is named Robin in her honor.

They did a sort-of family reunion, where Robin met the baby (who also has Downs), who plays her neice on the show. She can barely remember being on the show at this point.
Old September 24 2012, 03:05 PM   #21
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Oh, no, I hadn't heard that. That's incredibly sad.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:12 PM   #22
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

That's very sad

Old September 24 2012, 04:24 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I stopped watching the show in season 2 when the characters never changed.

The show still sucks. All the new characters are just copies of old ones, it's completely unoriginal and just too stupid for me.

The problem with Kurt is he's a jackass, and then bitches people treat him badly because he's gay. He did sometimes get treated badly because he's gay, but it was mainly because he was a jackass.
Old September 28 2012, 06:09 AM   #24
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Didn't like any of the songs in "Makeover". But it was almost made up for by that very nice little touch during the dinner scene with Rachel and "not"-Phinn. They played "Moon River" in the background during the scene, presumably in honor of Andy Williams. Very sweet.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I didn't like the songs that much, but I loved the New York scenes, the show really has to drop the McKinley setting next season, the only characters left there that I care about are Sam and Blaine and if they bring in more new characters the scenes will suffer from the same problem they had before, too many characters fighting for screentime. Having just Rachel and Kurt plus a few supporting characters in New York works so much better.

I loved Sarah Jessica Parker on the show, but I hope Kurt has a crap idea next week and she tells him, I don't want him to become the Vogue.com wunderkind and her his #1 fan swooning over his genius.

Don't care for the potential Finn/Rachel drama, I hope the next episode starts with Rachel telling him "You left me, I'm dating, deal with it" or with Finn saying "Hi Rachel, where's Kurt, I wanted to surprise him ... are you Rachel's new boyfriend, nice to meet you!"
Anything but more of the same old angsty relationship crap
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 10:07 AM   #26
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I probably won't watch this season because of last season. That was the season I gave the show to get better or bust.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 10:34 AM   #27
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I probably won't watch this season because of last season. That was the season I gave the show to get better or bust.
You should reconsider, because I think the show has improved and is better than it has been in a long time. Even the McKinley scenes that I'm not too fond of are much better than last year, that they lost so many characters really helps.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 05:45 PM   #28
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post

Don't care for the potential Finn/Rachel drama, I hope the next episode starts with Rachel telling him "You left me, I'm dating, deal with it" or with Finn saying "Hi Rachel, where's Kurt, I wanted to surprise him ... are you Rachel's new boyfriend, nice to meet you!"
Anything but more of the same old angsty relationship crap
It was always going to happen though. I imagine Rachel/Finn and Kurt/Blaine will break up soon, maybe Brittany/Santana too because they're pushing Brit and Sam together.

I agree with your other points, I did roll my eyes a bit about how Kurt just makes it into Vogue with no trouble.

Once again a week without Tina...

I kinda like the idea of Will going away, it depends on who they get to replace him though. I guess that'll push his wedding to the back end of the season, if it doesn't get renewed in would make a good finale, especially if they got the old regulars to appear.

Old September 28 2012, 06:35 PM   #29
trekmom
Ensign

I embrace the campy-cheesyness that is Glee. Observations:

LOVE Brody (not-Finn). I'm pretty sure I'm having recurring dreams about him.
Rachel now looks like Lea Michele does whenever she's not playing Rachel.

Love Sue. Love Butt-Chin. I rewound the DVR a few times to catch the Butt-Chin remarks. Love that Sue wrote the recommendation for Will and completely lied and exaggerated on it.

Loved Brittney snuggling up to Sam. Don't love how they turned Sam into an idiot (kinda).

Miss Santana's snarkiness.

Why is Sugar around again? All she does is clap in the background. What's the point?

Need more Emma and Will. Don't like the "bored Will" story line. Emma needs to get pregnant so Will can be happy with the Glee Club the way it is and give up the boredom. If they have a kid, he can focus on that.
trekmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 01:19 AM   #30
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Well, i'm eating my words and have broken my vow to be done with the show.. i caught up with the three episodes (basically because a good friend of mine who i fixed u with Glee back in season 1 told me it was actually quite good again).

It is good.. well, not brilliant like season 1 but a definite improvement over season 3. I like that they are using "older" songs a bit more and not rely exclusively on charts music (something i loved in seasons 1 + 2) and i like the new additions to the cast (finally some guys on the show who can actually sing.. Finn/Cory Monteith can't sing to save his life).

If they manage to keep the drama a bit under control and get 1-2 good musical numbers out of each episode i'll stick around. Heck.. it's less than an hour each week to waste and it'll save me the time hunting down the music on Youtube.

And yes.. Kurt making such an impact at Vogue is ridiculous.. we are to believe a high school graduate/intern will impress a professional fashion/style expert so much she puts him in the inner circle after a few days? Weeeell.. it's a TV show.. let's move on.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote